Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 5, 2010   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default is this nuts or what!

my garden is surrounded by a 28" tall fence and it has kept out varmints for 10 years tho the deer just step over it. i seem to have very considerate deer as they seldom eat anything and carefully walk down aisles and avoid stepping into beds, rather they step over them!

but i have had some sob that is digging in shredded leaves that i use for mulch on some plants. it started with peas, then garlic and now onions. this thing seems to be walking thue the onion plants are so small. the garlic is normal sized and like a forest so the digging is at the edges of the garlic bed.

so the other day after seeing most of my plants pushed over, lying down, leaves tangled into/with other onion plants and more digging almost every day i erected a 3' tall fence around the onion bed! it's 5' wide and 12' long. it's flimsy (on purpose) so it can't be climbed and since i put it up saturday no more digging. i suspect a coon, i doubt a possum is smart enough to climb the 28" tall fence.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #2
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Tom Are the critters eating any thing or just digging? Skunks are bad at digging in mulch looking for grubs and worms to eat.
YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

just digging. i doubt a skunk can climb a fence even just 28" tall but a coon sure can!

i checked again today and no disturbance in the shredded leaves in the onion bed so hopefully i have discouraged whatever it is to not come into the garden anymore. i'm sure coons would mess with ripening tomatoes and that would be a disaster so i'm hopeful this will break the habit and my tomatoes will be safe.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote