Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old October 9, 2015   #1
robneal17
Tomatovillian™

Default oregano plant died

Hello everyone
I started a bunch of oregano plants from seeds at the start of the summer. some of them flourished, some did okay. I took a flourishing one, put it in a different pot and brought it to school with me. The leavers began turning brown so i repotted it, but the plant still slowly died. I put it out of it's misery today.

why did this happen? i see it happening on the other potted oregano plants too, just not as fast. Is it due to too much water? I notice the soil stays wet for longer in an indoor condition because I have standard lamps instead of sunlight which also gives radiant heat to evaporate water.

I also had a parsley plant spontaneously succumb to root rot yesterday, over the period of one, maybe two nighnts indoors. I'm definately thinking im overwatering given a standard potting soil mix with no provision for the lack of sun energy.

Thoughts?
robneal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Oregano will die if it is over watered. Once it gets a good set of roots it can go a long time without much water.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #3
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Herbs are fine on the dry side. Except mint and lemon balm. When you first plant ANY PLANT in a pot it will need to be kept moist until it's established, but after that herbs at least you can ignore a bit.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #4
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Oregano is a Mediterranean herb which thrives on neglec and an arid climatet. Too much water will kill it.

I put mine in pots and never water it.
Old November 2, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To give an example I have a really nice Pothos ivy in the house in a little pot that gets watered about once every two months.
It grows it's leaves are huge and shiny, some are about have the size of a big dish.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015   #6
robneal17
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! unfortunately, my account took almost a month to activate and then another month for the firth post to get approved. The oregano plant has been dead for about a month. I guess I will try with another oregano plant!
robneal17 is offline   Reply With Quote