Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old May 10, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Wasabi

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VTBAH 10 May 2013 Wasabi
The one Wasabi plant rhizome survived the Winter (Zone 5). Slugs and possibly flea beetle attacked the plant last Summer. This year I applied slug bait to the area, and sprayed with a Neem soap mixture. Experimentation so don’t quite know what I am doing as far as harvest is concerned, which hasn’t been done yet. The area will be enlarged to enable four plants to be growing simultaneously.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KBOLP 20 March 2012 Planting Wasabi Outdoors
An area of 12 square feet was prepared for Wasabi. The bed was dug about as foot deep and sand added and mixed with soil. The area is well drained and relatively damp, and is in partial shade.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #2
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Durgan I'm interested in your Wasabi project. Where did you obtain the rhizome?
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masbustelo View Post
Durgan I'm interested in your Wasabi project. Where did you obtain the rhizome?
I was talking about Wasabi on some forum. One day I received a rhizomke in the mail. I wasn't too sure what it was, but I didn't call 911. No return address or any note. Eventually I found it came from a lady in the Vancouver area. I started it growing in a gallon pot.

Found this on the internet.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/Wasabi_4_Inch_Pot.html
Old May 13, 2013   #4
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Your post made me really interested in growing wasabi. What's the general spacing requirements?
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
Your post made me really interested in growing wasabi. What's the general spacing requirements?
I would suggest about 8 inch spacing. But the literature and internet info is rather sparse. I only know one other person growing Wasabi and his sure hasn't spread much in the two years I have been aware of his Wasabi patch. This season I will try and get some seeds, since my one plant has flowered, and I will experiment.
Old May 13, 2013   #6
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I just bought seeds online. Going to experiment with SWC, B.A Kratly method, pot, and ground.

I don't even eat wasabi, I just like growing tough plants.

Not that much information on soil mixtures online. Any ideas on a good soil mix? The site where i bought it from says germination can take 200 days.

Bought the seeds here if anyone interested. Apparently this month is the seeding month. They also have the plant intself, not in stock.

https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=1662

Last edited by tqn626; May 13, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 15, 2013   #7
Baja_Traveler
Tomatovillian™

I have an ideal location for Wasabi in my back yard in the flowing river to my koi pond - the watercress went crazy there, so much so that I had to erradicate it because it took over everything. But I think I'm pretty sure those of us in Southern California get too warm regardless, so wasabi will not grow. Guess I'll have to spend the 8 bucks for seeds and find out in several years...

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #8
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Got my seeds today, it says it germinates in February to March. I'm going to try to force germinate it.
Old May 24, 2013   #9
Jnak808
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious to see how things go here. The other year I bought wasabi seeds from Horizon. Gave some to a farmer friend and we both weren't able to sprout the seeds. To give the benefit of doubt to horizon there was a mesh cloth with the seeds that I believe had moisture. I waited about 2-3 weeks before I planted and was unsuccessful.

I also belong to a aquaponics forum where we had discussion on wasabi and people were able to buy the rhizome and try planting that. Some had some success in the beginning where leaves would appear but eventually the plant would die. These were all people living in Hawaii so we knew the risk that the weather was probably too hot to grow them. Thou I still hear rumor that there are people who succeeded. Probably living in the mountains.

I saw a show once where people in japan where growing some wasabi in a stream. If I remember right they placed the root in the stream and held it down by placing a rock on top of it. Don't remember if it was sunny or shaded.

Anyway good luck. If the Southern Cal folks have success I may try it again.
Jnak808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #10
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I did two experiments. I did the paper towel method of germination. One in my room and one in my fridge in the vegetable crisper. The seeds in my crispy started to germinate and the roots are coming out. So it took 3 weeks for thisto happen.