Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 4, 2016   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Bill it sounds horrible and even if I am against poison and think it is inhuman doesn't mean I wouldn't do it as a last resort.
It just needs to be kept away from friendly critters.
But as you said they wise up, squirrels and rats are smart.

Worth
Rats don't seem nearly as smart. Usually when they show up I can rid myself and my garden of them in less than a week. I would really hate it if they were as slick as squirrels. They are even dumb enough to be occasionally caught by my little dachshunds who futilely try to catch squirrels every day with no luck. I use a dog safe bait station for rat poison and it works really well.

Was going to try to dispatch a few this morning but I guess a front is moving in even though it was only down to the mid 60s last night the wind was blowing like crazy and the tree rats were no where to be seen. Maybe it will actually be cooler tomorrow

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #17
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Bill:

That does sound horrible!

Do the squirrels steal the bait from the traps? Or, do they just not go in the traps again no matter what you bait the trap with?

Can you legally shoot low powered air guns?
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2016   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Bill:

That does sound horrible!

Do the squirrels steal the bait from the traps? Or, do they just not go in the traps again no matter what you bait the trap with?

Can you legally shoot low powered air guns?
They won't go into the traps at all anymore. The worst thing I saw was one morning right about sunup a few years back I looked out across my garden and saw two squirrels each sitting atop two of my traps and gnawing the broccoli heads next to the traps. I was trying to get them to stop eating my broccoli that spring not aid them in their endeavors.

Bill
Old November 6, 2016   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

My first year with quite a lot of tomatoes outdoors, some got very little attention outside the main garden area and after awhile I noticed a squirrel-sized hole under a tree root near by.... and yes it took awhile to figure out that fruit were disappearing quietly one by one ("Why are they so late to ripen any?").
Also the first year I had really a lot of green fruit not worth my picking (started too late) and ended up trashing a heap of tomatoes in the special tomato plant compost pile... which developed an interesting burrow shaped hole in the top. So I poured water down it, deliberately, while stacking up the next layer. Now from my window I can see two burrow holes on either end of one side...Looking like a real work of engineering. And ravens or crows have been perching up above hooting and hollering like they are very displeased.

Been worrying that it could be a rat, mostly because our little red squirrels are normally so noisy, especially if they see food, they can't resist squawking about it. On the other hand, squirrels and indignant birds are proper hand in hand. They detest the tree rat, seriously.
I went and googled the red squirrel and they do burrow in the ground for winter shelter (and cache of food). Maybe they're only quiet when they're hiding stuff...
I guess I'll find out when the snow falls.... squirrels don't drag their tails in the snow.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2016   #20
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
All I can see is a constant supply of meat.

Worth
That made me LOL. Around here people are always going squirrel hunting.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
That made me LOL. Around here people are always going squirrel hunting.
I dont know what happened to our culture I think the old White House cook book has recipes for these critters.
speaking of which about the time I brought up eating them again here they diapered.
Every time I bring up eating squirrels here they run off.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #22
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

This is what I do with squirrel.

Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #23
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

DROOL
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #24
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

My bait was disappearing from my squirrel Have a Heart traps, and I thought chipmunks were sneaking in.

Last week I was watching when a brown thrasher swooped down, looked around, then hopped into the trap, pecked up the peanut butter, hopped out, and escaped the scene of the crime. These animals work together.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ah, Hellmans, now you got me wishing we had BIGGER squirrels.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2016   #26
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
My bait was disappearing from my squirrel Have a Heart traps, and I thought chipmunks were sneaking in.

Last week I was watching when a brown thrasher swooped down, looked around, then hopped into the trap, pecked up the peanut butter, hopped out, and escaped the scene of the crime. These animals work together.
I use unsalted peanuts in the shell for bait in Have-A-Hearts for squirrels. Take about six inches of twistable wire and wrap the peanut with one end twisted around it. Hang it down from the ceiling in the back of the trap(after the tray). The critter has to move about to get the peanut out of the wire. All the stepping about guarantees you a catch every time.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2016   #27
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

That's a good idea.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like Hellmanns remedy.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2016   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been slowly but surely thinning the population of squirrels out; but I really can't wait any longer to start planting my broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts for fall and winter since it is nearly time to start my spring seed planting of these crops. The nights are now in the 40s and days mostly in the 70s with a few 80s. It may even be too late to beat winter freezes but I am starting to plant today even though no rain has come for months. I have spent hours and hours every day lately trying to get the moisture level up high enough in the beds I will be planting in so the plants can thrive. I just hope I thinned out the tree rats enough and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill
Old November 12, 2016   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Obviously I haven't thinned the tree rats enough. I set out 24 Brussels sprouts day before yesterday and by late afternoon yesterday had already lost three to the varmints. I also set out 6 cauliflower plants and had lost one of them also. I want to set out my broccoli today but wonder if any will be left alone long enough to ever produce.

Bill