Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default To peel or not to peel

Just picked my first cucumbers,do you peel them before eating or eat skin and all?I notice some salad bars keep the skin on and slice them very thin.I always peeled them.Today I just sliced them and put some salad dressing on them.I would think the skin adds more vitamins.Very good no matter how they are eaten.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #2
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

I am all for more vitamins. Cukes from my garden get their skins left on. Cukes from the store tend to get peeled.

Option 1: Take a fork and drag the tines down the length of the cucumber. Repeat until the entire cuke is covered in thin ragged edge lines. Slice.

Option 2: Peel the cuke in alternating longitudinal stripes. Slice.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Many cuke varieties have bitter skins,that's well known, the ones that are Cucumis sativus,true cukes, which is why I plant a variety of cukes, known to not have bitter skins,such as Miniature White and friends.

And why I prefer the Armenian cukes,used as cukes, but are really Cucumis melo,that's right, a melon. And no need to ever peel them and there are several kinds.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arme...&bih=788&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.b8_UOS2itAU

Carolyn
Old July 3, 2017   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Many cuke varieties have bitter skins,that's well known, the ones that are Cucumis sativus,true cukes, which is why I plant a variety of cukes, known to not have bitter skins,such as Miniature White and friends.

And why I prefer the Armenian cukes,used as cukes, but are really Cucumis melo,that's right, a melon. And no need to ever peel them and there are several kinds.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arme...&bih=788&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.b8_UOS2itAU

Carolyn
I grow both miniature whites and Armenian. Although only one Armenian sprouted..and a week late to boot. Must have been old seeds. Anyway another related "cuke" I grow is mouse melons.Melothria scabra Yummy. They are the cherry tomato of cucumbers. Then Burpless and for my normal cuke I grow straight eights. I might even try a Chinese cuke this year.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Mine are Garden Sweet,first year I have grown these.I love them with my Black Krim and Cherokee Purple tomatoes and basil with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as my dressing.This year I have used Alfalfa pellets and some Tomato Tone as my fertilizers to go with my winter rye and hairy vetch cover crop that I mowed and then planted into.This is my second year of no till.

Last edited by cjp1953; July 3, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #6
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

I prefer them peeled but if i'm too lazy to skin them it's no big deal. either way is good.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Depends on what I am doing with them.
I for one have grown all types of cucumbers and I have to say I cant say enough good about Boston Pickling and National Pickling for a highly productive all around good cucumber.
It is going to be a sad day at Worth's house when winter gets here.
I love cucumbers.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #8
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

The only bitter cuke I have grown is Straight 8. Alibi, Sweet Success, Cool Breeze, Poona Khera, Chicago Pickling, & Diva are always non-bitter for me and I don't peel them.

MikeinCypress
Old July 3, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Almost all commercial cukes are non bitter. Oddly some customers want the bitter skins and are disappointed by how...good the new cukes are.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #10
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

To me it depends on the variety and also when you pick them.
Younger ones have more tender skin than older ones.
Usually the varieties with bumpy skin have tougher skin.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #11
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Many times the cukes in the store have edible wax on them to prevent dehydration and people peel them to get rid of that wax because they don't want to eat it.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Over-sized picklers, cut up with onions and vinegar is a popular dish in my area. It's how my dad eats cucumbers. It also made me think I hated them for most of life. That dish combines my two least favorite things.

BUT...Sweet Success is something completely different to me. A slice of it, with a little cream cheese and sriracha sauce, is one of my favorite things, no peeling necessary.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

First paragraph sounds disgusting.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #14
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

There's only one good use for over-sized cucumbers -- turn them into Christmas Pickles!

I made them a few years ago with this recipe - http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/cinnamon-pickles/

I gave away a few jars and everyone thought they were made with apples. No one guessed they were cucumbers.

I'm hoping for enough cucumbers this year to let a few over grow to make them again, and still have enough of a harvest to keep my husband and son happy.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #15
imp
Tomatovillian™

I posted this in Worth's accidental garden thread, but it was meant for here, LOL. And yes, peeled for looks reason.

Long ago, and far away....

<Smile> I used to slice cucumbers very thinly on the mandolin and drop them into a big jar of Claussen's dill pickle juice, give them a quick shake and set aside while I toasted white bread or a sourdough ( San Francisco sourdough) . Left the toast to cool, then cut into pieces just big enough for a cucumber slice & spread with some soft butter, put a cucumber slice on top of the butter, add a very light smudge of creme freche to the cucumber slice, top that with a teeny bit of roasted red sweet pepper, or a bit of thin bacon pieces, maybe a bit of chopped chives or an edible flower.

They go together quickly, and make great bites or for a high tea sandwiches.

Yummy.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote