Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old November 11, 2014   #16
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I don't consider Greek Columner to be strong- just "robust" - delicious to me ! I guess taste is in the mouth of the beholder ?
I agree with that. There are so many basils to grow and the flavors are so different.
It also depends on how you are using it.

I always grow Holy Basil and African Blue to attract beneficial insects. Somewhere I got the idea that the African Blue was not a good culinary herb. I have a friend that owns an herb farm and recently she held a cooking class. She used the African Blue and is was delicious. Because she is getting up in years I go over and help her get ready for events and I always leave with a load of plants and cuttings since I would never let her pay me. Even better than the plants I walk away with so much information.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I agree with that. There are so many basils to grow and the flavors are so different.

I always grow Holy Basil and African Blue to attract beneficial insects. Somewhere I got the idea that the African Blue was not a good culinary herb. I have a friend that owns an herb farm and recently she held a cooking class. She used the African Blue and is was delicious. Because she is getting up in years I go over and help her get ready for events and I always leave with a load of plants and cuttings since I would never let her pay me. Even better than the plants I walk away with so much information.
That sounds like lots of fun, my kind of event.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #18
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I like to serve herb infused wine when I have friends over for dinner. I recently served one bottle of pinot grigio infused with lemon basil and one with columnar basil. Everyone much preferred the lemon basil. I could only use lemon basil next time or if I use the columnar then I will pretty much have my own bottle of wine.
Old November 11, 2014   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
if I use the columnar then I will pretty much have my own bottle of wine.

I don't see how that would be a problem! ;-)
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I guess seed companies and nurseries that send seeds and transplants to our part of Texas think we are cave-people?

Transplants and seed packs sold in local stores around here just read, "Basil!" I'm surprised the growing instructions on the back doesn't say, "Stick seed in dirt, water, grow, eat."

(My wife is laughing in the background.)

I had no idea there were different types and strains of basil. I have a basil plant growing in a pot a few feet away from me right now. Yes, the seed pack I planted it from just has, "Basil" written on it on the front of the pack. It smells really nice and like liquorish. I found out today - it does not like cold weather. I left it outside when the cold front came through.

ChristinaJo, thank you for making this thread. I have learned from it. Wish I could offer a favorite variety...if I knew there was a such thing.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Harris Seeds has a few new to me basils that you might want to have a look at. I plant several varieties just for fun. They struggle indoors for me in the winter, but come to life once its warm enough to go outside in the sunshine. Sadly, last summer the transplants I started outside for taking indoors (the sweet basil type) got the fungus that causes spots and yellowing leaves. That never happened before. The holy basil is still going strong, but not what you are looking for with that pungent taste. It goes with many Thai type dishes but NOT Italian.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 12, 2014 at 08:10 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014   #22
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Spots/fungas

"got the fungus that causes spots and yellowing leaves."

If you are seeing a star shaped legion with a black interior it is caused by a leaf miner(blotched leaf miner).A member here(ChrisK)diagnosed it for me years ago.It is a little black fast moving fly that lays the egg then the leaf has a somewhat star shaped spot then eventually the whole leaf turns yellow.Removing affected leaves to stop life cycle and a spinosad spray regimen will stop it, takes time though.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]
Old November 13, 2014   #23
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I got my first 2015 seed catalog in the mail yesterday. High Mowing Seeds has a new cold tolerant basil called Keira. I think I will order some seeds to try it. By the way, they are now offering free shipping on all US seed orders, no minimum.
Old November 13, 2014   #24
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

OK, so African Blue can't be grown from seeds, how do you keep it going?
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #25
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I take cuttings at the end of the season. They root very easily. I don't have a greenhouse so I put them in the room with the most sun. Mine are getting pretty big now so I will probably do more cuttings in January so they will be ready to go outside in March.
Old November 13, 2014   #26
Hermitian
BANNED

African Blue has 10x the concentration of essential oils compared to Italian. You can use it for pesto, but because such a small amount is needed (Tbsp leaves per quart pasta) you'll want to add other greens if you want a green colored outcome.

I highly recommend Greek Columnar Basil to everyone. It is hardier than Italian and Thai cultivars, a smaller leaf size than Italian, a slightly stronger flavor with a hint of black pepper flavor. In areas of intense summer heat (e.g., 100+) it will need shade from noon on. It is perennial in zone 10 and above. Original species is from Kenyan highlands.
Old November 13, 2014   #27
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I grow Greek Columnar in full sun in Florida and it still does fine. We only get a few days that are 100, mainly just in the high 90s. I have cutting started for next spring already. I think if I could only grow one basil that would be the one. It doesn't seems to have issues with humidity and i have had no disease issues. Fortunately I can grow lots of basil so I don't have to make that tough decision.
Old November 13, 2014   #28
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I take cuttings at the end of the season. They root very easily. I don't have a greenhouse so I put them in the room with the most sun. Mine are getting pretty big now so I will probably do more cuttings in January so they will be ready to go outside in March.

So do you root them in water or soil? Thanks too, for the info! I have strong grow lights, so can grow indoors.

Hermitian, thanks for the suggestion. So i assume Greek Columnar Basil is different from Greek basil?
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #29
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Gee thanks Kay for mentioning that High Mowing has free shipping. That's going to cost me a pile of money {LOL}.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #30
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
So do you root them in water or soil? Thanks too, for the info! I have strong grow lights, so can grow indoors.

Hermitian, thanks for the suggestion. So i assume Greek Columnar Basil is different from Greek basil?
I use the same germinating mix that I start seeds in to root cuttings. I have T-8 lights but I am toying with the idea of getting some LED grow lights. I have been researching them but they are pricey.