Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2017   #1
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Default ? about "nano"

I'm curious about the general understanding of the word "nano" when used in a tomato name. Google translate gives the translation of nano as Dwarf, midget, or runt.

I have 2 varieties I got in trade from an Italian that I finally got around to growing 1 is San Marzano Nano and the other is Ciliegano Nano. Both plants are on the small side but definitely NOT what we would call a dwarf. More like a small compact possibly determinate. Kind of like some of the early varieties like Matina or Stupice. Definitely no thick main stem or rugose leaves.

So what should we actually call Nano varieties ??

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've grown San Marzano Nano several times and always in a grow bag right next to my dwarf project varieties. The dwarfs are... dwarfs, and SM Nano is a semi-determinate bush that tops out at about 4 feet and continues piling on fruit right through the season.

I always thought "Nano" was just something that was tacked on to the variety by someone along the way. Maybe because it grew as a bush instead of a vine like the standard SM but was possibly close enough to a SM that they decided it was in the same family?? I've never been able to successfully grow a producing SM plant, so I have no idea how the Nano fruit compare.

Whenever I tried to research SM Nano, I would always find descriptions that said it was determinate and others saying it's indeterminate; some saying it's a true Paste, others saying it's best used for salsa. What I have is most definitely a Paste -- dry, feels "hollow" and has almost no gel or seeds. That little plant in a five gallon bag would produce well over 100 tomatoes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://206.214.211.133/~tomatovl/sho...t=22161&page=2

Hopefully the above link will help.

When I refer to Alex,he lived in Canada when I knew him, originally from Europe and collected seeds from Several countires.

And I know I can dig up still more info if I can find the link in my faves,where a friend got seeds from Russia I think,they needed translation, and Alex was one who helped since I think Russian was his native language.

I wanted to learn Russian and Alex sent me a book for dummies kind of thing and I bet I still have it here.

Hope the above helps, and I'll try to find that link in my faves when I have time. Possibly something in my old e-mails as well/

Carolyn
Old July 1, 2017   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link.

So it seems that 1 of the varieties is a cherry. It will be interesting to see if the Nano refers to the plant or the size of the fruit. It's too early to know either other than the fact that it's not a "dwarf" as we know dwarves (thick stem, stout with rugose leaves)

Carol
Old July 1, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a thread that should amuse all, while I search for the other stuff I promised

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4263

Carolyn
Old July 5, 2017   #6
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone, Carolyn contacted me to see if I could help with the question. Nano does directly translate to dwarf and I would guess that it means determinate rather than what we would consider a dwarf. Ciliega is the Italian word for cherry.

We just returned from a trip to Italy and I brought back some commercial varieties of tomato seeds as well as two types that I saved from tomatoes bought at the public market in Florence.
The commercial varieties are:
Scatolone: a large paste type used for saladas and sauce
Canestrino: a large pear shaped tomato native to Tuscany
Crovarese: a small fruit that is used for drying, similar to principe Borghese

The ones from the market are a cherry type from Sicily, very tasty, and a red medium sized tomato with ruffled shoulders.

If anyone is interested in growing these next year I can send a few seeds. Send me an email with your contact info.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(If anyone is interested in growing these next year I can send a few seeds. Send me an email with your contact info.)

Alex, unless you want to give your e-mail address here publicaly, yournchoice,maybe best to have folks PM you with what they might want.

There are a couple I want but I do have your e-mail address, as you already know.

And thanks so much for coming back here with some spelling correctons and so much more.

Carolyn
Old July 5, 2017   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Nano refers to the size of the San Marzano tomato. It means something small. In the picture are various San Marzano tomatoes from my garden, from the left: San Marzano Gigante, San Marzano Corzaro F1, San Marzano 3, San Marzano Lampadina and San Marzano nano. Even smaller is tomato Napoli which I do not have in this picture.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM2012,Gigante,CorsaroSM3,Lampadina,SMnano.jpg (125.8 KB, 71 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #9
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Concur with the above. I've grow San Marzano Nano, and the tomatoes are small - the vines are not. The fruit is much smaller than either regular San Marzano, or San Marzano Redorta... smaller than Roma, for that matter. Yields very heavily, though.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Nano refers to the size of the San Marzano tomato. It means something small. In the picture are various San Marzano tomatoes from my garden, from the left: San Marzano Gigante, San Marzano Corzaro F1, San Marzano 3, San Marzano Lampadina and San Marzano nano. Even smaller is tomato Napoli which I do not have in this picture.
Vladimír
Vladimir,when I looked into this I found

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/San_Marzano_Nano

Which was from you.

Here is her larger list

http://tatianastomatobase.com/w/inde...ty_List&from=S

When I checked the 2016 SSE Yearbook,the 2017 one is useless,here's what I find.

Several different San Marzanos, well known, and one listing from SSE itself for a San Marzno nano one, just giving an accession number and tomato number, 5638.

So what does this mean?

For those of us who are long term Lifetime SSE members it means what SSE has done many times, even with some of my own previously listed varieties,and taken a listing ,thawed out the seeds,until quite recently we were asked to send seeds of what we listed, they sent us a notice and actually included money, everyone I know returned the money and sent the seeds, planted them,saved seeds and are now relisting them.

If you look in the front of the YEarbook,any of them before the 2017 one, you'll find that SSE Heritage Farm has THE most listings in any yearbook.

What it means to many of us is that it's one of the major ways they make money. Nothing wrong with making money, I'm all for it, but doing it this way, I'm not alone in suggesting that it isn't the right way to go.

They have a new executive Director,I had heard rumors that they were looking for someone with ad and sales experience and that turned out to be true.

The number of SSE LISTED members has dropped considerably, from 700 to just about 400 two years ago.

What really bothers many of us is that the SSE Yearbook is no longer a place devoted to seed preservation,rather,just another place to buy seeds.

Two years ago,my choice, I asked to have all of my listings deleted, and what I got in return was being asked by two folks if I would consider donating my seed collection to SSE. I said I'd think about it, to be nice, but no way would I do that.

So I am still a Lifetime member and get all the publications, and do help out since 4 of my seed producers are SSE listed members,and I've told them any extra seeds they produce they can use for their own listings, and they have.

A very few times someone has been looking for a rare variety and asked me to see if it is SSE listed, and when it is, and by someone I know well, I offer to pay for the seeds, but they don't want the money from me.

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2017   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you MrBig for the clarification of Nano as the size of the fruit I will be getting.

And Scatalone is another of the varieties I got in the same trade and have growing this year. That was another one I didn't know what I would be seeing.

Carol
Old July 8, 2017   #12
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Yes, anyone can send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
(If anyone is interested in growing these next year I can send a few seeds. Send me an email with your contact info.)

Alex, unless you want to give your e-mail address here publicaly, yournchoice,maybe best to have folks PM you with what they might want.

There are a couple I want but I do have your e-mail address, as you already know.

And thanks so much for coming back here with some spelling correctons and so much more.

Carolyn

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Did anyone look at my post #10 here since I tried ever so hard to clarify what was going on with the word nano as Alex also did.

And I ask since there seems to be a difference of opinion here on what nano really means.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2017   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Alex, I had to come back here to write down what you are offering, so I will send you an e-mail, since I have it, listing those and then asking you what I can send you as thanks. The next seed offer is what I call the mostly international so name a country,color shape,etc, and I'll send back to you.

I do hope you have received some PM's from Folks who asked for seeds from you,I really do.

Carolyn