Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 20, 2015   #1
george_athens
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing corn and beans together

I am trying for the first time to grow pole beans on my corn plants, as it's supposed to be a good combination. The thing is, I read that corn needs a lot of nitrogen fertilizer, but beans are intolerant of it. So how does this work? People have experience with this combination?

George
george_athens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Growing any squash? You got two of the three sisters already!
The story they told us growing up was they put a fish in the hole then planted. Sorry I got nuthin' else.
Cornell says this:

http://blogs.cornell.edu/garden/get-...three-sisters/
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #3
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Carol Deppe's The Resilient Gardener has a great section on corn and beans. Some quick useful bits:

-- Plant the beans when the corn is about 4 inches tall -- give the corn a head start. Pre-soak the beans before planting, since it'll be harder to keep the soil wet enough to germinate seeds once the corn starts drinking from the soil.

-- If you're planting corn in groups of 3, one bean per group of 3. The bean plants will twine around all 3 plants and help keep them from falling over.

-- If you're planting beans in a corn patch, best practice is to plant the outer rows, and to space the stalks in that row 50% further apart than the rest of the rows.

-- From Carol's experience in Oregon, Withner White Cornfield is the best/mode shade-tolerant variety for planting deeper inside the corn -- for outer rows of the corn patch, all bean varieties will be fine.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #4
george_athens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies! I have already planted the corn and the beans and they are growing wonderfully. What I'm mainly concerned about though is how to fertilize them, since corn seems to need a lot of nitrogen, while beans do not seem to tolerate it.
george_athens is offline   Reply With Quote