Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 15, 2016   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
Carolyn, really nice to see you here commenting
It is this variety: http://www.irinas-shop.de/cuor-di-bu...d-p-10501.html
It is clearly red, not pink. I honestly don't know if the seller got the name right but I think it can't be Reif Red Heart because this one is a really short plant for an indet. variety and not wispy at all. I can take a picture of the whole plant for you... I had it in the ground last season and even there it never got above 1,20m height.

The fatalii gets almost full sunlight but in june there wasn't much sun at all I understand that fruits get smaller with bad weather conditions but pea sized really seems a bit too small? None of my others reacted like that. I'll take another picture later.
I've had all my pepper seeds from pepperlover but I'll switch seed sources for the next season...

Yes, I hope that I can really start to taste my tomatoes by the end of july
I know the website and have been there before and she is absolutely wrong about a name that includes di Bui as well as Reif.

I took the time this AM to go through all of the color classes and there are MANY errors that I saw,same as last time but now some new ones.

Some she got from that Estonian site and for many she just made up names, I'm sorry to tell you that.

You'd do much better going to Reinhard Kraft's site

http://www.reinhard-kraft.de/

And on the left you'll see that Manfred Hahm is selling seeds for over 1000 varieties.

Both Reinhard,whom I've known for several decades now,and Manfred, know their tomatoes well,and no made up names,nothing like that.

Normally when referring someone to Manfred,I say that his English is very good,but I don't have to say that to you since while your English is great,if it's easier,Manfred and you can use German..

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2016   #32
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That fatalii plant looks great, but the pods are way wrong. They are triggering ripening immediately after set. I have seen pods do this but it is rare. I can't ascribe a cause to a whole plant doing it. I suggest that you pick them off and hope that the plant sets some normal pods. Good luck.

Dennis

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #33
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks... At least I've figured out this season how to keep pepper plants happy and healty

Carolyn, when I first came across Manfred Hahm's page I wasn't even sure if I could order from him because he doesn't offer any information about the ordering process But now I'll try it...

I'm honestly not sure why Irina doesn't pay attention to the names of varieties... She seems verry passionated in keeping these varieties alive. Sadly the store hasn't a very friendly customer service so I won't contact them and ask They were really rude when I messaged them once. But at that time I was very hesitant about ordering seeds from other countries so I still ordered there.
From what I understand in her videos some of her varieties might be more "landrace varieties" from her family in russia.

For 2017 I've already ordered some seeds from Tatiana And they arrived without any problems. From what I understand there is still a risk of customs keeping and destroying your order but this time I was lucky...
Plus I've now found some other european seed sources I can order from
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks... At least I've figured out this season how to keep pepper plants happy and healty

Carolyn, when I first came across Manfred Hahm's page I wasn't even sure if I could order from him because he doesn't offer any information about the ordering process But now I'll try it...

I'm honestly not sure why Irina doesn't pay attention to the names of varieties... She seems verry passionated in keeping these varieties alive. Sadly the store hasn't a very friendly customer service so I won't contact them and ask They were really rude when I messaged them once. But at that time I was very hesitant about ordering seeds from other countries so I still ordered there.
From what I understand in her videos some of her varieties might be more "landrace varieties" from her family in russia.

For 2017 I've already ordered some seeds from Tatiana And they arrived without any problems. From what I understand there is still a risk of customs keeping and destroying your order but this time I was lucky...
Plus I've now found some other european seed sources I can order from
Yes, Tania is great, and yes there are other European sources..

But if you read my long post about phytosanitary certificates, please know that I've never had had ANYTHING confiscated that I've sent to Germany and I named many other countries where that was true.Just one time my seeds were delayed for a long time getting to Germany,but that was due to some customs problem, I think it was a strike and they finally did arrive.

And I have sent and received many tomato seeds from many in Germany,almost all of whom are Tville members as well.

About Irina.I see her website as a marketing site for her book,her videos,and on and on, and just my opinion but I doubt that some of them are landrace varieties from Russia, and that b/c all the landrace ones I know of are not genetically stable,which is why they are called landraces.I don't think she would want to deal with that in terms of customer satisfaction and feedback.

Edited to add the following link to Manfred's list where he gives contact information,e-mail would probably work best, since I don't remember how much he charges,but I know it is way lower than others

http://www.reinhard-kraft.de/

Well, that turned out to be the general link so just click on Manfred's list and you'll see the contact info.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2016   #35
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I've found his list

Probably landrace was the wrong word, sometimes I just don't find the right expressions She says that some of her varieties are from her parents collection and they've planted them for decades in Russia.
I don't know... I'm sometimes a bit too trusting And obviously an online shop with a good structure and nice pictures works wonders to attract customers and as a newbie you don't know if the names make sense or not...

There is still a huge discussion if it is allowed to grow heirlooms (and other varieties without a licence) in Germany and if you are allowed to save your own seeds an so on. Last week I've seen a documentary from 2016 that says growing heirloom tomatoes in your home garden is illegal.
Today I've read an article that it will now be allowed to do so. But there is so much confusing information out there
I've decided not to care about. Other university students grow hemp as a hobby and get away with it so I'll hopefully get away with tomatoes
Old July 15, 2016   #36
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Save the stickers from your store-bought produce and stick them on your tomatoes. They'll look like they're store-bought and no one will call the cops.

A banana sticker on a tom? Sure, why not?
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #37
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Picked today:

My mom asked me if it is a pepper. After I said no she asked if it is a squash
Old July 16, 2016   #38
charline
Tomatovillian™

congrats! this is my favorite tomato! if you let it ripen a little longer it even gets better
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #39
clara
Tomatovillian™

Meridiana, there is no reason to stop growing heirlooms in your garden! Carolyn has informed me that you are worried, but please forget about it! I'm growing tomatoes since many years in my garden - this year 125 different varieties, among them many heirlooms and only one hybrid - and I have never ever got any problems doing so. No control ever - who should do this?

I know about the discussions you mentioned, but that only applies to commercial shops who want to sell heirlooms. They indeed need a certificate which costs about 1000 Euros per variety, but I suppose you don't want to open a commercial shop, aren't you? As long as you are growing tomatoes, be they heirlooms or not, for your own use, you can grow whatever you want.

As to Irina: I've never ordered from her because I was a bit too skeptical concerning some of the varieties she is offering, but as Carolyn mentioned, Manfred Hahm-Hartmann and Reinhard Kraft are excellent sources to get (new) varieties and this for VERY small money. They don't want to make profit out of their offer, but share and distribute rare and sometimes endangered varieties, thus keep the diversity. I've never had any problems with their seeds and all grew true to type.

Another great German source is Gerhard Bohl, but unfortunately he is NOT on the net with his huge collection of all kind of veggies - you have to write him a letter to get a CD or an USB-stick first which show what he is offering, for small money also. The CD or the USB-stick are not for free, but they don't cost a fortune and there are a lot of infos in them.

Good luck with your plants and let's hope that FINALLY some kind of summer will arrive!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #40
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Merediana , that is a great heart tomato! You just keep growing them like that!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #41
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Meridiana, I can only echo what clara has said. If you want to order from Manfred Hahm send him an e-mail listing the varieties you want and Manfred will reply to you as to the cost and and how to make payment.

As far as ordering seeds from the states I've been doing so for the last 15 years and only once did the Zoll hold up my order and after going to there office I opened up the parcel which had 20 packs of seeds they looked at it and said no problem and I did not have to pay tax!

Most of the seed vendors I've I have ordered seeds from here in Europe were without problems. In the case of Irina's I did have problems and would not recommend.

The weather we have had this year has definately been crazy. Due to all the rain and storms we had in May and June delayed my plant outs and I am a month behind and expect a late harvest this year. I live in the Kaiserslautern area.

Ami
Old July 17, 2016   #42
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information

This is the documentary I've watched:http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendunge...ung511572.html
But as I mentioned there is A LOT of confusing information out there and I'm not even sure if they are right with what they are saying

I certainly won't stop growing heirlooms

Since Irinas customer service was so rude I won't order there again anyways...

Amideutsch, I live 10km away from Kaiserslautern
Old July 17, 2016   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the information

This is the documentary I've watched:http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendunge...ung511572.html
But as I mentioned there is A LOT of confusing information out there and I'm not even sure if they are right with what they are saying

I certainly won't stop growing heirlooms

Since Irinas customer service was so rude I won't order there again anyways...

Amideutsch, I live 10km away from Kaiserslautern
I confess that I asked both Clara and Ami to post what their experiences were after growing tomatoes and much more in Germany for many years.

And thanks to both of you for doing that.

Ami told you where he lives, and if Clara had done so she would have said Pulheim,near Cologne, as I recall,and I would have spelled that Koln, but couldn't get my umlaut key stroke to work, OK,I forgot the key stroke..

Carolyn
Old July 18, 2016   #44
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn

I had my last exam for this month so I'm really exhausted today... I still checked all my tomatoes and most of them are doing great
There are 3 exeptions, the 2 plants in some really bad grow bags that don't hold water at all. I had one more container so on one plant I cut the grow bag open and transfered it to the container - I hope this wasn't too much stress.
The other plant that is not doing well is White Oxheart, another flush of BER, the foilage looks healthy and all but I had to throw away every single fruit

Candy Sweet Icicle on the other hand is doing great now, no more new BER and the first 2 fruits are ripening, I'm so excited. Plus I've seen blushing fruits on Kremser Perle and Henderson's Pink Ponderosa too.

Oh and I've picked 2 Trefle du Togo but so far the taste isn't too great. But maybe it will improve over the season.

So far Amethyst Cream Cherry is really the only one that has an outstandig flavor after weeks with maybe 2-4h of sunshine per day. I think that's amazing
Old July 19, 2016   #45
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed looking at your lovely pictures! You are doing a great job even after the setbacks. What determination! I admire that.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote