Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 27, 2022   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default So, I don't know what to leave out this year.?.

I just have a small backyard these last couple years,and plant in raised beds. Last years harvest was astounding to be honest. I had to trim back some of the tomatoes because they got so big they were blocking out the sun < wink wink>. I'm in So Oregon. Hot and dry in the summer with a heavy dose of smoke due to the annual forest fires.

I planted last year:

Crnkovic Yugoslavian ( a mainstay and huge producer for me here)

Wes (another mainstay and great flavor and production)

Amana Orange. I started growing Amana after the daughter gave me seeds. The resultant taste of this one was off the charts. I don't remember everything about it except that it had a sprightly citrus flavor that was just wonderful. Much like Malachite Box was for us. I didn't save seed and when I bought seed the fruit was different. They yielded great and flavor was very good,but it wasn't the same tomato we grew from daughters seed. I secured more seed from her but they are quite old she told me.

Aunt Ginny's Purple (never grown this one)

Aunt Rubys German Green crop failed won't plant this year.

Akers West Virginia

JD's Special Tex The Akers and JD's got mixed up. The grandkids were over and gathered up all the plant labels. ha ha.

Anyway,I made the mistake of reading the forum posts and now am wondering if I need to add Taiga and Bulgarian Triumph ( I already have seed for Bulgarian),but I do really like my heart tomatoes..and the Taiga is a visually striking tomato,although that shouldn't be a qualifier...still..

Also thinking about Azoychka as I still have seed for this one and lost the only plant of it that I planted last year.

So,I could use some advice as to which to drop. I don't know where else to plant more tomatoes. Last year I must have given 50lbs away. I don't mind doing it,but I noticed the neighbors would close their blinds and act like they weren't home when they saw me coming up their sidewalk.

Trop.
Old January 27, 2022   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I would suggest throwing out all of your other tomatoes and growing as many Taiga plants as possible.
Old January 27, 2022   #3
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I would suggest throwing out all of your other tomatoes and growing as many Taiga plants as possible.

Okie dokie. (Trop isn't sure he want's to drop ALL his faves,but I might eliminate a couple if Taiga is as good as many say)..lol

I do appreciate that tho Fred. Taiga really caught my eye for sure. Maybe I could grow several.and then add ??? just for some variety maybe?

You know,I came back to edit my post and ask if I should also add Monomakh's Hat.It's just like I thought it would be...I'm going backwards here. Ha ha ha.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; January 28, 2022 at 01:46 AM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2022   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

what about the front yard?

keith
Old January 27, 2022   #5
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

If you get a lot of rain I would be cautious with Azoychka. I grew it last year & it was really early & set loads of fairly good tasting fruit. However, it started splitting like crazy & I had to throw away more than I picked. Eventually, all were splitting so I pulled it. (& I grow in raised beds that drain very fast.)
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2022   #6
AhSum89
Tomatovillian™

Taiga for sure. Had a few extra seedlings I threw in smaller 16" cedar planters that grew to abt 6.5'+. If there's one that Id drop, It would probably be the Green. Never had much luck with most GWR here in BC, Can.
AhSum89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022   #7
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
what about the front yard?

I thought about that actually. Ha ha ha.

keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSum89 View Post
Taiga for sure. Had a few extra seedlings I threw in smaller 16" cedar planters that grew to abt 6.5'+. If there's one that Id drop, It would probably be the Green. Never had much luck with most GWR here in BC, Can.

Yeah. I had pretty much decided not to include GWR. The one I planted never really took off anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapinz8: This area of the state has a drier climate,whereas the northern part of the state normally gets the larger share of precipitation. It's also greener and in my opinion is a nicer area in which to reside. I had about decided to drop the Azoychka this year based on it's lackluster performance last year.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; January 28, 2022 at 01:58 AM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2022   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello From Farmer Joyce Beggs

I would add Cindy's West Virginia Heirloom Tomatoes and Native American Winter Vegetable to display our your kitchen and eat happily all next winter, during these lock downtimes.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

In my location, I never know what the harvest will bring. Some years it will be 25+ pounds a plant, very poor years about 5. I never underplant, by expecting a huge harvest every year.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello From Farmer Joyce Beggs

I would add Cindy's West Virginia Heirloom Tomatoes and Native American Winter Squash Vegetables to display in your kitchen and eat happily all next winter, during these lock downtimes Covid Times.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote