Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2012   #46
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I have checked and found that my DotPots won't be here until next Monday, 3/19. I think that some of my tomato seedlings will give up on living by then! So out with the bleach and scrub brush again.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #47
janezee
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'm chipping away at potting up my tomatoes. Wave 1 for pots. As soon as I finish, I need to finalize my list of what I really am growing this year. It was so nice out today, almost 50º, that I played in the dirt and tried to make some more room for tomatoes this afternoon. I was going to finish potting up tonight, but I can't feel my fingers, they're just tingling.
Many of mine have their first leaves, and it looks like a few, including Yamal, Sleeping Lady, Kimberley, and yes, Pink Honey, are trying to shoot up their seconds. Woohoo!

Taryn, how you doin'?

Jeannine, did you do all your tomatoes at once?
Old March 24, 2012   #48
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

first peas have just broken through, loads of verieties, brussel sprouts have just popped up, leelkand onions are coming on well,Yacon is growing, garlic is very good, broadie beans (favas) have just broken through, rhubarb is gowing well. Eggplant, chillies , peppers and a rare brassica are ready for potting on and parsnips are showing green in the cardboard toilet tissue tubes

XX Jeannine
Janezee I diidn't do the new dwarfs all at once but some germination is poor.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #49
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
first peas have just broken through, loads of verieties, brussel sprouts have just popped up, leelkand onions are coming on well,Yacon is growing, garlic is very good, broadie beans (favas) have just broken through, rhubarb is gowing well. Eggplant, chillies , peppers and a rare brassica are ready for potting on and parsnips are showing green in the cardboard toilet tissue tubes

XX Jeannine
Janezee I diidn't do the new dwarfs all at once but some germination is poor.
Jeannine, this is great!

My peas are also popping up (in little pots), and I managed to plant multiplier onions and onion sets today, set out kohlrabi and some lettuces! My legs are no longer holding, so tired, so I am back to rest, but I am so happy, it was a very nice day today!

Ordered 20 cu. yards of compost, which was delivered this morning, still very warm - great stuff, very light and smells great. It is so much easier to spread around, unlike the heavy [when wet] horse manure!

Cucumbers and squashes are sprouting.

Tomatoes need to be potted up, but I really need to rest!

I wish I was able to plant potatoes today...

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2012   #50
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Was it as sunny and lovely there as here today, Tania? It made it to 55º here. I've been out working for the last 2 days, and couldn't do anything today but take a nap. So frustrating to be tired when there's so much we want to do, eh?
I did get my seedlings out into the shade today. Only 5º cooler out there than in my house.
Old March 24, 2012   #51
Tania
Tomatovillian™

JaneZee,

It was very sunny today, and almost 60F! Lovely indeed
Good luck with hardening off!

My larger (4" pots) tomato seedlings have been outside in a cold frame, day and night, since Mar 9, with an electric heater to protect from the frosty nights we had. As I had difficulties moving around, my husband put the heater there, so he did not need to bring them in and out every day. It worked! The lowest temp was 40F at night, and they did not seem to mind... but did not grow too much. I hope the warmer days with help them to get going.

My health has not been getting any better lately, the weakness in my hands and legs is still there, so these little 'helpers' are really important, I would not be able to do it without them and my hubby and my son who also helps quite a bit.

I hope I will be able to get up tomorrow and do a bit more things in the garden - keeping my fingers crossed! It will be another nice day tomorrow...

The forecasts are showing colder than usual spring here in PNW, so plantings will be delayed this year, but something tells me we will have a great summer and bountiful harvest in 2012!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #52
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tania, I am so sorry to hear you are still struggling, it is awful when you want so much to do things.

We have spent the last two days at the community gardens, 2 lovely days and another forecast for tomorrow then back to the dreaded rain.It is still very soggy underfoot but at least not ankle deep like last week. John has been building more raised beds as we have just got tthe plot next door so he is extending into that and making it the same as the first two. My disabled beds are doing super though as they are high and dry.

I am the cheer leader and supervisor as I can't help John but I layed on two days of good picnics and it was lovely to be out there.

I have done zero lettuce, thank you for the rminder.

We are putting fruit bushes into the new area so am hoping the raspberries will be Ok in the winter as I know they don't like wet feet.

Take care , soon you will have the sun on your face every day for a good while.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #53
DawgDrvr
Tomatovillian™

Like Clockwork. On my birthday ,Feb 20th I start my Tom's, Pepper's, Tillos and my 'Atlantic Giant' Pumpkins .In the spare bedroom (South Window)

April 1st, I start my Summer and Winter Squash . Outside I start Potato's in trashcans ,Onion, Lettuce (6 types),Oregon Sugar Pod Peas, Radish and Carrots .

Tom's this year
Stupice
Early Girl
Cherokee Purple
Sweet million
San Marzano
Japanese Black Trifele
Pineapple
DawgDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #54
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I haven't caught up on this and many other threads for a while because I have been busy with work.

Here is my tomato grow list. I am growing many more varieties than I can plant in my own community garden plots. I have several people in my community garden that have agreed to grow out tomatoes for me with the promise to let me have a few from each plant so I can save seeds!

Abe Lincoln
Amana Orange
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Aunt Ruby's German Green - a favorite of mine
Azoychka
Belgium Pounder -PNW Biggie Challenge
Big Zac - PNW Biggee Challenge
Black Cherry - a must have in my garden
Black From Tula
Bloody Butcher
Boloto
Brad's Black Heart
Brown Berry Cherry
Charlie's Green
Cuostralee
Delicious - PNW Biggie Challenge
Donskoi - A favorite of mine
Gary O'Sena
Giant Belgium - PNW Biggie Challenge
Gigantesque - PNW Biggie Challenge
Golden Treasure
Green Giant
Japanese Trifele
Lime Green Salad
Madara
Malkahitovaya Shkatulka
Moravsky Div
Mountain Princess
Orange Russian
Paul Robeson - Another favorite of mine
Pink Honey - Biggie Challenge
Polish Linguisa - a must have for big paste tomatoes
Principe Borghese
Rutger's
Sandulo Moldovan
Siberian Red
Sibirskiy Skorospelyi - 8 planted but none have germinated. Maybe they just take longer?
Skorospalka
Sophie's Choice
Spudakee
Stupice
Sun Sugar
Thessaloniki - and yet another favorite
Yamal

Whew!

Today was a beautiful day so I spent 5 hours weeding and getting my plots ready for planting. I planted my Walla Walla and Red Onions today, too.

Started my kales, chards, mustard greens, pepper cress a week or so ago in flats.

I have garlic in the ground from the fall. Seeded my radishes a couple of weeks ago. I will be planting my other root veggies soon.

Still eating lettuce out of my garden that I planted and kept covered.

Pepper starts are coming along:

Bulgarian Carrot
Chervena Chuska
Chinese Five Color
Early Jalapeno

I will also be planting peas this weekend, beans and squash later. And probably more stuff!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #55
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Ugh, I'm tired already! Tamara, you wear me out!

Peas are up, along with the lettuce. Need to plant more. All I can manage
right now is potting things up, and seeding tomatoes, peppers, and some
flowers. Basil, dill, squash, beans, and cucumbers are soon to follow.

How soon is the question.

I am getting closer to the final list. But I keep flipping those envelopes!

j
Old April 8, 2012   #56
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while. Wow Tamara, such a great list!

It has been great weather this weekend, in the high sixties! My hoophouse was eighty degrees today. I'd put the tomatoes out, but it gets really cold at night.

We are going to Hawaii this friday for nine days, I am really excited. Unfortunately, this is the busiest time for my garden work, so it will be really tough to get everything situated for my "plant babysitter". I hope everything works out.

Here are some pictures of my plants, taken just a couple minutes ago. I kind of cheated, I guess, I took pictures of my three very best plants. These guys are Juane Flamme (sp?), Black Cherry, and Stupice.

And this is my seedling for one of my biggies. I know, really young, huh?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #57
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Jane, believe me I was a bit warn out after 5 hours in my garden plot digging the weeds out and turning the soil!

Taryn, thanks! Nice plants! You are way ahead of me due to the demise of my first batch of seeds. I am about 3 weeks behind but I have found that when I plant out my smaller, younger seedlings right next to ones that are a few weeks older, the younger ones catch up a bit.

I played hookie today and went to the coast for a nice long walk on the beach and some reading from my lawn chair in the sand. No regrets at all but you can bet your booties I will be up at my plots tomorrow morning doing some final prep work and planting my cabbage starts!

Since I got started on the Biggie Challenge at the tail end of the game, I think I only have one variety that has sprouted so far. Not to worry. I don't care so much about winning as I care about hearing about the fantastic results everyone is getting!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote