Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 4, 2015   #1
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Mustard as a Bio-fumigant cover crop

I was wondering if anyone here has tried mustard as a bio-fumigant cover crop?

I am trying Caliente mustard in small garden that has had tomatoes in it 5 straight years. I don't have the option yet of crop rotation, so i am hoping that mustard can knock down the population of the bad guys( bacteria, fungi, insects, nematodes, and weeds.) for me. I also need more organic material in this heavy clay soil and the mustard should help as a green manure.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ant+cover+crop

Mark

FYI The seed is pricey, i have a few plants potted up for seed collection as you are suppose to plow the crop before it sets seed.

Last edited by MendozaMark; September 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification of term "bad guys"
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2015   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I have used nemoticidal marigolds as a covercrop with good success, which is what peaked my interest in the mustard.

I read lots about it and wanted to do it, but I went with beneficial nematodes instead. I had root maggots really bad in my garden once. And, yes...the nematodes worked as did the marigolds.

I've asked my teachers and many others about it, but I get little if any info. The most and best info I've received is right from the seller of the covercrop. If you do this, I hope you keep a journal or keep us updated here. I think this could be a very cheap/clever technique to use.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2015   #3
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

I've asked my teachers and many others about it, but I get little if any info. The most and best info I've received is right from the seller of the covercrop. If you do this, I hope you keep a journal or keep us updated here. I think this could be a very cheap/clever technique to use.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lori, I will certainly report back on my observations, although it will be purely anecdotal. I am changing too many variables this year, different varieties, mulch and growing techniques.

I was looking via google for research, and the University of Saskatchewan may be have some research on it. Apparently they like their mustard enough in Saskatchewan to have a festival for it.

Cheers Mark
Old September 4, 2015   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Here is what my seed catalog says
" Mustards have been receiving a a lot of attention lately for their biofumigation and alleopathic effects in soil. mowing or chopping them down just prior to full bloom and tilling in or plowing into the soil can reduce the amount of harmful nematodes and disease pathogens in the soil profile. While this is not a "silver bullet" to cure all disease problems, it is well worth using in a cover crop rotation. Wait 14-16 days after incorporation before planting andy following crop."
Caliente 199 Mustard produces excellent biomass with the highest "biofumigation" potential available. Contains ISCI99, with the highest glucosinolate level of any commercial variety.
Excellent disease, weed, and nematode supression in many crops. Allow 6-7 weeks from planting to chopping into soil. Seeding 9-11 #/acre. 4-6 oz per 1,000 sq ft.
1/2 lb is 4.50 1 # 7.35 and 5#'s is 32.50
Berlin seed 1.877.464.0892
Old October 6, 2015   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

In the past few years I have gradually moved towards naturalizing mustards in our fields, so that our winter cover crop is almost completely made up of mustard.

Part of the reason is biofumigation.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2015   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I have planted mustard last year and this year as cover crop- seeds from ethnic grocery store, couple of $ for a lb. It works for cooler climates and it was hard for me to find something that I can plant late summer and get something growing well before village tills things in Nov 1. Due to this tilling program I can not plant anything else that will germinate and grow. Am not sure if it helped with anything or not as we do not have nematodes in the soil.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2015   #7
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick update, I cut down and tilled my caliente mustard 2 days ago. I did about 3/4 of the garden so i will have a control area. It did produce a decent biomass which my hard clay garden desperately needs as well. I have a couple of pics that i will upload when i get more time. weather has been crazy here with some very low temps coming. Rushing to make some low tunnels for my tomatoes already in the raised gardens. Between Earthquakes, aphids, Zonda winds and temps all over the map, my days are full of reactionary farming.

Cheers from Mendoza !