Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2017   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Chef Jeff

Anybody ever here of Chef Jeff's Heirloom plants? I only ask, because a friend of mine was so happy to finally try an heirloom, but then the plant is "Jet Star" a hybrid. What's their deal???
Old July 12, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes we have Chef Jeff plants here. It is just the name of a company. Maybe since "Jet Star" was introduced in 1969 they consider it an heirloom hybrid. LOL.
Old July 12, 2017   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Chef Jeff
never heard of her, probably for good reason.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #4
SacFly
Tomatovillian™

I'm also from western PA, and we have chef jeff's at our local nursery. We usually wind up putting in a few plants each year to fill in for things that didn't take or that I just can't be bothered with starting from seed.

I have to say I've been pleased with the quality of their plants, to the point that I look for the brand. Larger single plants, interesting-ish variety, pest and disease free. It fits the bill if you only need a couple of plants.

I would also be interested to learn the origins of the Chef Jeff's brand. Tell your friend not to worry about the Jet Star. It's not an heirloom, but it's a good tomato.
SacFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Chef Jeff's is where I found Box Car Willie for the first time. I was so impressed I always go see if any other gems show up. Plus Chef Jeff's have the only tomatillos I can ever get to grow and produce for me.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Chef Jeff is available here too. I love their plants, never a spot on them (unlike Bonnie). You can check their website for plants available in your area.

I bought a closeout "Worlds Hottest Pepper" plant today for under a dollar to grow in a pot. What was I thinking - you need gloves to touch the thing.

- Lisa

BTW, usual price here is $2.49. Much cheaper than the Bonnie Plants at the big box stores.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #7
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I buy a few Chef Jeff plants each year and they seem to do well. We mostly have Bonnie here but one store gets Chef Jeff.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #8
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Chef Jeff is how I got my Sun Gold this year (first time growing it). It was less expensive than the Bonnie version. Our garden centers are shrinking here and the choices are fewer.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I bought a closeout "Worlds Hottest Pepper" plant today for under a dollar to grow in a pot. What was I thinking - you need gloves to touch the thing.

- Lisa
Bonnie Plants label, right? One of my first "exotic" peppers was a Bonnie Plants "Worlds Hottest" that turned out to be Fatalii (a very good and very hot pepper). They are supposed to be Orange Habanero. Neither is a worlds hottest by any reasonable stretch. Later I bought another hoping it was a Fatalii. It wasn't.

Confused, I called BP and got a very nice lady that explained the situation.
  • Fatalii was a seed error by the local contracted nursery. BP would think about adding it as a regular, but it's not a universally known pep and way hot.
  • The "World's Hottest Pepper" labels were a mistake too, or rather bad judgement a number of years ago. If you see one, it is just someone trying to use up the stock. It should be Orange Hab. Which was a very good and prolific pepper.

Oh, and you NEVER need gloves to handle an un-cut pepper. The pod is designed to keep the hot stuff IN until you start mucking around with its innards.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #10
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

My friend's plant looks great and has lots of tomatoes on. I would certainly buy the plants. Look healthy. I did tell her it was a good tomato!