Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2006   #1
YellowJacket
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring is coming

I just wanted to let all of the yankees stuck in the freezer up north know that spring is heading your way. This week the Daffodils, Bradford Pears, Cherry trees, and Plums have all bloomed here in north Georgia. It is seventy today after a hard freeze yesterday. However about every other year all of those flowers are covered in snow in March. I remember thirteen years ago having the tallest daffodils poking out of 18" of snow.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #2
bully
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up..I been starting to wonder
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This Yankee is hoping for some good snow or at least a month of good rain. We are very short of moisture and the daytime temps have not been below freezing but for a week or two. We were in the upper 50's all last week and scheduled for the same all this week with a few days of upper 60's thrown in. It has been the non-winter winter. At least I am ahead of the Spring to do list.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update !

~ Tom

ps. brings a tear to this Yankees eye ~
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #5
bully
Tomatovillian™

I haven't shoveled once this year..Mrs. Bully has..and I would have been right out there with her if not for my syaticalymbargo muscle flaring up..again..luckily it righted itself just before me and the girls went sledding...WWEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee
Old February 28, 2006   #6
WildLife
Tomatovillian™

Yeah,
I personelly think there is another 2 weeks min.
My gut says a month late here in california.
No science just gut.
Wild "cooouldd bee could bee" Life
WildLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #7
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

It was pushing 80° here today. WAY above normal.
Old February 28, 2006   #8
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I remember that 13 years ago too. It was the year my father died and we drove home in that storm. We don't get snow every other year here though. We haven't had any real snow in several years. As a matter a fact I think my oldest was about 13 or 14 the last time we had snow(6 inches) and he is 18 now. You probably are farther north than I am. But we also had about 71* today too(did get that hard freeze the night before too) and should be warmer tomorrow. Will drop down to the upper 50's this weekend but I am sure we will be back up again. I have planted lettuce, cabbage, onions and peas. My plum is blooming and so are the cherry bushes, daffodils and tulip tree.
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #9
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Here in Macon, GA the weather was beautiful today. Cherry Blossom festival http://www.cbfmacon.com/cms/ next month looks to (once again) miss all the blossoms. Why do they have it in March not Feburary? Oh yeah, the Cherry Blossom festival is Mr. Fickling's birthday celebration, forgot. Still I really doubt we will have any real frost here any time soon and my tomatoes which will go in ground in a couple weeks will be just fine.
Old February 28, 2006   #10
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know because it's really cold here in Rhode Island. And there's snow on the way. I haven't seen a blackbird or a grackle yet.
Old February 28, 2006   #11
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

ahhhhhh, spring.

it was 0 degrees this morning when i went to work. 75 inches of snow.....in february. got a little over 3ft of snow on the ground in the county although it looks closer to 4 ft on top of the garden judging from the metal stakes around it. they're 5 ft high.
the days are getting longer though, and the sun is no longer a ufo. so, there is hope.

just another day in paradise

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #12
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith
ahhhhhh, spring.

it was 0 degrees this morning when i went to work. 75 inches of snow.....in february. got a little over 3ft of snow on the ground in the county although it looks closer to 4 ft on top of the garden judging from the metal stakes around it. they're 5 ft high.

keith in calumet

Dang Keith,

I would cry, if I ever experienced the weather you described. I live just outside of Sacramento. I complain whenever the weather hits under 65F. It hailed earlier today for the first time this season. I ran for cover.

I guess that I am bias. I was raised in the L.A. area with lots of family in AZ. 75" of snow? What would I do? I am only 60" tall.

My best friend moved to Baltimore from Sacramento about 4 months ago. She was sure surprised when winter hit.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #13
bully
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith
ahhhhhh, spring.

the days are getting longer though, and the sun is no longer a ufo. so, there is hope.

just another day in paradise

keith in calumet

Hang in there buddy,

Your little guy will be running around outside before too long. I still can't believe how much time we spend indoors compared to Spring, Summer and Fall.

bully
Old March 1, 2006   #14
YellowJacket
Tomatovillian™

I have also noticed that all of the migrating birds are camping out for a while. I have seen lots of blackbirds for the past month or so. The sand hill cranes flew through about two weeks ago. That always signals spring. They fly down in November in front of the first arctic front and return in February or usually March ahead of the warm air.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #15
melody
Tomatovillian™

It was 71 here yesterday and looking for over 75 today...then back to the 50's

The grackles and blackbirds are on their way....clouds of them headed north for long peroids of time. One group took over 20 minutes to pass yesterday. We've had robins all winter, they never left.

I am in extreme south-west KY....it's more like AR or TN here...not the same as the rest of the state. We warm up sooner and cool down later west of the Lakes.

Spring is coming....thank goodness! my natural gas bills were killers this winter!
melody is offline   Reply With Quote