Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 2, 2018   #1
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default Bitter Melon?

Hi,
I usually grow Green Skin Bitter Melon/gourd. Green Skin was not available from Baker Creek this year, instead I bought Abashi. I googled this and couldn't find much about this B.G except what the description said at Baker Creek.

I don't anyone else in my area that grows Bitter Gourd except me. Here though, someone else must grow it. Some thoughts from someone who grew Abashi Bitter Gourd would be most helpfull
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #2
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Abashi is one of the bitter melons that I grow in rotation, a Japanese variety with glossy, deep green skin. Not as long as some, and only moderately productive for me... maybe it will do better in a warmer climate. Wish I could post a photo, but I lost that capability when PB stopped free hosting.

The seed for this variety was originally offered through the Seed Savers Exchange. Is Baker Creek offering it now? I couldn't find it on their website. Jere is an SSE member, so if he has Abashi, his seed is probably from the same source as mine.

Just checked... my seed is overdue for renewal, so I will probably be growing Abashi this year too.

Last edited by Zeedman; March 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: last thoughts
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2018   #3
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Abashi is one of the bitter melons that I grow in rotation, a Japanese variety with glossy, deep green skin. Not as long as some, and only moderately productive for me... maybe it will do better in a warmer climate. Wish I could post a photo, but I lost that capability when PB stopped free hosting.

The seed for this variety was originally offered through the Seed Savers Exchange. Is Baker Creek offering it now? I couldn't find it on their website. Jere is an SSE member, so if he has Abashi, his seed is probably from the same source as mine.

Just checked... my seed is overdue for renewal, so I will probably be growing Abashi this year too.
Hi,
This season Baker Creek has 3 bitter melons listed in their catalog, they are:
Big Top Bitter Melon
Satsuma Ohnaga Bitter Melon ( I almost ordered this)
and Abashi Bitter Melon.
I already ordered from Baker Creek this season. I am glad that I got my bitter melon, as in the past they have run out of it.
I hope that the above is helpful.
Old March 3, 2018   #4
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creek has two more BM varieties listed now on their website (it took me awhile to find them). You might be particularly interested in "Taiwan White", described as a very mild variety. I just ordered some for trial.

"Siamese", based upon the description, may be similar in flavor to the very bitter "Thailand" variety I obtained from Evergreen Seeds... but "Thailand" is much more elongated (and has the shortest DTM of any BM I've grown thus far).
Old March 4, 2018   #5
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Baker Creek has two more BM varieties listed now on their website (it took me awhile to find them). You might be particularly interested in "Taiwan White", described as a very mild variety. I just ordered some for trial.

"Siamese", based upon the description, may be similar in flavor to the very bitter "Thailand" variety I obtained from Evergreen Seeds... but "Thailand" is much more elongated (and has the shortest DTM of any BM I've grown thus far).
Hi,
Yes, I saw the other two varieties of Bitter Melon at Baker Creek. It was the word 'mild' that made be pick the Abashi seed.
I haven't ordered from Evergreen Seed in years. But I used to order from them-where I bought a Hybrid bitter melon from, the only seed I bought from them didn't germinate was a gourd: Yatoo? Something like that...or maybe that is the name of a Star Wars charecter? I can't remember...anyway, have you ordered from them lately?
I like to pre-cook mine a little, then add it to stewed tomatoes. Sometimes I stuff it with bread crumbs and vegetables and bake it. But I like it raw the most. I heard that it is good with scrambled eggs, but I haven't tried that yet.
Old March 4, 2018   #6
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I haven't ordered from Evergreen for several years. They were late in delivering when I last ordered, and one of the varieties (a soybean) was completely dead. Their website has been up & down several times in recent years. My confidence in them is pretty low at present... which is unfortunate, given that they still have quite a bit that is unavailable elsewhere.

Yes, eggs & tomatoes complement bitter melon well. DW makes a soup out of bitter melon, eggs, tomato, and chicken. We par-boil the BM to reduce bitterness. You can also cut & salt BM, which will also reduce the bitterness.

Last edited by Zeedman; March 4, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old February 18, 2020   #7
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

I had good luck with Deva and Futo Goya from Kitazawa Seed. Looking at their web site at the moment, they have 9 different varieties.

Also trying the white Jyunpaku' variety this year from Baker Creek. Curious to see how it tastes!
Okijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020   #8
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
I had good luck with Deva and Futo Goya from Kitazawa Seed. Looking at their web site at the moment, they have 9 different varieties.

Also trying the white Jyunpaku' variety this year from Baker Creek. Curious to see how it tastes!
Yes, I was looking at that white one too, but decided not to purchase. I don't want to try too many varieties, as I'm the only one that eats bitter melon, but not on a regular basis. It's very healthy for you, so each summer I try to eat more.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown this but have been wondering for a long time, how bitter is bitter melon? Is it a "pucker your mouth" type of bitter? Does it linger for a while after you've eaten it? Do you sweeten it any when cooking? Is there anything else you can compare it to? Just wondering.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2020   #10
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It is bitter! You can try masking it with other flavors, such as red hot chillies, then it becomes spicy and bitter!
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020   #11
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I did a simple pickling recipe with it, and it was pretty good. Not as bitter. I think the bitter compounds is what makes it healthy. You just have to try it, and see if you can handle it. I usually eat it at breakfast. I sauté a spicy pepper in Avocado oil, then add
a few cherry tomatoes from the garden, then add scrambled egg with some cheese. That's the only way I have eaten it.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020   #12
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the descriptions. I think I'll pass as bitterness isn't something I like, no matter how healthy it is . And I'd have to bump something off the grow list to try it.

But now I know and appreciate the responses.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2020   #13
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I tried canning pickled bitter melon last year with a thick slice of ginger in each jar. The flavor is good, fairly pleasant actually; but the consistency is too soft for my taste. The same recipe might be good as a refrigerator pickle, a friend of ours gets good results that way. This year I'll try brining them before canning, hopefully that will increase the firmness.

While I will make some BM refrigerator pickles this year, there's not enough room in the fridge, so I need to find a way to can bitter melon that doesn't turn it to mush. It might be that some varieties are better suited to canning. Or it may be that I'll have to freeze it for the winter. Back to the lab...
Old March 13, 2020   #14
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

How about fermenting? Like they do with cabbage/sauerkraut. Practically any vegetable can be fermented (DH fermented green cherry tomatoes once).
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitter gourd , bitter melon