Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old December 13, 2007   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Show us your garlic plants

How is everyone's garlic doing, and what varieties are you growing? I planted mine on 10/31, and as of today (12/13) about 90% of it has leafed out. The remaining 10% is all visible above the mulch, just hasn't leafed out yet. What I'm growing:

Creoles - Ajo Rojo, Burgundy, Creole Red, Cuban Purple, Labera Purple, Pescadero Red, Spanish Benitee

Asiatic/Turban - Asian Tempest, Korean Red, Red Janice, Wonha

Artichoke - Inchelium Red, Italian Purple, Simoneti

Marbled Purple Stripe - Metechi

That's around 140 plants. I started to plant two beds, but decided that was a bit excessive. Plus, that would be one less bed I'd have available in the spring for tomatoes. I did make a detailed map, in case something happens to the plant markers separating each variety.

Click for Larger Size
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I will take a pic today. I should (see record keeping thread) of made a map as the DAG Gum Armadillos keep digging it up looking for grubs!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2007   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I never got around to planting any this year but I did get some last year and they were pretty good. (still have some)

I did leave some in the ground but none have come up yet I think the rain may have rotted the cloves.

Suze
You must have gotten the selection from the garlic guy here in Texas from the selection I see.
Those are all varieties that are supposed to do well here in the south.

Rena,
You have armadillos?
I’m glad to see that the armadillos I sent you are doing well; I gave UPS instructions to just let them out at your door step upon delivery.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2007   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I have no pictures. Unless you want to see mud covered with mulch.
I planted a total of about 100 cloves of the following varieties plus some shallots just before we had 6 days of solid rain.

I saw a couple of small sprouts before the ground froze. Now the ground has thawed. Tomorrow it’s predicted to be freezing again. So, will I have garlic next year? Only God knows and He ain’t talking.

Purple Glazer
Shatili
Russian Giant
Khabaro
Purple Glazer
Siberian
Music
German Porcelain
Elephant
Old December 14, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Oh he!! I forgot to plant garlic! But my green garlic patches should be doing ok.
Old December 14, 2007   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Question for the more moderate (not hot zone) growers. Does your garlic even sprout in the fall/winter, or does it wait until spring? Mine does.

Just curious.
Old December 14, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
I will take a pic today. I should (see record keeping thread) of made a map as the DAG Gum Armadillos keep digging it up looking for grubs!
Mark Korney told me he lays down CRW as both a planting guide and also for protection from digging animals. Maybe that might help you in the future?
Old December 14, 2007   #8
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my garlic is under a foot or 2 of the white mulch already. mine never sprouts until the following spring. it gets cold early here. i have music, chesnok red, carpathian, siberian, persian star, georgian crystal, asian tempest, rosso di sulmona, viola francese, bianco di piacentina, lemon, kettle river giant, superior northern, nootka rose and martins heirloom. about 300 cloves planted. 3 long rows, each variety separated by 2 catawissa onion bulblets, and written down in a note book whats planted where. my soft necks took a beating last spring when we had 16 inches of snow in mid april. inchelium red, and idaho silver were wiped out, lorz italian was reduced to 3 small bulbs. a couple other varieties took a beating too. a few cloves didn't divide to for bulbs. they just formed really big rounds. i planted most of those to see what size bulbs i would get. we had a very dry summer. that may have affected bulb size and growth. i mulched with straw this year, and plan to add more straw next spring for weed control, and moisture retention.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2007   #9
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I normally get about 6 – 8 inches of growth when I plant in late October here in Zone 6a.
Old December 15, 2007   #10
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

The small patch I planted on 10/3 grew to about 6"-8". In the larger patch planted 10/16, about 70% broke ground, those grew to about 1"-3".

I dug up one that had not broken through the ground, it had a nice sprout and about 1 1/2" root growth.

Everything is going to be covered with that white mulch, that Keith referred, tonight .

Earl, being that you're in southern Ohio, you could probably still get some in the ground.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2007   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Where do you all buy your garlic from?

I meant to plant garlic this fall and forgot and then forgot again. I might still try to get some in.

Both here in the St. Louis area and in southwestern Michigan the garlic would sprout in the fall--in Michigan just a couple of inches and here several inches worth.

Armadillos have made their appearance around here, too. We saw one crossing the road earlier this year. They are still not very common.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2007   #12
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Quick pic as it started to rain... Edited to Add Ruth I got mine from SSE-order early!

Old December 16, 2007   #13
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Rena, you've got some nice eating to look forward to!

What are the leafy plants behind/to the left of the garlic? Looks like a brassica of some sort.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2007   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They look like mustard greens to me.8)
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2007   #15
Rena
Tomatovillian™

In the one bed to the left is Bsprouts and to the right is Collards mixed with some Cauliflower. I have never had luck with Cauliflower but there appears to be some heads in there