Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old January 12, 2014   #1
Heirloom gard
Tomatovillian™

Default Where should I start herbs

I have basil, theme, dill, and two places to sow seeds, an unheated greenhouse or in my room which gets rather warm. Which do you think I should use?
Heirloom gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

It depends on the temperatures in the unheated greenhouse. Most herbs like warmer temperatures. My thyme, sage, parsley and rosemary live through the winter, but I started them in a warm house under lights. Others, especially basil, will not live in cooler temperatures. Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Last year I started around ten different herbs for a 4-H project my wife and I gave to some local kids. Minnesota weather and ours here in Nebraska are similar. We bought herbs seeds in seed packets from a seeds vendor who specializes in herb and flower seeds. The packets indicated which needed to be started indoors and which were to be direct seeded.

I started the early ones at the same time as tomatoes and peppers indoors in controlled temperatures with a light system that allowed for 16 hours of light and 8 hours dark. I transplanted just like tomatoes, after true leaves appeared. With about 4 weeks to go before planting outside they were transferred to a greenhouse operated by a local garden club that had ventilation and heat if necessary.

If you only have the two choices and do not have a light system, my choice would be to start indoors with the heat.
Old January 12, 2014   #4
Heirloom gard
Tomatovillian™

i have a grow light and i plan on getting more when i can.
Heirloom gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

If you say grow lights and they are the expensive specialty lights, save your money and get less expensive florescent bulbs and a shop light. I use a hot white and a cool white bulb in the two bulb set up.
Old February 25, 2014   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have always started my herb seeds in my unheated greenhouse about the same time I start pepper and tomato seeds in the same greenhouse.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote