Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 24, 2007   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Stark Bros

I have been looking through this catalog in anticipation of purchasing some apple, peach, and cherry trees to start my orchard at my new place. We will be going back for a short trip at the end of April. First question, has anyone ordered from Stark and are they reputable/good quality? Second, would that last weekend in April be an appropriate time to attempt planting trees in Zone 5/Kansas? I would like to get them in this year to get a start on things but have never grown fruit trees before. Thanks
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My strong recommendation on fruit trees is found at the link below

http://www.southmeadowfruitgardens.com/

I used to get their paper catalogs. They are the fruit analogue of Tomato Growers Supply as far as wonderful, unique, historically relevant varieties - and old apples are incredible! I put Stark and Miller in the same category - the Burpee of fruit catalogs (too commercial/mainstream, too expensive)...but that is just my opinion!

hmmm - wonder how I REALLY feel!?
Old February 24, 2007   #3
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Wow, they really have a wonderful selection! I wish they had more descriptions about hardiness, cultivation, and taste for those whom don't know but I had done a fair amount of research beforehand. The prices are excellent; for the price I would have gotten a tree from Stark with several years to wait until bearing, I could get one from this place that is near to ready. I will definitely be giving them a call or email in the near future. Thanks a bunch!
Old February 24, 2007   #4
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Looking further into the site, I see that they do offer a paper catalog as you mentioned. They state they have the descriptions listed in that so I have requested one. Thanks again, Lori
Old February 24, 2007   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can actually see descriptions of all of their varieties on the web site - they are pretty good and detailed. I purchased three trees from them many years ago when I lived in PA - Cox Orange Pippin, Jonagold, and Ashmead's Kernel. The trees grew quickly and well, but we had to move before they gave many fruit.
Old February 25, 2007   #6
Downinmyback
Tomatovillian™

I have purchase trees from Starks Brother before. The tree are excellent and produce the greatest taste. The only problem i had with any of their products was when they pruned the tree too much and during a hot hot year i didnot water it enough because it had little leaf . and it died but they replaced it for free during the first year . But a top graded company.
Old March 3, 2007   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from Stark several times. The prices in comparison to the quality is the best deal of any tree seller I have come across. From them I have purchased three apple varieties, two peach varieties, two apricot varieties and several ornimentals. I have had 100% survivability (?) and fruit has set on all old enough to have fruit. You can have the trees pruned or unpruned. Turn-around from order to shipping has been very quick for me. Quality is outstanding and price compares to the discount box stores.

Up the road about twenty miles from me is the Arbor Day Foundation in Nebraska City whose business is trees. In our area, this group is probably the most famous tree sellers and they compare well to Stark but without the variety of fruit trees.

So how do I really feel about Stark? Get their catalogue, check the price and if you have local sources with better price/quality you are fortunate. For mail order they are pretty good. A few years ago they were bought out by a larger conglomerate but retained the flavor of the original company...so far.
Old March 3, 2007   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Lori: I just now noticed you were planning to plant in Kansas----does that mean the move will finally take place? If so, there is a pretty good local tree seller in north Kansas called Grimm's Gardens. They are also getting into heirloom tomatoes strongly as well. If you need help with the move let me know, I am only a short trip away.