Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 24, 2018   #7006
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have gathered up all of my garden tomatoes cut up onion bell pepper some spices (cumin chili powder garlic black pepper and salt) a goodly portion of my fermented Poblano sauce and some cut okra I grew and it is simmering in big kettle.
Will add my left over cooked bait crawfish at just before serving time along with a roux.
You might call it crawfish gumbo, or you might not.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #7007
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Bump

I shop at a Latino market a lot. They have huge sections of fried pork skin. They taste great, but you may need to pull some hair off before you eat it. I prefer hairless pork skin.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #7008
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I always felt it helped to have some Cajun blood in your body to make really good Maque Choux. Because it varies a lot between old family recipes, preparation seems more instinctive than following a recipe. I love it.
Old June 24, 2018   #7009
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My mother was French Canadian and old world southern French.

I put a half can of Pabst Blue Ribbon in for good measuer.
Worth
Old June 24, 2018   #7010
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

"Whoopie pie - https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/whoopie-pies-107615"

I've been wanting to make these for the farmers' market. This looks like a recipe I need to try.
Old June 24, 2018   #7011
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
"Whoopie pie - https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/whoopie-pies-107615"

I've been wanting to make these for the farmers' market. This looks like a recipe I need to try.

Hope they do well at your market for you. They are quite tasty and easy enough to make, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #7012
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I'm always on the lookout for something different. We have too many bakers at our market.
Old June 24, 2018   #7013
imp
Tomatovillian™

I have made these with some creamy peanut butter added to the filling ( add after you cream the butter and confectioner's sugar, then add in the fluff and vanilla. I did not measure exactly, maybe a 1/2 cup of creamy PB, but tasted the filling to see if it was right to me.

Or even make it a coffee or mocha version for something different.
Old June 24, 2018   #7014
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

The wife and I decided to have subway sandwiches for dinner today. We typically get our sandwiches from Subway, but decided to try some different types today. I tried New York subs a few years ago and found them over priced and no more than equal with other sub shops in quality. Recently, Firehouse Subs and Jersey Mike's have opened shops in the area. I went to both and got carry out menus. While prices were similar and sandwich types were also similar, we ordered our sandwich's at Firehouse Subs and will try Jersey Mikes next time we are hungry for Subs.

We may go back to Subway in the future because of all the choices available in breads and fillings/ We prefer their flatbread sandwiches and all the veggies they can cram on. Subway prices seem a little less expensive as well.
Old June 24, 2018   #7015
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The only sandwich place I will eat at that is a chain is Jonson's Deli
And I only get the New York Yankee.
The prices are fair and they have a salad bar too.
Plus free frozen yogurt.
You simply cant lose.
And they have reubens too.

Worth
New York Yankee.

Old June 24, 2018   #7016
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

East meets west.
Crawfish bacon gumbo on basmati rice from the Himalayas.
Worth
IMG_20180624_10783.jpg
Old June 24, 2018   #7017
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I love me some Subway!! I always get the Italian BMT with lettuce, tomato, cukes, onions, bell pepper, black & green olives, mayo, S&P, oil and vinegar dressing on white bread. I tell them to drench it with oil and vinegar and that makes it close to a muffuletta. I like the sandwich warm too but usually I'm in too much of a rush to have them do it. I get a footlong and that makes an excellent leftover served warm!!!!!

The trick to make this sammie awesome is have them toast the bread with the Provolone cheese before they start assembly.
Old June 24, 2018   #7018
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't call that a gumbo, it's more like smothered okra with crawfish and the okra isn't nearly smothered enough to even call it that. That's my Cajun interpretation.

With that said I have eaten okra that way and it's good, not nearly as intense okra flavor but good. Those dishes always came from other peoples interpretation. I don't think people realize the degree we smother okra or they just think it's supposed to be boiled because that's the short cut restaurants take.

How can you go wrong with okra, crawfish and bacon!!!!! I'd eat it at least once and clean out the pot if it's good but the only thing that matters is if you like it. We all have different tastes and cooking styles.

Pro Tip: A little File', spiced vinegar and a soft boiled egg on that would be awesome.

What are you gonna make with the rest of the pot? May I suggest you add some gizzards, chicken and smoked sausage to make another gumbo.
Old June 24, 2018   #7019
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm still cooking the Corn Maque Choux, there's onion,red and green bells, butter, EVOO, chicken stock and some Cajun seasoning with a little cayenne to bring the heat right. It's tasting good and now I'm just reducing the liquid.

I apologize to the Texans but there's beans in this chili and it taste great, it's topped with Cowboy Candy jalapenos, cheese, green onion tops and a dab of sour cream. And Ya'll know I have to have cornbread with chili.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2420.JPG (388.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2419.JPG (272.3 KB, 23 views)
Old June 24, 2018   #7020
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I'm still cooking the Corn Maque Choux, there's onion,red and green bells, butter, EVOO, chicken stock and some Cajun seasoning with a little cayenne to bring the heat right. It's tasting good and now I'm just reducing the liquid.

I apologize to the Texans but there's beans in this chili and it taste great, it's topped with Cowboy Candy jalapenos, cheese, green onion tops and a dab of sour cream. And Ya'll know I have to have cornbread with chili.

My Mom used to make something like your Maque Choux, but she often added both tomatoes and okra and held the corn to added toward the end of cooking, so it stayed a bit crisp? Been a long time, and thank you for bringing a pleasant memory up.

It's all the way each likes their chili. Different regions make the changes or adaptions to suit themselves. I've had chili over spaghetti up north, not bad but the chili was a bit sweet to me, but plenty good enough to eat, LOL.