Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Week Ago   #7726
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You come up with some weird stuff sometimes! But you have to keep trying new stuff like the 1st person to eat an oyster!!!

Here's a taco story and it wasn't cheap either but it had to be done.

Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 to set up for a market at Shadows on the Teche amongst the old graves. If you look to the left next to that tree you can see a red umbrella.

It's this thing and it's filling the air with the smell of tamales. I was hungry and the smell was killing but I didn't have cash on me so after I finished setting up I left and tried to find a taco place open at 10AM.

I didn't find one but I did stop at one of the oldest sandwich shops in Lafayette and had to settle for a 10" shrimp poboy. Or is it a bread taco?

I could only eat half, I think they put 2lbs of shrimp on this thing.

After a nap I still had a craving for tacos so I made a trip to stock up.

I made pico then salsa verde with roasted veggies and let it sit in the fridge till supper.

Grilled the chuck eyes and pineapple

And finally had tacos, they were worth the wait too.

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7727
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh my! That shrimp sandwich is... amazing... only rivaled by... your tacos!!!
I just had a sandwich for supper... not in the league!!! Now I'm hungry again..
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7728
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

"""You come up with some weird stuff sometimes! But you have to keep trying new stuff like the 1st person to eat an oyster!!!"""

There are tuna dishes like this.

I simply substituted the swimming thermometers for sardines.

It was very good.

Worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #7729
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,
Here in Cypress we have a place that is run by some Cajun Refugees from Katrina that has Po-Boys like the one you showed. About 2 lbs of fried Shrimp on a 14" loaf of French Bread dressed all the way. - $15.00 or so. Two meals right there.

MikeInCypress
Old 1 Week Ago   #7730
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Bower, we're spoiled here with an abundance of seafood and great french bread bakeries. Even the grocery stores here bake fresh dough from the popular bread places. Sometimes the bread doesn't make it home whole, it's hard not to sample when you buy it still warm.

Worth, I goggled your dish and it seems like a popular thing for kids. I haven't had it but if kids eat it then it must be good. I would like to try this recipe.

Mike, I'm glad you get to sample some of our food. Keep them in business!!!!

I had to cook for myself tonight and also had to break down 2 pork butts to make sausage. These were on sale and I needed more sausage and that gave me a reason to play in the kitchen. I had to buy them at this price.

After cleaning and chopping I started on supper. I used a few chuncks of pork, sliced it thin, beat it with a saucer, seasoned it with Tony's and Cavenders, coated with corn starch, dipped in eggwash and dredged in panko. Deep fried for 3 minutes and then made some Pioneer gravy and served with a salad.

It's country fried pork medallion chips. These were crunchy and tender. Salad and ranch dressing was a good meal and light too. Next time I wanna try Buffalo sauce on them, that should be good with the crispy panko crust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2947.JPG (306.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #7731
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Those look delicious!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7732
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes, cheap eaten reminds you that it's not all good. I saw 2 lbs. Tilapia filets for under $7. It has been around two years since we last bought them. I forgot that I needed to empty the spice rack to give them some taste. Oh well, about $11 fed a family of 6 a meal.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7733
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Montreal Steak Seasoning is our go-to for jazzing up meat, fowl and fish.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7734
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Montreal Steak Seasoning is our go-to for jazzing up meat, fowl and fish.
We like it too. It's cheap here at HEB grocery stores. It's a dollar for a 2.87 oz. container.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7735
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The Pork Anaconda when roasted whole around here have been known and fondly referred to as the "Emperor Scuppers" as opposed to a mere "Mr. Scups" for lesser loins.
I'm with you on chopping em up. This is a great deal on meat, and I have been very happy with the thick steaks and smaller roasts I have cut and frozen out of the Anacondi past. Good find!

I always envy people carrying those inexpensive loins out of the grocery stores. I no longer purchase them because in my experience, they have the flavor profile of Styrofoam. I've injected them. I've slow cooked them, I've brined them. I've baked them covered in herbs. I've cooked them as roasts and as chops and they still taste like Styrofoam all dressed up with no place to go. For me, pork loin and chicken breast are waste meat from the same animal. I do like chicken breast cut into nuggets, seasoned, breaded; and deep fried. I wonder how pork loin nuggets would taste prepared the same way.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Week Ago at 09:53 AM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7736
imp
Tomatovillian™

I agree on the pork loins, sort of like the filet steaks, not enough taste no matter what I do to them, except if I cut the pork and pound it out for schnitzel, LOL, but that is like eating pork potato chips in some ways. I can get flavor into chicken breasts, but the pork loin is just too much to mess with for just me as well as the flavor thing.

Also, too lean for my taste.

I tend to like meats from muscles that have worked more and developed more flavor ( to me).

Might have fish tonight, trying to decide still.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7737
imp
Tomatovillian™

Complete change of mind, LOL!!

Cool and wet here, so making a dish from my childhood, my Mom called it goulash but it's not, LOL. Mini penne pasta , sauce, diced tomato, onions and garlic, some browned burger and let cook slowly. Parmesan cheese at the end, and a warm and low cost dinner with more than enough for left overs or "come again".
Old 1 Week Ago   #7738
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Deli turkey breast wrapped in a pita, dipped in a little hummus. After hiking and also wading in the cool clean beautiful Youghiogheny River at Ohiopyle, PA. Shared a bit of the turkey with a friendly feral cat. What a great day.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7739
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I ate my leftover fish bait for supper.
Worth
Old 6 Days Ago   #7740
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Pork loin with no flavor - your kidding me right? Find someone to buy hog from that raises them on dirt! Doesn't taste remotely like the stuff you buy in the store.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote