Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 2, 2013   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

joseph, you have my sympathies as we had the same problem with the managers of craft sales events. They seemed to think that scheduling performance events during the show would attract buyers, but nothing could be further from the truth. No sales were made during performances, which were too loud, interfered with communication, and drew attention away from the shopping activity. Every hour of performance was an hour of selling we paid for and did not get value in return!

Low level music is okay during a sales event but should never be louder than an ordinary conversation between customers and sellers, especially if the music is live and there is a visible performer or band to also draw visual attention away from the goods. I also found that people who come to the event to see the performance are in the mood to be entertained, not to shop. There is no value for me as a seller, when my goods become part of an entertainment event, to amuse people who are not there to buy in the first place.

Sellers pay to attend the market, and the managers are responsible to you. In my opinion you have every right to complain and not through customers either. Talk to the other sellers and you will find many who agree - the managers should listen to you as the paying clients.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2013   #17
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

At my F.M., they are booking music entertainment. Just started. Most have been "just right" Acoustics. Guitar, harp, and a violin(fiddle). No amps, which I agree is waaayyy too much for this event. Did the market seek them out, or did they ask to perform? Most bands would be grateful to get a gig, and not try to do anything that would prevent a more lucrative, continual "thang"....(If they were smart). or they're just thoughtless punks thinking they're going to get "discovered" at the Farmer's Market?????
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote