Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 31, 2015   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic end-game and watering

My garlic is mulched heavily and not set up with water. I've only watered once during a long windy sunny dry spell this spring. Plant out was November or maybe late October.

My question is should I get some extra water on the garlic late in the season to help it plump up? Does extra water have the same result on garlic as it does tomatoes - bland flavor.

Also - When I worked my tomato beds I fed the garlic fox farms tomato fert and also chikity doo doo. Any benefit to late season feeding? any recommendations? I plant to Harvest early/mid july

Any thoughts appreciated

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Garlic needs 1" of water per week throughout the season. It needs a consistent supply of water but like everything else not too much water.
When working your garlic beds for fall planting, add your organic granular fertilizers then. You fertilize in the fall for spring growth.
Our local organic garlic guru/farmer in our area recommends additional fertilizing in the spring no later than early to mid-May. He uses fish hydrolysate and kelp.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Yes, regular watering throughout the growing season is needed. When to cut back is just before harvesting, which around here is typically by early to mid July. Aside from enriching the beds with compost in the fall, the farmer I bought my initial seed stock from recommended one feeding with 10-10-10 fertilizer in the spring and that's it, so that's what I do.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote