Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 21, 2017   #1
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Default Peppercorns?

Anyone here grow peppercorns?
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Piper Nigrum is the name.I tried numerous times,soaking freezing scarifying(sanding).For me nothing,bought a live plant,produces now like crazy,vines everywhere.green pods we put in salads,they dry in different colors.Great conversation plant.Will live indoors up to a certain point.
Old February 22, 2017   #3
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, how long does it take for the plant to flower, and how big does the plant have to be at that stage?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The plant I got took two years to produce a long blackberryish appendage.After staring at it swelling up one morning they all opened up and looked like cherry tomato clusters.These were green,bout size of small pea.Green before pulling great surprise in a salad.Dry them out in the color you pick them will usually cure that color.Fresh black cured pepper ground is really fragrant,eye tearing at times and do not get stuck in choppers.Plant roots easy,clones easier,travels on ground,nodule beards will root in ground.And the vine will crawl up a painted wall,beards will adhere to paint.Of the first plant we have twenty or thirty plants.various stages to give as presents.No flowers,but some real large veined shiny pretty leaves.Neighbor(Vietnamese man )bet me that it was a Betal Nut tree,hundred bucks later showed him The Betal Nut I have.They are almost identical in leaf appearance .Vines are grown in 30 40 foot telephone looking contraptions,almost like hops.Impressive large plantations pepper ,coffee are a big commoditys grown buy the ton.Almost every home in American has a pepper shaker,as does every restaurant.For your climate a substitute sunlight photo period device would be need to compensate for your winter.If you trimmed and try to overwinter,I am almost sure you would be staring at the new leaves forever.

Last edited by kurt; February 22, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #5
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

How many bucks did you win? I certainly don't want to be staring at green leaves forever! Thanks for the very detailed discription now I know something about the pepper plant. I was hoping it be a small tree, it turns out to be a vine. It does to sound like a suitable choice for the green house either, too aggressive .
I think I saw green clusters of them selling in a Indian store, but I had no idea they were the real peppercorns. I will look for a cluster and try to sprout some seeds, which will have no chance of producing their own offsprings, but just for fun for me to try, see what the plants look like.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That is cool. If a ever see a plant I'm going to buy one
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2017   #7
LDiane

I saw some Italian pepper seeds for sale. Franchi seeds has a couple of different lines besides their usual flowers and vegetables. Their Gold Line has a further subdivision into "Le Bizzarre", and one of these is Pepe Nero. They also had coffee seeds. I didn't buy either - figured they would both require a lot more heat than our seaside enjoys.