Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 22, 2012   #1
mr_gentleman
Tomatovillian™

Default A few random questions I can't find answers to

I am growing some potatoes and they are doing quite nicely...that is, as long as I keep DE around to keep the earwigs from feasting on them. So on to the questions...

All of the information I read online about adding more soil to get more potatoes growing from the stem show plants that are somewhat tall and lanky, but my potatoes are very bushy and stout. I would like to try to keep building up the soil around them and try to get more potatoes. Here are my questions, and if one is a definite no it probably isn't worth answering the next one.

1) Would it be a bad idea to cut the bottom shoots from the plant, cover and let them heal, and then add more soil?

2) If I cut the lowest shoots from my potato plants, is it possible to "clone" them like other plants?

3) Would these clones, if they take, produce tubers, or should I put them elsewhere and try to get seed from them.
Old March 22, 2012   #2
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Yes, yes, and yes. But I think you would be better off just pulling an inch or two up around the plant two or three times over six weeks or so. Do you have pics of your plants?
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Could even be a idea instead of adding soil to mound up,maybe you could add a mulch like hay,straw or something similar around them.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #4
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Yes!!!! Straw works great, no need to use soil. Just leave approx 3" of stem sticking up from top.
Duets is offline   Reply With Quote