Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 3, 2010   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Dill

I've had really bad luck with dill the last few years. I transplant into the garden as soon as last frost date yet it rarely gets more than a foot tall before it starts going to seed. Maybe the heat is too much for it down here in LA. Maybe I need to try planting it in the fall. One year I had dill grow to nearly 5 feet and very lush but have not been able to get a repeat of that performance since and for the life of me I can't remember doing anything different. If anyone has any good advice on growing dill, it would be appreciated.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #2
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

you have to plant dill?

It is a weed in my garden that I dont pull in whatever area I want it in that year.

And it gets huge unless I allow them to be too close together.

I have never had to start plants inside. If I were you I would give it an area and simply let some of it go to seed.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Dill is tricky with all our hot weather. I grow mine as a cool weather crop in the spring and fall, but sometimes a late or early frost can knock it out. I usually put a couple in pots so I can get it outside earlier, but bring it in under cover if we have a cold snap.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Heat knocks it out in Texas every year as well. I have found that it lasts longer and is happier if I plant it in a morning sun, shade the rest of the day spot. It usually makes it till late June or so, then those green caterpillers come along that turn into some kind of butterfly either painted lady or black swallowtail and at that point, I let them enjoy because the heat would take it out in the couple of weeks anyway.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #5
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Direct seed them early in spring, and maybe sow successively for a month or so...I don't think there's much you can do once it gets really hot, though. I agree Darwinslair, just give it it's own spot and let it self-seed-it will come up at the best time.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
I agree Darwinslair, just give it it's own spot and let it self-seed-it will come up at the best time.

That's what basil does for me, dill is more finicky in these parts. Basil, now, basil darn near takes over the place. I have to take a weed eater to it about August or it will smother some of the peppers.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

In my garden, Fernleaf dill has been the most bolt-resistant-it was bred for producing leaves rather than seed. My summers aren't as hot as yours though.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #8
GrannyG
Tomatovillian™

I just broadcast the seeds for dill and they do well. I was lucky enough to find some wonderful, old, old dill stock. It had grown on a farm for years. Sadly, the younger ones told me they hated it, were plowing it all under, and killing it out. I picked a pillowcase full of seed. I have used it for a couple years now, especially love Dilly Bread. The stalks were so thick, and the seed heads were really full, a wonderful patch, sadly, the young ones did not see it that way. It had been grown for many years there.
GrannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #9
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

That's a great save, GrannyG! At least you know those old standards do well in your area. Maybe you could post that dilly bread recipe!
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #10
GrannyG
Tomatovillian™

I posted it alread...LOL...think in the bread recipes.
GrannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #11
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I still have plenty of my dill...similar to GrannyG's, if anyone wants it...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #12
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Mine is out with all the other rampant re-seeders and it does fine. Basil and Cilantro are a turbo-driven moving carpet of green that will try to smother everything...I threatened it with round-up last year! (not really...) These "hoodlums" along with Tomatillos get there own segregated spot. My dill gets really huge here but I don't have the heat probably...
Old February 5, 2010   #13
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

mjc
I would love to get some of your dill seed. As I read Granny's post I was remembering the dill we grew years ago and wishing I had been smart enough to save seed back then. The dill seed I bought last year didn't grow off like it should have. I had planned to make dill pickles, the plants were so small in comparison to what i grew in the past I didn't have enough for what I wanted to can.
Let me now if you need SASE, PM if offer is still good.

thanks,
Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Heat knocks it out in Texas every year as well. I have found that it lasts longer and is happier if I plant it in a morning sun, shade the rest of the day spot. It usually makes it till late June or so, then those green caterpillers come along that turn into some kind of butterfly either painted lady or black swallowtail and at that point, I let them enjoy because the heat would take it out in the couple of weeks anyway.
I'll try this solution and see if it works for me. I have a spot at the bottom of the garden that gets morning sun then shade the rest of the day and it is a lousy spot for tomatoes but has been good for spring cabbage.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems from everything I've read that high temps are the problem. I will also try growing it as a fall crop and see if the results are better.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #15
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

Soil germinating temp is ~75F--start as early as you can afford to keep your green house about 75F--plant out when you are reasonably sure that your last frost has occurred--plant it out in that morning sun area of your garden and remember even small Dill, if you don't want the seeds, is as flavorful as large Dill. But I know you are usually after world record shattering size---LOL
I think you can give that idea up in S. 'Bama.
I'll try it up here in zone 7 and let you know the results--that is if I can ever get into my soggy garden.
VORTREKER is offline   Reply With Quote