Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 15, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Paprika

I need some help, if anybody can. I have decided to start simple and get brave and make some dried paprika powder this year. I'm tired of the store always being out and waiting months for the sales reps to come restock.

I have all kinds of seeds, but I know the names and don't have descriptions. My bad. At some point I need to do that. I'm lucky to have them alphabetical order.

I know if the name has Paprika in it, I can use it; like Alma's Paprika, but what other peppers can I grow that will make good paprika?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I grew Leutschauer paprika last year and am growing this year too. It made it through all the rain and still produced a lot of peppers. They are mild <1,000 Scoville.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Paprika

Edit - I keep trying to respond, but my posts aren't coming through right. Will try again later.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; March 15, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Paprika is the name for not only peppers but the powder.
It can be made with any pepper or blend of peppers you want.
It can be sweet hot smoked pungent or a blend of the above.
Some is made with the seeds ground up and some has the seeds removed.
What we see as Hungarian Paprika in the states is a joke compared to what they have over there.
For many people here in the US the only thing they do with it is sprinkle in on deviled eggs once or twice a year.
When I cook with it it is by the hand full.
Many times they make a blend of peppers to get the flavor they want.

I am an absolute fanatic when if comes to paprika chili powders or what ever you want to call it.
It is also one of the reasons I have 65 pepper plants growing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Okay, let's try this again! I kept trying to quote Salt's post and was getting only part of his post and none of my reply. Weirdness!

Any way, another vote for Leutschauer Paprika. Blows the pant off any store bought paprika I've ever tried, including the imported ones my husband has brought home from the Polish Markets he's hunted down over the years. I grew one plant in a grow bag last year and I'm almost out of paprika. I'm squeezing in two this year--one in ground and one in a bag--and I'll hopefully have enough to to last me year round.

For a whole different flavor profile, I also grow an Italian drying pepper (di Appendere from Seed from Italy) to make Italian paprika. It's my primary seasoning for homemade sausages.
Old March 15, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

PS - Starlight, if you don't have it already want a few seeds of Leutschauer, send me a pm.
Old March 15, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I should have thought of offering seeds too. I have a few I could send to you Star.

If anyone else is interested - PM me. They are saved from the 2015 garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0046.JPG (45.6 KB, 300 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Alma Paprika for a few years and really like it but it takes a long, long, long time to ripen. Leutschauer didn't germinate for me this year, so I've subbed Feherozon as my paprika. I use them sparingly, not like Worth, but my Hungarian friend also throws handfuls of powder in soups, stew, etc. Grow several types if you have room!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

How interesting! I would never have thought to use it in soups and chili's. Have to give that a try. I use it not only on deviled eggs, but egg salad of which I eat a lot and my favorite is on fried potatoes. They just don't taste right without a bunch of paprika on them. I mix it in with any flour mix I am using as a coating for frying foods.

I did have one very embarrassing moment when cooking with it. Still haven't lived that down. Was having guests for dinner. Made fried chicken. Had paprika and lemon power in the flour coating. I love paprika so much, for the first time I put extra all over the chicken as it neared finishing frying.

I put the chicken on the table and all my quests got very quite before asking me what was on the plate. Eight pairs of eyes looked at me like did I really expect them to eat this. I guess I used to much and it literally turned the whole outside of the chicken skin burnt black. A lot of comments on my cooking and a lot of laughter. Chicken was full of flavor, but I scraped lots of chicken skin off of plates when cleaning up.

I appreciate the suggestion and the offers. I checked and I don't have this pepper.

Wow! That's a lot of nice looking peppers salt.

Does it take a lot of peppers to make paprika? I have the room to grow, but what I am thinking about is our months of 100+ temps when the peppers do not produce with the heat and about how many plants I will need to have producing enough peppers to make some batches.

I know I don't even have the seed of Leutschauer yet, but what kind of equipment do I need to get to make paprika and what do I need to get to store it in? I'm excited to try and make some this year, but am nervous too as I have no idea what to do. I will need help for sure when the time comes.

I appreciate the suggestion of Leutschauer. Thanks so much! It sounds good. A little heat, for flavor but not enough to set me on fire.
Old March 16, 2016   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Ok, here's a don't do. Don't put an actual paprika pepper in chili. It will not taste mexican at all, it will just taste paprika.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Ok, here's a don't do. Don't put an actual paprika pepper in chili. It will not taste mexican at all, it will just taste paprika.

- Lisa
Some of the best and almost all prize winning chili recipes have paprika in it.
I use it in chili all of the time.
Mine is onion powder oregano, garlic powder chili arbol, cayenne, guajillo chili, cumin, paprika salt.
But if you just use sweet paprika you will end up with goulash.
Worth
Old March 16, 2016   #12
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Starlight
My Korean wife grows her own very hot peppers that she uses to make Hot Sauce and Kimchee. She also dries them for seasoning. She also grows a variety that she calls wrinkly, based on appearance, for snacking. She eats them by dipping them into the Hot Sauce. If you think you would like to try them PM me with your address and I'll mail you acouple of Peppers with seeds
Old March 16, 2016   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post

- Lisa
Thanks for the warning Lisa. As somebody who has never tried putting paprika in chili before, I'm dumb enough to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
You can use any pepper to make paprika. I prefer thin skinned peppers as they are easier to dry and grind. I have been using a cross from my garden that produces thin skinned, dark red peppers with medium heat. I remove the seeds to keep it from getting too hot, dry them in a dehydrator, and then grind to a flake consistency. This goes into my chili by the tablespoon, along with cumin seeds, oregano, and home grown ancho powder.

TomNJVA
Thanks Tom! Good info to know. I think the next time I go to town, I'll look for a dehydrator. I better get one before they all gone from around here. What kind of grinder do I need? Something simple that will work. Amateur here. If I learn how to do the paprika good, Ancho is what I would like to try too. I gotta take some baby steps here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Some of the best and almost all prize winning chili recipes have paprika in it.
I use it in chili all of the time.
Mine is onion powder oregano, garlic powder chili arbol, cayenne, guajillo chili, cumin, paprika salt.
But if you just use sweet paprika you will end up with goulash.
Worth
Sounds good Worth, but I would have to leave out some of them hot ones. I know they have some of the biggest chili cook-off competitions there in TX. I watch the competitions when they come on the tv.

I see you and Tom both use cumin. Interesting. That is one ingredient I would never have thought to try. Gonna have to check into that.

I love goulash!!!!!! I usually put sugar in mine to make it sweet. Now I know I can use peppers instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Starlight
My Korean wife grows her own very hot peppers that she uses to make Hot Sauce and Kimchee. She also dries them for seasoning. She also grows a variety that she calls wrinkly, based on appearance, for snacking. She eats them by dipping them into the Hot Sauce. If you think you would like to try them PM me with your address and I'll mail you acouple of Peppers with seeds
Is that what they call Kimchee pepper jelly? There is a woman at market who makes it. She also makes a Kimchee pepper salsa. Was some good stuff. Not too hot on the taste buds.
Old March 16, 2016   #14
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

You can use any pepper to make paprika. I prefer thin skinned peppers as they are easier to dry and grind. I have been using a cross from my garden that produces thin skinned, dark red peppers with medium heat. I remove the seeds to keep it from getting too hot, dry them in a dehydrator, and then grind to a flake consistency. This goes into my chili by the tablespoon, along with cumin seeds, oregano, and home grown ancho powder.

TomNJVA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now when I say goulash I mean real goulash not the stuff with hamburger neat and macaroni.
Cumin/comino is a must for any chili it is a spice I use by the boat load.

When you asked what to keep the powders in I use pint mason jars.
By far the best cheapest and most economical way to keep spices.
Worth