Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old May 13, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Greek Columnar Basil

A beautiful plant, produces dense columns of green spear-shaped leaves about 1-inch in length. It is mostly perennial in USDA zone 10 and above. The plant is originally from Kenya but has been in Greece since Alexandria times -- so I guess that's close enough. Italian Basil by the way is thought to have originated on Reunion Island, which I believe leaves "African Blue Basil" and "Thai Basil" as the only true-named basils with respect to origin.

The taste of Greek Basil is slightly stronger than sweet Italian and it also has a slight taste of black pepper. It's nowhere near the intensity of African Blue. In my opinion its great right off the plant or pretty much with anything.

So with the wind storms we've been having lately, I found a broken column of basil on my shrub with easily a cup worth of leaves. No worries, there's plenty more on the shrub and I started thinking about pesto and pasta. Going into the kitchen I remember there's a bag of authentic chinese dumplings from Ranch 99 Market thawing in the refrigerator. Ah ha! Those two ingredients in the double-broiler on the stove for about 9 minutes made for an amazing meal!
Old May 14, 2014   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

My husband bought me several basils for mothers day. Spicy globe, 2 sweet basil and another one I can not remember the name of right now it is a very dark color will have to look tomorrow. really looking forward to trying all these different ones! I did get a Greek oregano!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I love the plant got one years ago.The only way to keep the stock going is to buy again and or cuttings/propagation.If yours ever seeds I will drive there and trade you for some.I have yet to seed any!http://www.tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=1670700

Last edited by kurt; May 14, 2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: additional info
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I love the plant got one years ago.The only way to keep the stock going is to buy again and or cuttings/propagation.If yours ever seeds I will drive there and trade you for some.I have yet to seed any!http://www.tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=1670700
I bought mine here a few years ago: Pearson's Gardens - Greek Columnar Basil
Old May 14, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I need to get my paws on some of this stuff... I guess Ebay is the way to go.
Kurt, I think I saw some seeds on there as well.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I tried one but it didn't make it through August for me.
Regular basil is a summer star for me here.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #7
Floridian in Chicago
Tomatovillian™

I grew this for the first time last year in a self watering container. It was a huge and healthy plant, I made tons of pesto. I much preferred it to sweet basil, which always seems to get those black spots on the leaves for me. We liked it so much we're growing it again this year. Both years I've found it at Home Depot.
Floridian in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I recently bought a plant at Lowes under the Bonnies label. Seems to me the online info said they developed it?

Last edited by Sun City Linda; June 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: correct error
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote