Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old May 21, 2016   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 20 May 2016 Planting Basil

http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/20...%20Basil/HTML/ 20 May 2016 Planting Basil
Basil which has been in the green house was planted outdoors. Two type purchased in flats are Purple Ruffles (4) and Genovesse (8). Both grow well in my garden. Both are very similar except for the color.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

What kind of wood chips do you use? Thinking about getting a huge load from our lumber mill. It would be pine.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
What kind of wood chips do you use? Thinking about getting a huge load from our lumber mill. It would be pine.
In my area they are probably a variety of chopped trees, but mostly deciduous. I would take anything as long as the chips are of a relatively small size. I also prefer those that have ben composed for a year, but see nothing with even fresh ones, since they are used primarily for a cover. I am a great believer in their use. Mine cost $10.00 a cubic yard.
Old May 21, 2016   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Just as a comparison,here in S Florida that same amount would cost me 20-25 bucs and it is sourced from Georgia pine.Pine Bark Fines(mini nuggets) are for me the greatest thing since sliced bread.From container mix,low area yard fill ins,dog run protections,and most of all sod thatch builder.Turns a nice red when dry,smells nice too.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/pine%2520...20fines?NCNI-5
Old May 21, 2016   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, what are you going to do with your basil? Surely you don't juice it....?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
In my area they are probably a variety of chopped trees, but mostly deciduous. I would take anything as long as the chips are of a relatively small size. I also prefer those that have ben composed for a year, but see nothing with even fresh ones, since they are used primarily for a cover. I am a great believer in their use. Mine cost $10.00 a cubic yard.
I get a trailer that holds 19 cubic yards I think. I pay $40 a trailer load. I can get small,like a dust/small shavings or a larger chip like yours. It is freshly milled but I doubt that should hurt since it will be on top for the entire season. In fact,I could even leave it on top and just do no-till, depending on how it all looks.
I start lugging wheelbarrow loads tomorrow.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I juice it all. Never use it in cooking. There is not a lot of material in a pound of basil leaves and seed. I do like the odour.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/June%2020...20Celery/HTML/ 15 June 2015 Juice Kale Collards Escarole Basil Celery
The current vegetables in the garden were made into 20 liters of juice, and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Vegetables were Collards 4 pounds, Kale 7 pounds, Escarole 4 pounds, Basil 1/4 pound, Celery 4 pounds. All were cooked until soft and beat into a slurry then stained and stored in liter jars. Pictures depict the process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CHWRD 11 July 2012 Tomato Juice.(Beet,Carrot,Basil)
Fourteen pounds of tomatoes was made into juice with some beets to enhance colour, some carrots for more nutrition, and some basil for flavour.All the products were picked immediately prior to processing. Annotated photographs depict the process.
Old May 22, 2016   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I get a trailer that holds 19 cubic yards I think. I pay $40 a trailer load.

You can't go wrong from where I sit.

I only get ten yards if I buy the chips. Don't want a heavier truck on the driveway.

I pick up half a yard at a time using a box in the back of the van for $5.00, and it is only a couple of miles distance. I use this method if I only need a small quantity.