Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 24, 2017   #1
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Default PH's 2017 Garlic Trials

So I wanted to share my first garlic attempt with you guys. Maybe I can help someone else out through my mistakes or hopeful successes.
I planted 30 pounds total of cloves back on Halloween weekend in 2016.
Music and Romanian Red.

Beds are 36" wide. Garlic is spaced 9" apart in all directions.
Music (Large bulbs) planted a 140' bed. Romanian Red (Large bulbs) planted 105' bed. And Romanian Red (Jumbo bulbs) planted an 80' bed.
The 3rd bed (jumbo Romanian) looks unbelievably great, green, and robust.
They were planted 1 week after the other two rows in the first weekend of November. Everything else is the same (supplier, fert, soil, methods).

I think weeding is for the birds and was concerned with wheat and weeds sprouting in straw (plus it keeping the soil too cool in early spring), so i am using 3 mil landscape fabric with two runs of drip tape underneath.
Used a long handle propane torch to burn the holes (attaches to small campstove bottle). First I cut out holes with a hole saw on a drill into a 3' wide piece of plywood. Lay the board onto the fabric and then your spacing is set up for the holes and it keeps the torch from melting too big of a hole. So far since planting last fall, I've spent about 10 TOTAL minutes weeding, just because I wanted to clean up a handful of holes where a couple of henbit or chickweed poked out with the garlic stalk. They would have been fine if I left them because they die of this time of the year (the cool season weeds) anyway.

Pre-plant fertilizer was an organic based chicken manure with sulfate of potash. The formula was 8-4-4. I foliar fed with some Dr. Earth Organic stuff I got on clearance from HD for $2.33/hose end bottle. Normally is like $20. Looks like really good stuff but too expensive for large areas. But I used it twice as an early quick shot in mid and late march. I have put nitrogen through the drip once a week starting in late-march (calcium nitrate, equivalent of 10 lbs of actual N per acre per feeding). Plan on doing the last feed this week.
April has been very dry here. Unusually so. I've had to run the drip 3-4 times in April.
Waiting for scape season and then harvest.
Have seen some tip burn. Not sure if that was from the cold spell in early march after they emerged from a MILD winter, or N deficiency, or 100 other factors. It is just the tips which sounds normalish. If the entire leaf would turn color or wilt, I'd worry, but it's just tips.

March 25th 2017

Garlic 3-25-17d.jpg

Garlic 3-25-17e.jpg

Garlic 3-25-17f.jpg

Garlic 3-25-17g.jpg

April 10th 2017

garlic 4-10-17.jpg

garlic 4-10-17a.jpg

Last edited by PureHarvest; April 24, 2017 at 03:29 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote