Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2015   #466
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

And Carolyn, I still have that book you signed at the Hortus event in Orange, Calif. in 2002?

"Barbara, welcome to the wonderful world of tomatoes! - Carolyn"

It is sitting right here next to my computer, pristine condition. I bought another one later to be my "go to" book so I wouldn't ruin this one. This is a "must have" book for any tomatophile.
Old December 28, 2015   #467
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I think I was one of the first 50 people to join here. I remember I knew it was about to launch (I think you told me.) and maybe even waited a few days before it got open. I remember asking where all the other "posts" were, since the page I was reading only had a few. It only had a few because the site was just opening and hardly anyone had posted yet! That's how early I was to jump on board.
I can't believe it will be ten years...a solid decade....that Tomatoville has been here by the time Feb rolls around. This has sure proven to be a good site, and one I've really enjoyed. I remember being excited when we hit 1,000 members...then 2,000....and now....what is it? 15,000? Defintely a success! And I've met a lot of very nice people here. Not just good tomato people, but good people all the way around.
Old January 12, 2016   #468
Brianmch
Tomatovillian™

Another copy sold.

I have some of my seeds from last year and understand that the seed starting section is great. I'm excited!
Brianmch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #469
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

This has likely come up before, but I'm not keen on wading through 32 pages of this thread...

Who owns the copyrights to the book now? IIRC, Smith & Hawken was sold or went out of business. Has anyone ever approached the current owner(s) about letting it go to Kindle (or other) e-format? Just curious after seeing the prices for the paperback edition on Amazon. I got a new hardback quite a few years ago, but the demand for this book still seems to be quite strong.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #470
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
This has likely come up before, but I'm not keen on wading through 32 pages of this thread...

Who owns the copyrights to the book now? IIRC, Smith & Hawken was sold or went out of business. Has anyone ever approached the current owner(s) about letting it go to Kindle (or other) e-format? Just curious after seeing the prices for the paperback edition on Amazon. I got a new hardback quite a few years ago, but the demand for this book still seems to be quite strong.
-GG
I think this link will work for you and I think it is the last time it was discussed here.
Worth
http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=440
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #471
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Worth1. I read that Target Corp. (USA) had acquired the intellectual property of S&H. So it sounds like three parties are involved, but that is the same as when S&H was part of the equation. Oh, well, I got my copy... :-)
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #472
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

There are some good deals on the turtlebacks if you're diligent, just keep checking because they don't stay listed long. I've picked up 2 in very good condition in the last 4 months for under $12 including shipping through Amazon.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2016   #473
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Received my copy today. Can't wait to dive in.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2016   #474
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Received my copy today. Can't wait to dive in.
It's a great book. I really enjoy the descriptions of the flavor and the photos of all varieties. The book has identified varieties I wouldn't have heard about, even being on this forum. I've gotten seeds for a fair number of them and will be enjoying them over the coming years. I always pull the book out and re-read each 100 varieties each winter.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #475
Brianmch
Tomatovillian™

I got my book yesterday too and immediately dove in! Very interesting book Carolyn. The tom on the front cover is one of my favorites so I felt right at home. This will be my first attempt to grow toms from seed, most from seeds I kept from last years plants. Other efforts at for seed growing haven't gone very well but I have identified a couple errors. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Brianmch; January 22, 2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spacing
Old January 22, 2016   #476
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Good luck Brian! Don't give up and have back up seedlings. ;-)
Old January 23, 2016   #477
Brianmch
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking of 6 to 8 seeds of each of my 4 varieties. I've only got a 48 sf bed.
Old January 23, 2016   #478
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmch View Post
I got my book yesterday too and immediately dove in! Very interesting book Carolyn. The tom on the front cover is one of my favorites so I felt right at home. This will be my first attempt to grow toms from seed, most from seeds I kept from last years plants. Other efforts at for seed growing haven't gone very well but I have identified a couple errors. Wish me luck!
I'm wishing you luck and all the others who have found my book useful.

Carolyn
Old February 9, 2016   #479
lbp
Tomatovillian™

I've just requested this book from our library! Looking forward to reading it after these great reviews!
lbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #480
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Ibp, Try Craig's book! To me, it's THE encyclopedia of tomatoes and the only one you'll need!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote