Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 20, 2010   #16
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

When I was a kid, I lived on a ranch with my parents and two sets of Uncles and Aunts and their combined 17 kids (Irish Catholic... )

Anyway, My Mother and my Aunts baked every Wednesday (Thursday was laundry day and Tuesday was sewing day..you get the picture...) Anyway, when we were walking home from school on Wednesdays, we could smell the fresh bread a long way off. Our "special treat" was fresh hot bread with real butter and strawberry jam. I am making my mouth water thinking about it! (My Kid says "what's the big deal, it was only bread and jelly..." He just does not "get" it.) We did not get a lot snacks growing up and dessert only on Sunday so anything sweet was a big treat and the smell and taste of that fresh bread sticks with you no matter how old you get...So I understand why warm, whole wheat raisin bread would "bring them running" at work or class...Fresh bread still ranks as a "top ten" treat for me!
Old February 20, 2010   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpaws_VA View Post

That said, tell me if you want a really good part-whole wheat raisin bread. It's a favorite with our family, even little kids, and when I take it still warm to office or class, it disappears.
I would really like to see your recipe for raisin bread.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #18
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

As would I. I like raisin bread, and haven't had any for a long time.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #19
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I would really like to see your recipe for raisin bread.

Raybo
probably tomorrow, unless I'm up longer today than I intend. It's going to take a while to type it out with my left hand.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #20
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions. The recipe I used called for water, and sugar, not honey or milk, also, I used the medium crust setting. I'll have to experiment. When subsituting milk for water is it just the same amount? What about honey for sugar?
Old February 20, 2010   #21
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Whole Wheat Raisin Bread

Put in bread machine in this order:

1 1/4 cups very warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups white, unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (regular or bread flour, NOT pastry flour)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (can adjust to taste)
2 teaspoons rapidrise or instant yeast (keep it a little separate from the cinnamon)

Use the quick cycle, for a 1 1/2 pound loaf. When it pings for adding extra
ingredients (or nearly at the end of the kneading period), add 3/4 cup dark raisins.
Old February 20, 2010   #22
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! That sounds like a nice easy recipe too! I'll try it out on my day off....think i have some raisins somewheres around here....
Old February 21, 2010   #23
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Mmmmm... w/w raisin bread - sounds DELISH!

Oh, for the new ABM owner - Walmart (among other places) carries Vital Wheat Gluten w/Vitamin C (Hodgson Mills brand). I use 1/2 the amount suggested on the label - it does 2 good things for bread: 1. Improves elasticity which makes bread texture better; 2. keeps homemade bread fresh for 3 to 4 days versus the 1 to 2 days one otherwise gets.
Once you open it, store in freezer bag in freezer next to your rapid-rise yeast.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2010   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

stormy,

Could you please expand a bit on why Vital Wheat Gluten does this, and what amount per loaf do you add in, and when do you add it?

thanks,

Raybo
Old February 21, 2010   #25
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
Mmmmm... w/w raisin bread - sounds DELISH!

Oh, for the new ABM owner - Walmart (among other places) carries Vital Wheat Gluten w/Vitamin C (Hodgson Mills brand). I use 1/2 the amount suggested on the label - it does 2 good things for bread: 1. Improves elasticity which makes bread texture better; 2. keeps homemade bread fresh for 3 to 4 days versus the 1 to 2 days one otherwise gets.
Once you open it, store in freezer bag in freezer next to your rapid-rise yeast.
The added gluten is a great idea if you can't get hard-wheat (ie high gluten) bread flour - it makes up the difference if you have to use all-purpose flour. If you are already using flour specified as bread flour, though, you shouldn't need to add gluten.

Of course, if you're including significant percentages of materials where gluten is low (rye flour) or absent (corn or oat products) then adding straight gluten could be very useful.
Old February 21, 2010   #26
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Gluten is the stretchy stuff that traps the flatulence given off by the yeasts as they ingest & digest carbs in the dough. Our US flour is softer than Canadian & European flours - less gluten. Our flour makes great biscuits, pastries & cakes but needs some more gluten to make great bread.

The vitamin C has 2 benefits:1. natural preservative effect to keep bread fresh; 2. Yeast (like primates) need to ingest vitamin C so they yeast get a nutritional boost from its presence.

Hodgson Mills brand has both & I like it like that. Too fiddly to do the gluten & then mess with crushing tablets...
Old February 21, 2010   #27
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks stormy. I will pick some up before I make my next loaf. How much should I add in to the mix?

Raybo
Old February 21, 2010   #28
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I use < 1/2 the amount listed on the package - if I use what they say my bread gets a weird texture. Max I use for 5-6 cups of flour is about 3/4 tablespoon. You will see a nice difference in your bread. Definitely not a "more is better' thing but some really helps.

I love good bread - of all kinds. There is a place for soft white (unbleached) buttermilk/potato bread - it is the perfect holder for a big slab of fresh warm from the sun summer tomato adorned only with a schmear of Hellman's, some salt & fresh ground black pepper....Mmmmmmm......
Old May 21, 2011   #29
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I dont use a bread machine. I use the no-knead method. Here is a olive bread I made today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bread1.jpg (44.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg bread2.jpg (43.2 KB, 19 views)
Old May 21, 2011   #30
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I substituted V-8 juice or tomato juice for water and added a handful (generous) of shredded cheese - your choice. It worked really well and had a great taste. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote