Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old March 18, 2014   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default chia seeds

Has anyone grown chia seeds? I eat a lot of them, and I was wondering how much garden space to devote to them to get a decent amount -- or will the birds and insects consume my harvest?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2014   #2
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Has anyone grown chia seeds? I eat a lot of them, and I was wondering how much garden space to devote to them to get a decent amount -- or will the birds and insects consume my harvest?
There are several species of Chia, and several more plants that are called Chia. Some of these plants are grown as ornamentals and some unscrupulous and/or ignorant sellers of seed will offer these online as if they are the species you buy as food. I believe the latter is native to Sonora MX. Growing grains for consumption takes a lot of space. If you have it then I wish you lots of success!
Old March 18, 2014   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't going to buy seed. I was planning to plant a few of the ones I eat and see what happens. I assume this is Salvia hispanica (which is the same sp. used in chia pets, iirc).

I'd love to grow the native chia as an ornamental (and for pollinators), but the seed is harder to come by.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
I wasn't going to buy seed. I was planning to plant a few of the ones I eat and see what happens. I assume this is Salvia hispanica (which is the same sp. used in chia pets, iirc).
As a former seller of herb plants, I can tell you there is Salvia hispanica vs. what is sold as Salvia hispanica.

Quote:
I'd love to grow the native chia as an ornamental (and for pollinators), but the seed is harder to come by.
Check with Pearsons Gardens in Vista CA to see if they'll be growing any Chias this year.
Old March 19, 2014   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I too eat the chia seeds.

Several years ago, as part of an experiment with "sprouts " and "micro greens", I did use some of the chia seeds in a flat of sprouts. They did sprout just fine. But since I'm in Wisconsin, I had no intent of trying to grow them to seed.

At the time I had looked up info on growing them and the best I could find was that 1 of the Universities was trying to find a species that would grow further north. The best they could do was Ky/Tenn and that was iffy. It was a daylight issue more than a length of season issue. Chia only heads under certain daylight conditions. Like long day vs short day onions.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote