Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 24, 2013   #1
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Default Bands At The Farmer's Market?

The band at my farmer's market today was so obnoxiously loud that it was impossible for vendors and customers to talk with each other. The band would not turn down the music when asked. It was so outrageous that I sacrificed a week's pay and left the market early.

So how about it? Do you think that bands should be invited to play at farmer's markets? Does your farmer's market invite musicians to play at the market? How often does the band interfere with your ability to sell or buy vegetables? This has happened before, and I'm sure that it will happen again. Any suggestions about how to deal with bands that lack manners and common sense? What's the best way to deal with it when market managers won't tell the band to tone it down?

Last edited by joseph; August 24, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's not supposed to be a concert. It's a farmer's market! We have a truck at ours that sometimes plays music but it's not so loud as to interfere with anyone's conversation.
Old August 24, 2013   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

one of my markets has music every week but they are careful to keep it low key- generally it is bluegrass or something similar and unamplified. i can't imagine them allowing a full band.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #4
Stowaway
Tomatovillian™

If it was a situation where "turning it down" was really an option, then something was going wrong. I lived two blocks from a thriving urban farmer's market in Philadelphia, and I live four blocks from a pretty great one now. Both of them had/have live music, which I'm sure I never really enjoyed, but it rarely got obnoxious. If they're plugging in an amplifier, that's when they're crossing a line. Music at a farmer's market should at least be acoustic.

Actually, by the time I left Philadelphia the Clark Park Farmer's Market on Saturdays was almost more of a street fair. There would be Amish and Mennonites from two counties over, and kids from after-school urban gardening programs, which was great, but increasingly there were also jugglers, people giving massages, and food trucks owned by people who were regulars on the Food Network. I hated it. The Thursday market was just farmers and customers, and while it had fewer customers, it had better farmers.
Stowaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #5
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
The band at my farmer's market today was so obnoxiously loud that it was impossible for vendors and customers to talk with each other. The band would not turn down the music when asked. It was so outrageous that I sacrificed a week's pay and left the market early.

So how about it? Do you think that bands should be invited to play at farmer's markets? Does your farmer's market invite musicians to play at the market? How often does the band interfere with your ability to sell or buy vegetables? This has happened before, and I'm sure that it will happen again. Any suggestions about how to deal with bands that lack manners and common sense? What's the best way to deal with it when market managers won't tell the band to tone it down?
One I go to has a guy playing a guitar, which isn't horrible but I could still do without it. The managers think its cool so ok.

If I were you and it was that bad I would get the other sellers together and go to the managers that take your pick, us, or the band.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
One I go to has a guy playing a guitar, which isn't horrible but I could still do without it. The managers think its cool so ok.

If I were you and it was that bad I would get the other sellers together and go to the managers that take your pick, us, or the band.
You can try that but I'd be prepared for the manager to pick the band. I'd also would be prepared for the other vendors to leave you out there all by yourself if the manager chooses the band.

Before I'd draw a line in the sand like that I'd try to determine why they had the band there in the first place. Are they trying to attract a different crowd, is it someones cousin that needed a gig, or is the manager just clueless.

Focus on the problem, which is that you customers can't communicate with you when the band is playing. Make it about the customers not yourself. See if you individually and as a group can propose alternate solutions that don't involve you or the band going. Maybe the band can be moved, or turned around. If you can get them shoved to the fringe of the market they may leave of their own accord. Maybe another musical performer can be proposed.

Get customers to complain. There is a lot less that a manager can do to a customer than a vendor.

If there are other markets in the area maybe it is time to go there.

Last edited by Doug9345; August 27, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #7
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Yeah but Doug, kinda hard to have a farmers market without sellers as well. If it is a solid, viable market, those that make up 80% of the business are regular, repeat customers. Those folks aren't buying veggies from the band, and we as sellers pay to be there. So in fact aren't we customers of the market manager?
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oyvey, Joseph. I cannot begin to fathom why anyone would do this, but I agree...keep it about the customers or if/when the customer remark about it quietly guide them to the market manager to voice their opinion on the quality/quantity/volume of the performers art.
Old August 26, 2013   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There is typically a culture clash at any given farmer's market. I call it the scruffy hippies versus the crusty old farmers. I don't mean that as derogatory or offensive to anyone; my friends are on one side and my family is on the other. I have been watching the battle wage on since I was a little kid. The clash was so great in my town that one side keeps breaking off and starting their own market to compete.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
There is typically a culture clash at any given farmer's market. I call it the scruffy hippies versus the crusty old farmers.
And what about the old scruffy crusty hippie farmers?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #11
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
And what about the old scruffy crusty hippie farmers?
We have one of those at our market, complete with a flower tucked behind the ear. It's my favorite place to buy vegetables that are not currently available from my fields.
Old August 27, 2013   #12
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Ours has one on "special" days that end up being about 4 times a year. One of them was loud one day and the manager of the market told them to turn it down. They wouldn't. So they were asked to pack up and leave and they did. I love our little F.M. because they have their priorities in order and if anything is going against that, they act quickly to remedy the situation.

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #13
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Wink

Joseph, you should have popped a tape in your eight track player and drowned them out
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Send them some tomatoes with a note asking them to turn it down. If that doesn't work send them some by airmail!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #15
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I politely asked the band to turn it down. I asked every member of the market staff to ask the band to turn it down. I heckled the band for playing too loud. After it was obvious that nothing would change I removed myself from the market.

I had a cluster headache when I left the market that stayed for 3 days on the side of my head that was facing the band. Today is the first day I've felt well enough to work, so I cleaned out the truck and dumped the unsold produce in the compost pile.

My little battery powered boom box would not have been heard among that much commotion. I've been to disco dance clubs where the music was quieter than what was being played at the farmer's market!!! And the band was only 20 feet away from my table.

I regret donating a watermelon to the band. Next time I'll remember airmail!!!