Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old August 16, 2013   #16
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I do the ice cube thing for pepper puree too.

Nolabelle, please tell us about pepper puree.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #17
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I do the ice cube thing for pepper puree too.

Nolabelle, please tell us about pepper puree.
Hi Scott,

I think I posted this in the "Carmen" thread somewhere. It's very easy, but you'll need a food mill unless you don't mind pepper skins.

I've begun doing this to preserve cayenne peppers because there are so many of them. Also because the pepper skins were slightly tough and unpalatable when used in cooking.

Cook the peppers in minimal liquid until tender.
Chop in a food processor
Run through a food mill using the medium or course blade.

You end up with a puree sans the seeds and skins. I freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags. Easy to pop into soups, stews and gravies. I've begun using it as a marinade for meats too. (Someone here gave me that idea. Thank you very much!)

A decent food mill will run approximately $30. This is the one I recently bought.
http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Sta.../dp/B0000DZDFN
Old August 17, 2013   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Lazy Man's Dried Basil

Here's what I do most years.

Forget all about the Basil plants. There's a frost. Notice that the Basil has gone brown and it's too late to harvest and hang it up to dry. Leave it alone until the leaves have gone crunchy. Get a large bowl and pull leaves off the plant and into the bowl. Crumble them up and put into containers. Use the dried Basil for sprinkling over soups and stews. Easy peasy!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #19
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I do the pureed basil and oil thing, too. But after spreading it out in a metal pan, I score it with a pizza cutter before putting it into the freezer. After it's frozen, I go over the score lines again so that I end up with small squares. Those go into a plastic container with wax paper in between the layers.

It hardly takes up any space and is super easy to take out as many squares as you need.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #20
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Here's what I do most years.

Forget all about the Basil plants. There's a frost. Notice that the Basil has gone brown and it's too late to harvest and hang it up to dry. Leave it alone until the leaves have gone crunchy. Get a large bowl and pull leaves off the plant and into the bowl. Crumble them up and put into containers. Use the dried Basil for sprinkling over soups and stews. Easy peasy!
This sounds like something I could do.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #21
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabelle View Post
Hi Scott,

I think I posted this in the "Carmen" thread somewhere. It's very easy, but you'll need a food mill unless you don't mind pepper skins.

I've begun doing this to preserve cayenne peppers because there are so many of them. Also because the pepper skins were slightly tough and unpalatable when used in cooking.

Cook the peppers in minimal liquid until tender.
Chop in a food processor
Run through a food mill using the medium or course blade.

You end up with a puree sans the seeds and skins. I freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags. Easy to pop into soups, stews and gravies. I've begun using it as a marinade for meats too. (Someone here gave me that idea. Thank you very much!)

A decent food mill will run approximately $30. This is the one I recently bought.
http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Sta.../dp/B0000DZDFN
Very cool idea. Thanks. I wonder what Yellow Scorpion paste would taste like?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #22
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

i love dried basil. not the tasteless stuff you buy in the bottle. i just cut and dry the whole plant inside when it starts turning brown but still has beautifull green leaves. dont even bother crumbling it before i put it in jars. it may be a mental thing but i think it taste better grabbing a few leaves and crumbling them when i need them in january
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #23
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Can Basil be caned? Or does that not work for basil? Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #24
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the awesome pesto recipe, and the rest of the great tips here! What I do is chop basil or other herbs, mix with olive oil and freeze in ziplock baggies shaping it flat and thin squeezing out all air maybe .25" or thinner that is approx. half a cm. I can break off a piece when I need it without any difficulties. No oxidation and maximum flavor. Easy peasy! I freeze butternut squash pure and anything similar the same way without the oil, after roasting or steaming it. Just break off a chunk I need and throw back the rest. Love the pepper idea!