Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old August 8, 2006   #46
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Donna and Cecilia,

The question is, will there be enough grill space? From your experience Cecilia how many grill were available at the park? I would assume that there were two or three.

In any event I can bring an addition charcole grill if that would help.

Greg
Old August 9, 2006   #47
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

There are two grills located just outside our pavilon. The permit from the county, however, states:

Charcoal fires are permitted only in park-owned or private grills. No fires are permitted inside the pavilions.

So, if Greg (or anybody else) would like to bring a portable grill along, that is fine, as long as it's set up outside the pavilion. So I guess a tabletop model wouldn't be practical, although a full-size portable one should be.
Old August 16, 2006   #48
lightt
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I really don't think I'm going to have any tomatoes left by Aug 26th but I plan on being there regardless.
Terry Light
Oak Hill, Virginia

GW/tomatoville member: Number of Guest + self:
Greg 2 adults 4 kids
Cecilia 1 adult + 1 maybe
Janetm 1 adult + ?
Peggy 1 adult + 1 maybe
Tanagerzoo (Christine) 2 adults + 2 kids
Kimka 1 adult + ?
Collectordi ?
Steve 1 adult + ?
CottonPicker 2 adults
Cynthia ?
Noreaster ?
Dunkel 1 adult
Scott 1 adult + ?
Gardenpaws_va ?
Mary & John (manure_queen) 2 adults
John (JerseyJohn) 2 adults
Reg (Reginak) 1 adult (date dependent)
Noreaster 2 adults
bluekat (Kim) + 1 adult

Trudi & Steve
Donna Marie + 1
Terry

Total Number: 33
Old August 16, 2006   #49
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Default Please add Hubs

My husband, Steve, is coming down! We're looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm packing up lots of seeds to bring for sharing.

Trudi
Old August 16, 2006   #50
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Trudi, thank you so much for offering to do a winter sowing demo at MAGTAG. I've been curious about WS, and am lookking forward to it!
Old August 16, 2006   #51
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Default Thank you!

Thank You Cecilia!

It's a lot of fun--it really is. I caution you all ahead of time. WS is highly addictive!

Not too far from Balto is The USDA National Agriculture Library in Beltsville, MD. They gave me the "wind beneath my wings" when they asked me to be an equal partner in the AgNIC Alliance: http://www.agnic.org/

It's nice to be legit!

I'll be bringing lots of seeds to share with everyone--not just tom seeds--of which I do have many--but also flowers, ornamentals and veggies too. I'll bring some handouts, recycles and soil, duct tape and a sharpie, so with a few victims, er uh oh, I mean volunteers we'll do a hands-on demo followed by Q&A. It doesn't take long to teach as it's such a simple concept, but it will be informing and hopefully everyone will come away enlightened, or at least curious, lol.

Hubs and I will be cheking into a lodge on Friday (America's Best Inn?), so we'll be well rested.

Trudi
Old August 17, 2006   #52
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Yeah Wintersowing! I have read about it and know a couple of people who love it. I am looking forward to having it explained to me. Thanks Trudi!

Is no one going to enter any of the Tomato Recipe Competitions?? I will be the default winner but a hollow victory

I have mentioned to Cecilia that we could bring some of whatever is still needed - disposables, coolers, food - whatever just let me know.

Greg - we live just north of you off 270- the Hyattstown exit before Urbana.

-Kim
Old August 17, 2006   #53
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Kim, if nobody else decides to enter the recipe contests, we'll just cancel them. We need food anyway!
Old August 17, 2006   #54
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I have 3 different salsas and may bring 2 of them for the competition. I will have to post but I am guessing many will make things at the last minute and most don't can stuff the way I do (although many do!).

Bluekat,

It will be neat to see how many true tomato enthusiast there are around MD. I don't run into many on the street so I figure its a bit of a rarified crowd but I guess thats the whole reason to put on one of these events to begin with!

Greg
Old August 17, 2006   #55
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

We have been selling our extra's @ a stand in front of our house. The signs say heirloom tomatoes but people still want round red so it is education time. I did meet this one man who also grows his own heirlooms and he brought me some of his! Lucky Me! I gave him a tour of the garden and we had a great time. That is one person is two years! Plenty of appreciative tomato eaters though.

I look forward to tasting plenty of tomato varieties - I will carry my salt shaker in the other hand while I taste

-Kim
Old August 21, 2006   #56
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default can't attend this year....

Won't be able to make it to the meet this year. Got pressing business back in OK....nope, it's not to pick cotton!! Too bad.... wanted to meet all the folks & be able to match a face with a name that I see on the screen. Also... wanted to sample the wonderful brews from gflynn!!

N-Joy the meet!!
Larry (cottonpicker)
Old August 24, 2006   #57
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cottonpicker,

Sorry you can't make it. I just sent an email out to everyone that I haven't heard from in awhile and its quite a list. I figure will have a nice crowd.

Do come next year!

Greg
Old August 24, 2006   #58
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to meeting everyone! Hope it dosen't rain

I might not get there by 10 (I am in NJ) but will get there as soon as I can!
Old August 24, 2006   #59
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Donna,

Glad to hear it. Cecilia's schedule leaves lots of room for people to meander in with plenty of time to share tomatoes at the tasting.

She said her internet is down today and she took the day off to work on the event at home. Maybe next year we should have a polka band?

Greg
Old August 24, 2006   #60
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Last night I went to a Met game and it was Polish American night--they had a Polka Band and Polka Dancers. It was very nice--polka bands are great ;-)

We're busy getting the odd chores done here. I've made some kits and have printed out brochures for sowing tomatoes in buckets and I've got oodles of tom seeds for sharing.

Tomorrow morning we'll select toms from the garden to bring and then be on our way after packing.

Hugs,

T