Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 21, 2015   #16
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I don't recall my George Detsikas looking that color. Yours have a frosted look to it,
if that makes sense.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2015   #17
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Whoa Ted, your spider mites look different than mine, and I know there are several varieties so again, one size does not fit all, as we all know.

Here, the mites are invisible to the naked eye, and when you can see them under a magnifying glass, they are rust colored. The fine webbing they create makes the leaves look spotted almost, and the tomatoes do become frosty-looking. Depending on the variety, the frostiness can look more yellow, so it appears like fine gold dusting on red skins. On pinks and greens, it is more white and/or gray.

When I touch them my fingers feel sandy. I would prefer to be able to actually see the critters so I can attempt to eradicate then with my bare hands, like I used to do with flea beetles. I no longer have flea beetles; wonder if the mites have taken over for good. Almost miss them now.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2015   #18
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

FYI all
My Georges are all 1 lb Plus red big and beautiful. Just sayin makes a great sauce ( with shrimp and garlic).

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2015   #19
tam91
Tomatovillian™

That sounds delicious!
Old August 22, 2015   #20
creister
Tomatovillian™

That is the result of the spider mites, especially this late in the summer. I've had that condition on various varieties in the hottest dry part of summer on plants with spider mites. They may taste just fine or not.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote