Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old February 13, 2010   #16
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

After looking at my old notes you can start it at about 60F starting it even earlier.
Planting a fernleaf type will give you another 1-2 weeks
Plant in a tall peat pot so it will allow for the tap root and you can plant the whole thing without disturbing the roots
VORTREKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010   #17
Katmary
Tomatovillian™

I agree about Dill be sensitive to hot heat and bolts easily, but it IS good at coming back! My biggest struggle is aphids LOVE it, to the point that I can't keep them off even spraying them off three times a day. I DID get the shorter kind and grew it in a pot on the deck and it was a bit easier than out in the dirt, plus I could get to it each day to squish the aphids up. If it keeps bolting and it's the leaves you want, let them bolt and go to seed, they'll grow back when the weather's better for them! I get my best in early Fall on since in Spring (I'm by a greenbelt and if I don't kill the weeds going up a hill to my house prior to planting, they'll go straight to my plants!) since there's less to fight.

Chamomile. Dill, and Stevia (add Lemon balm and mint in there too!) are the WORST at keeping aphids away from for long! The first three are like catnip to a cat, it's crazy! And with mints, supposedly the strong smell keeps bugs away?? Not that I've noticed, sheesh!
Katmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #18
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Been having quite a bit of trouble growing it here in my country. Tropical heat isn't something it likes. Trying to grow one out indoors but I don't think it'll help much.

It pretty much gets toasted under the hot sun. And I absolutely love dill pickles. I need dill and I can't get dill here if at all. =(

anyone got tips in growing these things out in my climate? thanks
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #19
mjc
Tomatovillian™

You have a pretty much year round growing season...so grow it in the coolest, wettest part of the year.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2010   #20
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

i see. thanks. finally found some live dill plants at a local garden center. thanks for the tip.
Old August 23, 2010   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Grasshoppers love dill.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #22
salix
Tomatovillian™

Have no trouble growing dill, but as Katmary says the aphids LOVE it. Spent an hour rinsing and salt water soaking the bug(ger)s from a bundle intended for pickles. We garden organically, is there anything other than blasting water from the hose and Safer's soap that is useful?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010   #23
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I have been using ashes from either the fireplace, or BBQ. I dust the aphids with the ash, then come back in a couple of hours and hose off all of the dead aphids. Sometimes, I have to repeat treat in a day or two. I have had near 100% success with that simple, organic method. The ash might slightly raise pH, but is helpful to the soil. Left untreated, aphids will demolish all new growth!
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010   #24
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

The dill i was forced to buy is thrving so far. Lol. Cant seem to start them right so i'll be good with these. My fennel is growing ever so slowly though.
Old September 12, 2010   #25
salix
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, RinTinTin - will try that next year for sure.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2010   #26
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

clean, simple, and organic. Since you live in B.C., you probably have a fireplace...if not, I'm sorry to say, but you will HAVE to BBQ more often next year...ooh, the sacrifices we have to make for our plants! lol
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #27
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Have no trouble growing dill, but as Katmary says the aphids LOVE it. Spent an hour rinsing and salt water soaking the bug(ger)s from a bundle intended for pickles. We garden organically, is there anything other than blasting water from the hose and Safer's soap that is useful?
I recently learned that soft bodied insects like aphids can be organically controlled with diatomaceous earth. DE is the fossilized skeletons of algae. When the plants are dusted with DE, insects come in contact and are dehydrated and die. That is the theory. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm currently looking for DE. So far the only place I can find it is aquarium shops. It is used as a filtering medium. I usually don't buy stuff online unless I can't find it locally.
Old June 17, 2013   #28
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Is there a name for the dill that thrives in TX? I've had two failures in a row with dill, they germinated well and grew but the heat nuked them to oblivion, even in the shade!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #29
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

If you find it, let me know! I grow it annually, usually putting it out in March, then again in May. I put it in a spot that gets only morning sun. It would be spent already but for the rain the last few days and the accompanying overcast. It doesn't appear to like our heat, but, that is strange considering it grows literally as a weed all over California, where it can be quite hot.

DM
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #30
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabelle View Post
I recently learned that soft bodied insects like aphids can be organically controlled with diatomaceous earth. DE is the fossilized skeletons of algae. When the plants are dusted with DE, insects come in contact and are dehydrated and die. That is the theory. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm currently looking for DE. So far the only place I can find it is aquarium shops. It is used as a filtering medium. I usually don't buy stuff online unless I can't find it locally.

Do not use the (swimming pool) filter version of DE for lots of reasons, mostly it can be hazardous to you when applying it. You can find DE at garden and feed stores with feed stores likely being the cheaper of the two.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote