Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 8, 2017   #181
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti I think one of my young plants has already got powdery mildew but will send photo as soon as I can...All I can do now is keep on doing my washing and prepare my drums with soil for the transplanting later ....In future I just have to give my plants the cold treatment as it seems nothing else works ...

I wonder how I can do that....does one stop the lights as well?? I will work on something to create 50 degrees in ...but surely it has to be a fridge after all if growers do this I presume they have a cool room specially built...Cheers Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #182
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Photos A

Patti..I am having trouble with my Photos so hope they past ok Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2974.JPG (172.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2975.jpg (263.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2976.JPG (708.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2977.JPG (693.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2978.jpg (299.5 KB, 24 views)
Old February 8, 2017   #183
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Photos B

Here are more Photos...The first two tray photos are of the same tray but different angle..on the right end (2nd plant ) of the tray there is a "Mexico" pottle....both photos show clearly a leaf problem which looks to me like Powdery Mildew...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2979.jpg (220.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2980.JPG (603.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2981.jpg (478.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2982.jpg (350.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2983.jpg (487.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; February 8, 2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old February 8, 2017   #184
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default More Photos C

More Photos....the last photo on this post is the Hospital corner...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2984.jpg (396.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2985.jpg (445.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2986.jpg (634.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2987.jpg (620.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; February 8, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old February 8, 2017   #185
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Photos D

More Photos ..Just a few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2989.jpg (468.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2990.jpg (400.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2991.jpg (513.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2992.jpg (279.4 KB, 22 views)
Old February 8, 2017   #186
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Photos E

More Photos??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2993.jpg (355.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2994.jpg (403.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2995.jpg (634.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2996.jpg (558.4 KB, 22 views)
Old February 8, 2017   #187
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Final Photo??

Patti what a job ...Hope you can see everything Properly .....Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2997.jpg (520.9 KB, 21 views)
Old February 8, 2017   #188
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh thank you for posting the pictures Ron. The Yates products are more for changing the PH of your soil. I would be afraid to use them due to this. Nice to keep in mind if you need to correct your PH again though. The package of MG shown has more nitrogen than the one that you posted in post #164. I do like how MG discloses what minerals are in it though. If you want to use the MG we can work with that, but then we need to modify the use of the Calmag so that your plants do not get burned. The Wuxal Top K is the best that you have shown me so far. I like it. The only concern is the minerals and trace elements are not disclosed. We can work with this too. I would go with this one and if we need to add minerals we can use a MG feed once in awhile and also use the SeaSol from time to time. Yep, buy the Wuxal.

Your plants are looking pretty good. Are these the little ones that were so very pale. If so, they have greened up nicely. You are on the right track. Their stems are looking pretty good for the most part they are nice and thick. They are doing much better. I am not seeing any anemia in these leaves at all.

OK go ahead with your scheduled feeding of Calmag. What rate of application are you using?

Your soil mix looks very good.

Cheers ~ Patti
Old February 9, 2017   #189
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

....Patti...I thought so...The NPK I copied and posted from the Tui Website for MG does not correspond to the product in the shops ????Chances are McGregors must have one good product ...I bought carrot seed of theirs and I got grass ??? for a newcomer trying to grow some carrots I could not understand what was happening...
I will email them and ask about the minerals trace elements...in the product...
I watered last night so on Feb 1st all plants had CalMag...then on Feb 6th allplants apart from the WM Drums had MG ....I ran out of MG and as you know I bought some yesterday to do the drums but i reconsidered about what MG I should actually use......
I had to water them as they were wilting so used water last night....

I was intending to MG them tonight but now I am at a loss of what I should do...They are due MG and if its every seven days rotation Calmag will be due on about the 14th of Feb....

I will get some Wuxal Top K tomorrow....and tonight will just transplant ..I will try a pinch of Sulphate of Potash around the root ball and later the stem of each and fork it in and water in with MG????but I do have an idea one is not supposed to use Sulpher with Tricoderma????
Yes if I wanted a special mix of soil that garden centre may do it for me and at least they are here in the city...
It was so good to get a positive ....Apparantly I could not have taken a photo of two drums...???I am sure they are in one of the photos ...I put two TT's in each drum ...??? Same size so will wait and see what happens ...I am sure they will grow together...and anyway I have too many TT's...I am going to love tasting all the varieties ...Of course TT will be the one to measure everything else against...Regards Ron..
Old February 9, 2017   #190
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I will wait til the morning to transplant my young ones... in case you want me to use Wuxal Top K....I could get it in the morning .....Regards Ron

I have also found a NPK: 14-10-27 plus trace elements Plant Food
http://www.burnets.co.nz/catalogue/p...24/c-184/p-282

Last edited by murihikukid; February 9, 2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old February 9, 2017   #191
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default mycorrhizal

Patti..I found this tonight ....Note available in 100g...upwards>>Ron
PS the Plant Food I found (link above in post 190) is widely available round the world especially on Ebay???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Myco2_2017-02-10_001917.jpg (26.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; February 9, 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old February 9, 2017   #192
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...I am wondering if you have any new instructions For my transplanting especially what you want me to use watering in...........The procedure I usually use is pack a bottom layer of soil in the bucket ...water it...sprinkle Root mate on it and some ground oyster shell...I then remove the young plant from its pottle and sit it on the soil packed down in the bucket then I fill in around the plant with soil...which I then water....

I wonder if you have looked at the Phostrogen all Purpose Plant Food with the NPK ...14-10-27 plus trace elements....

I have not been up to the gardening centre yet ...just in case you want me to buy a packet of it along with the Wuxal Top K....

I cannot get over how people in this country set up web sites....the Environmental Fertililisers have no contact address or anything....It was only luck that i saw a price list link and downloaded it and there were all the contact details in it....So now I am going to ring them about the Myco.....

I will send you the list later ...there may be something in it of interest.... Regards Ron
Old February 9, 2017   #193
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default mycorrhizae

Patti..I have contacted Environmental Fertililisers and spoken to their expert? they have Mycorrhizae and suggest it should be used with another product.....They are emailing me the details..Now I got the impression from them (after mentioning I intended transplanting 25 seedlings today ) that I should wait and they would get the Mycorrhizae down to me quickly so I could apply it??? apparantly there is a huge interest from Tomato Growers all over the country in their Tomato products.....I presume my seedlings will be alright in their pottles for another week...Regards Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Home-garden-price-list-Aug-2015.pdf (213.0 KB, 3 views)
Old February 9, 2017   #194
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron, lots here to talk about. Yes buy both the Wuxal and the Phostrogen. They will both come in handy. I also took a look at your EV Vam. That is a company that seems to be on the right track. I like their mycos, you can try it. It is not too expensive if you buy the 100 grams. They have many organic products that you can keep in mind for further use later if needed. Your method of re-potting sounds just fine. What is Root Mate? Is that rooting hormones? If so, you do not need them. When you water them in use some fertilizer in the mix.
Old February 9, 2017   #195
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron our posts keep crossing one another. I need to get some dinner on the stove, so I will address the rest later.