Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 24, 2016   #16
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of the "Baby Krim" tomatoes I discovered a few summers ago. (It might be another known variety, so please correct me if you know what it is! It came from a commercial package of Black Krim seeds. It has since grown true for everyone else who has grown it and reported to me.

It is pictured below alongside a sungold, blush and black cherry for reference, as well as a zapotec and a white tomesol. As you can see, it is significantly larger than a cherry so as to no longer be a cherry variety, but it maintains the uniformity of size, locule number and shape that a cherry has. It has green gel and is not overly dark inside, and maintains the slightly green shoulders of a Krim. It does not look like a Kumato to me, although some have suggested it may be related.

LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Thats exactly what i got from baby krim also. They look to be pretty consistent. Nice pics by the way
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016   #18
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Thats exactly what i got from baby krim also. They look to be pretty consistent. Nice pics by the way
Do you think it is a new variety? Did you like it enough to grow it again? Others have asked for seed this year, and I think I want to call it Lindy's Little Krim, if it gets a unique name.

Different from black Krim cherry, I think?
Old January 28, 2016   #19
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I think it could be a new variety and yes i am growing it again this year. I would wait and grow it a couple more generations to see if it stays consistent before distributing seed. It appears that it is not the same as Black Krim Cherry. As for the name you have chosen i like it. I will report back how this seasons plants do when i get some fruit.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #20
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
I am the tomatoville member who sent out the seeds to Baby Krim. It appeared in a commercial pack of Krim, and they were wonderfully uniform tasty fruits. It is good to know they are consistent, as they have been a baby size for me too! A small salad size.I have more seed saved if anyone else wants a cute baby Krim!

Just wanted to let you know that I have a plant growing from seed from you. I'm laughing my head off because since it was labled Baby Krim I figured the plant would be a baby too. No way, she at 7 foot right now, nice and healthy and bushy and has green tomatoes at the moment. Can't wait to see what she looks like and tastes like when fully ready.

Which reminds me, when is the best time to try and pick?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #21
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

When ripe, they will be red-purple but still have a slight green shoulder! They are more of a very dark brick red than true purple or black. At least for me! The plant is not small at all. I'm really interested in what you get from the plant! It's possible they are still not true breeding, but last year mine were and so were many others who reported to me so I think it was a sport not a cross! I got a smoky, slightly salty true black krim flavour. Krims do very very well in my garden, though. Good luck!
Old June 15, 2017   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! I'm growing one for myself this year. Last year I had too many tomato seedlings, so I gave one to a friend who let me sample two Lindy's Little Krims and they were very sweet. They were also very prolific in my friend's garden

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping to get this camera situation figured out so I can show you pics. I will save you some seeds and send them back to you. Wish I could send you a few tomatoes for you to try and evaluate. : (

Because of the high heat and humidity we have here for months on end, some folks report lots of problems with black tomatoes getting blights bad, but so far she really a beautiful plant. One thing I enjoy is the foliage almost as much or more than the tomatoes. Lots of branching and nicely spaced.

Thanks for letting me know about color and picking time. That's a big help.
Old June 15, 2017   #24
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

I traded with Lindy for some and its one of the best looking plants in my zone 3a garden. Just spotted the first green baby today. Looks like a real winner to me so far. I am grateful for the opportunity.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #25
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Here ya go Lindy! Thanks to some TV helpers my camera working on this different computer I have. First pics of your Lindy's Little Krim.

Rain out between the tropical storm rains got a few shots for you. Just learned where the resize button was , so hopefully pics not to big.

Wish somebody would hurry and start to blush. : ) Oh the anticipation!

Plant at 8' now and still growing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lindy's Little Krim 001.JPG (129.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Lindy's Little Krim 002.JPG (133.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Lindy's Little Krim 003.JPG (112.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Lindy's Little Krim 004.JPG (144.6 KB, 106 views)
Old June 22, 2017   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim was my gateway tomato, now there is a cherry one?!! Oh my heart be still!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Black Krim was my gateway tomato, now there is a cherry one?!! Oh my heart be still!
I know, LOL. That's the effect BK tends to have on people.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #28
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Wow! What a great looking plant! My plants are quite small still... they look great! May you have a wonderful harvest!!
Old June 30, 2017   #29
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Yippee! Finally some of the LLK fruits are starting to blush. I'm getting excited. I can see the start of the brick red color you mentioned. LLK really is a nice shaped tomato and it very productive. I like the size of it. It's not too small.

I did move the plant to were it getting a tiny bit of shade. it was doing really well, but on the over90F+ days with almost 90% humidity everyday, it was stressing just a tiny bit. A tiny bit of shade and she going to town again and setting new blooms and tomatoes even through our ugly weather. You got a good one in LLK. : )
Old June 30, 2017   #30
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

How do they compare in taste and size to Ron's Carbon Copy?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote