Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 11, 2014   #121
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Had to think back to what wild meats I have eaten in my life. I have traveled a lot and foraged for my own food a lot.
Squirrel, good
Quail, good
Dove, good
Grouse, good
Rabbit, good
Turtle, good
Deer, Elk good
Alligator, good
Fish, good to excellent
Wild pig, excellent
Moose, excellent
Clams, Oysters, Mussels, conch excellent
Crawdads, shrimp, lobster, crabs excellent

But Raccoon? Threw it out without even tasting it. Stunk up the whole house trying to cook it. Luckily the dog ate it, reluctantly.

PS Had Bison before too, excellent, but it was farm raised. I would never kill one of the few remaining wild ones, even if I did happen to come across one.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #122
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It must have been an old bore coon.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #123
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Wild turkey and pheasant rated pretty low on the score card for me. Both were very tough in my opinion even though they were prepared by "expert" cooks.

Ted
I have a farm in Livingston Co here in KY that i bought to hunt on years ago. In 1978, the state released turkeys at several spots in KY, but wouldn't tell where.
The newspaper pictures of one of the releases showed one of the cages sitting on the stump that i used to sight my rifle in.
When we finally started hunting them, my little buddy was sitting on the steps of the old cabin putting his shoes on and spotted a tom coming around the side and headed toward the decoys we had laid out the night before.
After he shot him in the back of the head at under 20', he accused me of lying to him about how hard it was to hunt turkeys. That was 1998 and he's only killed two turkeys since.

I use the breast to feed guys breakfast in the duck blinds. I slice them across the grain, 1/8" or so thick, and saute no more than 30 seconds in two sticks of bubbling butter in an iron skillet over medium heat.
5 or 6 of these on a homemade biscuit with a cold glass of milk will make you change your mind about turkey not being good to eat. Some guys like a tiny bit of raspberry jam on the biscuit. I do deer tenderloin the same way.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #124
Geezer
Tomatovillian™

Ken,

Shoot me a PM when y'all go duck huntin' Heck, I'll even leave my shotgun at home!
Have knife and fork, will travel!

Evil Ed

Last edited by Geezer; February 11, 2014 at 07:41 AM.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #125
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Dewayne mater is the one that started it and I know he would be cool with the ((re-routing)) of the thread.
Hijack is such a dirty word.

Worth
Oh, I love the direction of the thread, especially in the depths of winter! However, if you ever invite me over to dinner...we are ordering pizza! Actually, my father tells me he loves scrambled eggs and squirrel brains. I'm not going there, but anything that means less squirrels gets two thumbs up from me!

Dewayne mater.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #126
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

My humble dinner of meatloaf just doesn't seem sufficient after reading this thread. Most of the unusual stuff I've had has been from the sea- including raw squid chopped up and left to marinade in it's innards and ink- but squirrel and many types of wild game I've never tried. That fried turtle and squirrel sounds delicious. I hear there's a restaurant around here that serves a lot of hunting game, I plan on trying it sometime.

After all, everything goes well with tomatoes
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #127
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I would add elephant liver and trunk (sliced across so that you get two holes in each slice), giraffe steak (excellent), warthog, impala, baboon (hands steamed in banana leaves)...Africa has been kind to me in many ways. Dog in Vietnam, snake in China, and perhaps some cat stew although I tried to avoid it. And who knows what is in those tacos in Mexico? Even the Mexicans don't ask.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #128
svalli
Tomatovillian™

We had a squirrel last summer to come to our balcony and eat the ripe strawberries from hanging basket and brake branches of my fuchsias, which had red buds looking like strawberries. Our son got so mad because he had just day earlier checked the strawberries and decided to let them ripen one more day.
My solution to the problem was to hang red ripe Naga Morich on the straberry basket and smaller hot peppers by the alpine strawberries. I set up a game camera on the balcony, but did not get any good photo of the squirrel tasting the Naga Morich, but there was a glimpse of it's tail in the photo so I know that the varmint had tried these new strawberries . After that the strawberries were left alone for rest of the summer.
Now we have had two squirrels coming to eat birdseed and peanuts on the balcony, so when growing season comes, I have to put the hot peppers by the strawberry plants before the berries ripen.

I have also eaten squirrel, which ate our peaches from the tree in Wisconsin and a cotton tail rabbit, which ate my broccoli. Both tasted good. The squirrels here are much smaller, so I would not kill them for meat, but the hares are bigger than rabbits and taste excellent

Sari
Old March 20, 2014   #129
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I saw a red-shouldered hawk hunting in my yard both yesterday and today!!! Woo hoo!!! the first time he caught a snake, the second time he wasn't so lucky. I've absolutely got to find a way to get a raptor perch set up, and do what I can to make a good environment for making a complete food chain in my yard. I'm trying to think of a good name for the hawk, I was thinking "Landroval" but that was a little too long. I'm thrilled to have a hawk as one of my neighbors, he might keep Fat Albert away
Old March 22, 2014   #130
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I saw a red-shouldered hawk hunting in my yard both yesterday and today!!! Woo hoo!!! the first time he caught a snake, the second time he wasn't so lucky. I've absolutely got to find a way to get a raptor perch set up, and do what I can to make a good environment for making a complete food chain in my yard. I'm trying to think of a good name for the hawk, I was thinking "Landroval" but that was a little too long. I'm thrilled to have a hawk as one of my neighbors, he might keep Fat Albert away
I have a lot of hawks and an occasional eagle in my area. I saw a bald eagle in a dead tree in the lake last year. The problem is they usually have eight or ten crows around them harassing them. With so many crows around, the raptors don't stay long. I saw a white pelican while crossing a bridge over the lake this morning. I don't remember seeing one this far north before.

Ted
Old March 23, 2014   #131
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I have a lot of hawks and an occasional eagle in my area. I saw a bald eagle in a dead tree in the lake last year. The problem is they usually have eight or ten crows around them harassing them. With so many crows around, the raptors don't stay long. I saw a white pelican while crossing a bridge over the lake this morning. I don't remember seeing one this far north before.

Ted
Usually hundreds of Bald Eagles winter on Lake Worth in Tarrant County.

The White Pelicans winter on the South side of Lake Chapala at Petatan and leave in April so it is odd that pelicans are already up North.

Quote:
The pelicans come to the lake area from Canada and they stay here all winter. They return at the beginning of April. They go back to British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Manitoba for breeding. Approximately 260,000 pelicans leave Canada each winter and most of them come here. It is a long flight back, 3,876 Kilometers.
Pelicans waiting for fishermen to give them fish parts.

Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #132
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Ted- That's really wonderful that you saw a bald eagle! I've never seen one before and I had no idea some of them winter around here.

My neighborhood has some crows, but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the raptors away. I've seen quite a few raptors flying overhead but they were too far away to ID. I live near a little wooded greenbelt with a stream running through it, I'm guessing it's where the raptors are nesting. I still need to read through 500 pages of the HOA guidelines to figure out how I can add barn owl & screech owl houses along with a few raptor perches to my backyard and not violate any rules.