Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2017   #1
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Default Candy Sweet Icicle

It's the second season I'm growing this variety and I've read almost nothing about it here, but I feel like it needs some recognition

It's an icicle shaped tomato from Wild Boar Farms, it's labled as red with yellow stripes, personally I think it's very pretty It's larger than a cherry:

In my garden, it's extremly productive, I've never seen a tomatoe plant that puts out so many trusses in such short distances (sometimes just an inch between 2 trusses), mine are only out for like 3 and a half weeks and it has fruit set on at least 4 trusses Not flowers, but fruits. Many more buds are already showing up and it's pruned down to 2 stems. It's even faster than my early cherries.

It's a wispy plant that needs quite good support but well, I didn't tie it up early enough so it got a bit damaged and obviously it doesn't matter, still growing strong. It's not getting as high as my cherries.

I had some BER last year (I grow in SMALL containers) but really nothing bad, it was much worse in other varieties, not much loss here.

The taste is really as good as described, very sweet, with some fruity acidity but not too much. Makes a nice sauce but skins must be removed as it is very tough. That's the only downside for me, I don't like the thick skin. However, it doesn't split and keeps long on the vine and after harvest...

Last year I did grow it for its looks, this year it's the only variety that I'm growing again because it was just so good

Pictures are from last year.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

That's a pretty tomato. I might have to try that one.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #3
charline
Tomatovillian™

It's one of my very favorite cherries. Sooooo good! I have 3 plants this year.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

You lost me at thick skins. Very pretty but I very much dislike thick skins on any tomato.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #5
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Nice colors. When you eat it fresh, is the tough skin difficult? Or do you even try to take some off for then?
Old June 8, 2017   #6
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

The skin is noticeable, but I still like them for fresh eating. Overall the texture is nice because they are not all seeds and gel.
Old June 8, 2017   #7
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
You lost me at thick skins. Very pretty but I very much dislike thick skins on any tomato.
And you don't have that issue with the Artisan Cherries? They are hands down the thickest skinned cherries I've come across, especially the Bumble Bees.

I believe Candy Sweet Icicle is a selection out of the same line as Streak Lightning. Its a smaller bi-color version, Streak Lightning is pink striped. Both very productive and both early for me too. I prefer Streak Lightning for taste.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #8
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

This years plant:

As soon as a sucker shows up, it already has buds. It has MUCH more fruit set than Sungold and Black Cherry.
Old June 15, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
And you don't have that issue with the Artisan Cherries? They are hands down the thickest skinned cherries I've come across, especially the Bumble Bees.

I believe Candy Sweet Icicle is a selection out of the same line as Streak Lightning. Its a smaller bi-color version, Streak Lightning is pink striped. Both very productive and both early for me too. I prefer Streak Lightning for taste.
Only the Purple BB is thick skinned for me. I stopped growing it after the first year. My Pinkk, Sunrise, and blush all have thin enough skin to not notice.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #10
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Ooops, turns out that this years Candy Sweet Icicle is not true to type. The seeds came out of the exact same package as last year, the fruits do have the same shape and size, but aren't pink with yellow stripes but brown/red with green stripes, with the according taste of a dark tomato.

Problem is, although I can say that the taste is rich and would be loved by many - dark tomatoes are not my exact favorite and I was so looking forward to the fruity-sweet original tase