Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 6, 2014   #16
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Nice work!What kind was it?Seedless?And the main question... how did it taste?Are seeds availiable?We go thru at least four a week,two for watermelon juice,and two for eating.

Last edited by kurt; October 6, 2014 at 08:56 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014   #17
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!! If I could ever grow one that large, it would keep my granddaughter happy for days. Can't wait to hear all the details.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2014   #18
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Wow! well done, Barbee. My largest was about 30 pounds this summer, but that was large enough. I can't even begin to imagine growing one this size. Congratulations! BTW, how much larger was it than the previous melon?
The old record was 270.5. The man that had the record also broke the state record this weekend and had 272.5. I weighed after him and broke the new record. Quite an exciting time
Old October 6, 2014   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
That is one impressive watermelon. What is the secret to growing a watermelon that big?

How long does it take to eat a 300 lb. watermelon? And, how do you fit it in the refrigerator?
First, we grow a variety called Carolina Cross. It seems to be the best variety for size out there.

Second, we grow only the biggest and best of the best. We save seeds out of the biggest melons and grow those. Always trying to push the genetics bigger and bigger. For instance, this watermelon will be labeled as 296.5 Barber. That means the melon was 296.5 lbs, and the grower is Barber (me).

Third, this is called extreme gardening for a reason LoL. Everything we do is extreme. Soil is completely dialed in on all nutrients, not just the NPK. I do a soil test in the fall and spring, plus a tissue test after the melon is set to make sure my soil is perfectly tuned in to what the melon needs to grow as big as it can. Each plant here is 300 sq ft and 1 melon is grown on each plant. All babies are picked off daily.Average amount of babies is 20-40 daily per plant. Plant is kept at 300 sq ft daily by pruning. No weeds are allowed anywhere near the plants. I pick every weed out of the growing area and I hoe around the raised bed weekly. I spray pesticides and fungicides weekly. I spend an average of 2-3 hours a day doing plant maintenance on 4 plants.

Sorry to say I don't eat them. These are grown for size only and the melon will grow long after it's ripe. By the time I am ready to weigh it, it is usually too overripe to taste good. This melon was 92 days old and most of them are ripe at about day 60. You can imagine how overripe the heart would be at that point.
Old October 6, 2014   #20
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Nice work!What kind was it?Seedless?And the main question... how did it taste?Are seeds availiable?We go thru at least four a week,two for watermelon juice,and two for eating.
This was a Carolina Cross and not seedless. Giant pumpkin clubs sell seeds that growers have donated and raise money to help pay for prize money at their weigh offs. Growers will also trade seeds with each other and swap and what have you. There are a few websites that do sell seeds such as P&P seeds, Hollands Land of Giants, World Class Gardening and probably more that I am not aware of. Most growers are happy to send seeds to anyone for a self addressed stamped bubble. The only time a grower might not be able to honor a seed request would be if a fruit had a low seed count. It is rare with watermelons, but it does happen sometimes. I'm sure if the seed count was low they might have other seeds they could send you from a different watermelon.
Old October 6, 2014   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Congrats Barbee. That one is both huge and beautiful.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #22
loudog
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations!!! Your hard work was well rewarded. When you prune to you bury the cut end into the ground? Louie
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #23
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

What a beautiful watermelon basket that would make. Congrats

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How did you guys move the thing?
In a big nest in the back of a pickup?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #25
MissS
Tomatovillian™

WOW Barbee, what a gorgeous melon you grew. I love seeing the giant fruits and vegetables and hearing about how people have done it. I go to our local weigh-offs just for the fun of it all.

I am so thrilled that your efforts paid off so very well for you.

Congrats!
Old October 8, 2014   #26
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog View Post
Congratulations!!! Your hard work was well rewarded. When you prune to you bury the cut end into the ground? Louie
No, I just go along with scissors and cut it along the edges of the bed. The more you prune, the faster the other growth explodes LoL
Old October 8, 2014   #27
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How did you guys move the thing?
In a big nest in the back of a pickup?

Worth
Lifted it with a ring and straps with the bobcat and set on a pallet into the truck bed. After it was in the truck, we packed bales of straw around it to keep it from moving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucille.jpg (261.1 KB, 81 views)
Old October 8, 2014   #28
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
WOW Barbee, what a gorgeous melon you grew. I love seeing the giant fruits and vegetables and hearing about how people have done it. I go to our local weigh-offs just for the fun of it all.

I am so thrilled that your efforts paid off so very well for you.

Congrats!
Patti I am not sure how close you live to Stillwater Mn, but rumors are flying that there will be 4 HUGE pumpkins there this weekend
Old October 8, 2014   #29
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Amazing, Barbee! Congratulations

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2014   #30
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Barbee, that is one serious watermelon.

Thanks also for the extreme gardening info, it resonates.

So are we going to see a new avatar from you?

;-)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote