Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 12, 2016   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Marsha,

I think you said somewhere, sometime, that you re-use the ProMix BX from season to season. Two questions with that:

1) What do you do with the leftover roots from the plants you remove?
Leave them, or pull them out? If you pull them out, how does that work to prevent
loss of the mix?

2) Do you add another cup of lime to the re-used ProMix for each season?
I figure that adding more fertilizer for each new season is a given.

Thanks so much. I had a great season with my beginner's collection of earth boxes!

I had a couple with tomatoes, a couple with peppers, one growing lacinato and rainbow kale, one with bush beans and one with pole beans.
What a great way to garden! The kale and beans truly loved it!
Roots remain, I leave them. They just become part of the soil.
Yes 1 new cup of lime every season, plus dig out the old fertilizer and add new.
I love them too. Up to 47 now.
Here is a tutorial I did with photos step by step of the yearly EB renewal, in the Floridians thread. Start with post 1844.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...idians&page=93
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Today's harvest- I pick most when showing a blush but not fully ripe because of critters. As these become riper and get more color I will forward separate photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161213_155330-800x600.jpg (130.4 KB, 473 views)
Old December 13, 2016   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default LITHIUM SUNSET

This one is a winner. Unreal productivity, fruit with firm flesh, normal skin yet didn't crack in the 3 days of rain we just had. Pink flesh, radiant yellow and pink striping. Taste was a 9/10. A keeper. No wonder Paddy uses it in his crosses so much. Mine did not have the thick core he stated his had.
The green fruit on the plant shows you the production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161213_163327-800x600.jpg (83.7 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg 20161213_163410-800x600.jpg (99.0 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg 20161203_151626_003-600x800.jpg (181.5 KB, 469 views)
Old December 13, 2016   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Limbaugh's Legacy PT , Olive Hill

Last season we had a generous donation of LLPT, but they grew out as regular leaf, so I went back to my 12 seeds left from 2014, and got the real PL. Saving seeds, it is delicious and productive, and PL!

Olive Hill from my friend Tenille up north. This is huge fruit, medium to med.low production, but the taste was so good my knees got weak! I will grow at least once more to see if production improves, because I loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161213_165952-800x600.jpg (101.6 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 20161213_170022-800x600.jpg (96.6 KB, 467 views)
Old December 13, 2016   #20
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Purty pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Today's harvest- I pick most when showing a blush but not fully ripe because of critters. As these become river and get more color I will forward separate photos.
My granddaughter, 20 mos, and I are clapping and goin yaaaaaaaay. Those are nice and they look blemish free! Waiting on colors!.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Umm, I'm drooling a little here so please forgive me...

Marsha, your plants look terrific this year. So much better than last year. I really enjoy reading this thread as it keeps me 'growing and glowing' throughout the off season. Your photos are fun and your descriptions are informative. It will be 8 months until I eat my next home grown tomato.

Thanks for doing this once again!
Old December 13, 2016   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
My granddaughter, 20 mos, and I are clapping and goin yaaaaaaaay. Those are nice and they look blemish free! Waiting on colors!.
How cute is That! I am waiting on the colors too. We gave had 2 Caprese salads, tossed salad with our lettuce, kale, and about a pound of tomatoes in each bowl, making bruschettas tomorrow, I have 12 seed jars fermenting, getting our dehydrator out tomorrow, giving away to several friends and my doctor and dentist, so I am not really in a huge hurry for them to ripen or I will have to make sauce, and we still have 3 jars from last season. Nice problem to have, right?
Old December 13, 2016   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Umm, I'm drooling a little here so please forgive me...

Marsha, your plants look terrific this year. So much better than last year. I really enjoy reading this thread as it keeps me 'growing and glowing' throughout the off season. Your photos are fun and your descriptions are informative. It will be 8 months until I eat my next home grown tomato.

Thanks for doing this once again!
Oh Patti! Guess what? I have Kiss The Sky getting ripe now. Tatiana stabilized thus from Purple Haze F1, and it has lots of fruit. You are right, this year is way, way better than last year.(last year $ucked)
Old December 13, 2016   #24
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - your photos look wonderful. Totally agree about ripening too fast and sauce. I'm just trying to taste them first before I give the same variety away.

I was picking about the same point as you but the wind has been lower so I'm leaving on the vines a little longer.

I picked my 2nd Raspberry Miracle tomato today - plant from your swap.

Such a great tomato season for everyone in Florida!!!
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - your photos look wonderful. Totally agree about ripening too fast and sauce. I'm just trying to taste them first before I give the same variety away.

I was picking about the same point as you but the wind has been lower so I'm leaving on the vines a little longer.

I picked my 2nd Raspberry Miracle tomato today - plant from your swap.

Such a great tomato season for everyone in Florida!!!
Thanks Barb.This season is sensational. All you guys always out do me, so if mine is this great yours must be through the Roof!

Barb, did you grow Jaune Flamme (spelling) last season?
Old December 13, 2016   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It's too late to edit the first post, but I figured out what the variety in the third photo is: Aunt Ruby's German Green.
Old December 13, 2016   #27
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Barb.This season is sensational. All you guys always out do me, so if mine is this great yours must be through the Roof!

Barb, did you grow Jaune Flamme (spelling) last season?
Yes, last spring, early and TONS of tomatoes.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #28
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh Patti! Guess what? I have Kiss The Sky getting ripe now. Tatiana stabilized thus from Purple Haze F1, and it has lots of fruit. You are right, this year is way, way better than last year.(last year $ucked)
I grew Kiss the Sky last year but I did it rather poorly. I had it in a one gallon pot that never made it into the garden. It did produce a few tomatoes and probably not the best examples of it I'm sure, so I will be awaiting to hear your review of it. I still feel guilty for the way I treated that poor plant...
Old December 13, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They all look wonderful Marsha

Hmm, I typo-ed your name at first and auto correct didn't point it out. I forgot the r.

Kiss the Sky grew and produced very well for us earlier this year too. Giving Tatiana a gold star
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They all look wonderful Marsha

Hmm, I typo-ed your name at first and auto correct didn't point it out. I forgot the r.

Kiss the Sky grew and produced very well for us earlier this year too. Giving Tatiana a gold star
Robert-Great! Good to know it did well.

Patti, don't feel guilty about that. Too much else in life to soak up our guilt over.