Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 9, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default First Pinocchio Orange Ready

The Pinocchio Orange micro tomato was started Dec 14th and it's ready for the first picking.

I will taste a few and use the rest of them for seed saving. One thing I have learned about micros is that I need to stake them when they're very young as fruit set will make them lean way over. Once they're bent over there's no staking them back up. But that would be great for a hanging basket if that were the intent and that just might be what I'll do this summer. Hang them on the porch!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2021   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Looking great Godawgs! I'm growing them too, but started mine later than you. Thanks for the tip about staking them. I bet chopsticks would be just the thing for that!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Pinocchio Orange looks beautiful. Ihave never grown micro tomatoes. I want to ask: How big is the cup in which you have Pincocchio? Can other tomatoes from the micro project be grown similarly? Can they be grown in an apartment outside the window?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #4
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Yes, they can. I take a 1 litre pot....
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the information.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Most of these are growing in yogurt containers with holes drilled around the bottom edge. The container says it holds 907g of yogurt. If it helps, the container is 13.3 cm (5.25") tall, 11.4 cm (4.5") wide at the top and 9.5 cm (3.75") wide at the bottom.

Most of the eight varieties I have grown do fine in these cups but when they mature they need watering every other day. Ideally a larger pot would help that but I have space limitations. The plant description for Chibikko on the Bunny Hop seed site suggested using a large pot and I did. Had to use a larger pot on Groovey Tunes too.

You should be able to grow them outside a window.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote