Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 6, 2016   #16
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget West Coast Seeds, they have some super info in their catalogue, with growing charts etc and on their website there is all kinds of stuff eg how to put a hoop greenhouse together. Now I have to admit they have farcified themselves a bit over the last few years and they are a bit expensive but it is the best go to place for BC as many varieties are selected for here.

I did notice that Wemers was a Chinese outfit because on it's UK spot it says all the seeds are shipped from the UK which is a dead giveaway so I started looking at the fine print.

Now I am wondering what my packet of rare seeds really has inside it.....uuug

I have bought seeds from Salt Spring..no problems

Hey Carolyn, I watched the old Kirk Douglas film the Vikings just the other day.. Odin!!!!

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #17
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

I got a kick out of that Walmer's website, thanks. The foreign interpretations of things were fascinating. What appears to be English peas are ginseng carrots. I notice they don't tell you the Asian Pear grows on a tree. Tempting to order to see what you get, although it does have the hallmarks of a scam. Please let us know what your seeds turn out to be. There is no listing at all on the Dave's Garden Watchdog, which is unusual.

Last edited by sdzejachok; May 7, 2016 at 05:28 PM.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

My problem is what I got from the friend are Nine Star Perenial cauliflowers, no-one puts out the seed anymore. I has an old packet which I sowed and I have 1 precious plant. A friend in the UK had a part packet which she lovingly shared with me but they seem to have gone adrift in the mail, so you can imagine how excited I was to get this packet. If they are genuine they have to be quite old seed but my gut feeling tells me this company have latched onto a rare veggie and packed something. I will sow them but it would be a year at least before I knew what they are.Even if they come up as white brassicas they could weel be White sprouting broccoli..

It is quite a laugh though, it was the cut melon that did it for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut melon.jpg (20.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 7, 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 7, 2016   #19
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

A couple more Canadian sources.

http://www.annapolisseeds.com/category-s/1815.htm

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/

http://www.hopeseed.com/home

https://hawthornfarm.ca/our-seed/vegetables

http://prseeds.ca/seeds/

I didn't look to see if they ship to the U.S. If any of these have already been listed put it down to my memory bank is full and until I delete something, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL.

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Annette I think your post is in the wrong place, it is a topic on a specific seller.
Old May 7, 2016   #21
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

OOOPs, sorry.
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #22
oakley
Tomatovillian™

That was my fault taking this off topic supplier.
I would like a Canadian posting of suppliers but not my experience yet.
Just now starting a personal file of findings but not dare start an official post
without one-on-one experience.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #23
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne got me thinking about http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/, which I have thoughtfully looked around with enthusiasm.

Though I've never ordered from them, I'm impressed by the tomato offerings.
This 30 years in business, global seed source, seems to have many of the bells and whistles that we crave without the higher end retail seed prices.
Old May 11, 2016   #24
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have my doubts about this company, I am hesitant to believe the seeds are grown in the Uk, I think it is in another country and are using The Uk as a drop box the same as the earlier one is. My reason for saying this is because many of the varieties offered are not legally available in the UK as they are not on the EU list. Seeds not on the list can be sold but only to members of seed clubs, there is no offer to join their club . I am a member to three seed clubs in the UK, the life time membership is 1 penny but ut satisfies the law.

I could be very wrong, it is just a gut feeling, some of the words used are not UK spellings etc. Some of the tomato names are not accurate, eg Micro...and they say they grow all their tomatoes yet they have hybrids.

I will put a few feelers out with friends in the Uk and get back to you.

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 11, 2016 at 01:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 11, 2016   #25
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Goose Creek and Spudakee from seeds purchased from PWS. Both were the right variety and there was good germination.

They claim the following, though there's no way to know for sure:
"We sell this year's home-grown, fresh seeds, supplying the pick of our UK grown crop."

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #26
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Simran and sjames. PWS and Walmers are the same company, they have the same address in the UK..I looked up PWS and recognized the address they give which is an area I know and I remember distinctly it is the same adress as Walmers. I went back to look at the Walmers site and the link I put on has been severed..So yes they are a Chinese company.

I just checked the US site too and they have reworded their ad 2 days ago and no longer claim to grow anything except spot check things

They are selling on e bay as UK based but not claiming t grow everything now

And just checked the original site I put the link on from and it says This site is being revised CHINASEEDS

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 18, 2016 at 09:49 PM.