Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 19, 2012   #91
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Can you donate them to a local school or some other non-profit like a church and receive a receipt for a tax write off? I donated some plants to a homeless shelter garden and I didnt even ask, they gave me a tax receipt. I know it isnt the same as selling them, but it comes in handy at tax time.

The other guys who are really helpful are Doug and Ken at the Hudson Valley Seed library, I am only mentioning them not just because they are nice and smart folks but also because they are in NY state and they will be familiar with the ins and outs of all the laws there. I bet if you emailed them they would help you. I am also sure there are a lot of nice people here who will help you too.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2012   #92
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

In NY you need two permits. One for growing them and one for Selling them. If you go to the regional market in Syracuse you'll have to do it right. What I'd do if I only have a few. they could be sold side of the road. I'd sell "used pots." For example I'd sell a "used" pot was used to raise a Mortgage lifter tomato. The tomato would just happen still be in the pot as it too expensive to discard and that is why the pot is so "cheap" I'd also use Craigslist.

That's how mattresses are done at an auction. The bed is sold, Take the mattress if you want as it is "just" trash.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2012   #93
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

hi jeniffer ty for the suggestion i heard many great things about doug and kens seed library so i will contact them.. i usually donate my extra plants to our rural services and they even have a community garden there where alot of the produce is distributed to the poor which is such a great idea last year they were giving 100 lb sacks of potatoes to the needy families
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2012   #94
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

doug i j ust go to a small market here i do things on a small scale but its a friendly market and theres no fee to sell its under a pavillion i love growing all the hierlooms as thats what i appreciate but most people like what they are used to but when i get them to sample they usually become repeat ... only hybrid i sell is sungold cherry cusyomers just love the taste
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2012   #95
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm bumping this older thread to say that I contacted the state of Illinois early this year, and they told me I only needed a nursery license if I "overwintered nursery stock," which basically means sell trees. The point of the inspection and license is to prevent the spread of dreaded diseases that might infect orchards and other tree stock. It's very hard to spread disease and cause long-term impact with plants that are annuals in Illinois, like tomatoes and peppers. Typically, whatever disease you spread would die off the next winter, mitigating the public harm, so no state inspection or license is required. Once again, I'm talking about Illinois. Every state could be different.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #96
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks

Just curious, there are several of us in northern Illinois - are you nearby?
Old July 16, 2012   #97
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Welcome. And no, I'm downstate.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #98
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Too bad, I was hoping I might have found another for a little tomato tasting
Old August 9, 2012   #99
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I am so happy someone is selling. It don't look like I will be open this month. Maybe next month, with my back-up tomatoes plants.

I have been giving my tomatoes growing in cages to community projects and seeding until I can rebuld my farm from last Year Hurricane.

Giving your extra's to churches and homeless might be a blessing.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote