Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 10, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Ildi Leaves ?

I was going the my cell tray looking at the leaves when I noticed these two leaves that don't look the same. Both cells are planted with Ildi seeds from the same pack. I'm sure there can be a lot possibilities as to why they look different? I thought I would share the pics with you. Maybe it's just my eyes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0091.JPG (50.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0092.JPG (43.6 KB, 129 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #2
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Did the seeds come from me, Salt?? ( plastic bag with black marker writing).I think sometimes the first few leaves are wonky and the show their true nature soon.. It doesn't really look potato leafed to me, just not as toothed as the other. How would you describe the difference?
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lindy, sorry it has taken so long to get back. My wife had a LOOOONG day at work and she needed to tell me every possible detail about ...lol

The seed pack is in black marker writing and says, "Blush 8 seeds 2012"

It doesn't look potato leaf. I'll try to get some better pictures. Right behind the picture of Ildi in cells 67 and 68 are Rebel Yell PL. Hopefully it shows up. I'll take pics in a few minutes.
Old February 11, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Took me a while, I went ahead and transferred them into their solo cups a day-or-so early but I'll backfill as they grow. It's the 5th picture that throws me off. I'm not sure what that shape is? The last picture is to show that I have more Ildi plants just in case - Oh, and the PL variety you see in the other cells are Rebel Yell in the 3rd and last pic.

Oops, that is Pinky Blast in the lower right hand corner in the last pic. Tiny real leaves so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0094.JPG (37.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0095.JPG (34.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0096.JPG (53.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0097.JPG (43.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0098.JPG (38.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0099.JPG (51.1 KB, 110 views)
Old February 11, 2015   #5
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Blush or Ildi? If they are blush plants, it may have a tendency towards wispy folliage, sometimes strange leaves. The packet isn't my seed, so can't tell you about the plant It came from. The folliage looks in the realm of normal to me!! ( slightly jealous you get to plant seeds alreasy, I have to wait until march!)
Old February 11, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lindy, I was looking at the the wrong pack of seeds. It is Ildi planted. The seed pack says Ildi Yellow Cherry 2014. It was written with a fine tip marker or pen.
Old February 11, 2015   #7
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Okay, that's mine. The Ildi I grew last year were a beautiful, extraordinarily hardy plant. The plant had paler more yellow foliage than others, lighter stems, and a bushier habit in the young stages. It was an excellent container plant last year (just 5 gallons) but I'm trying it in-ground this year. I am looking at a few photos from last year and don't notice extreme abnormalities in leaf shape. I did not bag the leaves, so I cannot guarantee no cross-pollination occurred, but I took later seeds after the pollinators in my area had mostly gone for the season. (Spring-summer is heavy with bees!).

I would give it a bit more time before trying to figure out what's going on. But at least you now know where they came from, and mabye if you get something weird I can help you solve the mystery!
Old February 11, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

lol, now I'm sort of hoping it's something weird.
Old February 12, 2015   #9
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I see leaves like that on seedlings when the growing tip was damaged on a very young plant. Sometimes they form new shoots (before I'm impatient and toss them). It looks like that may have happened to the plant on the right in your first photo--is that what you're asking about?
Old February 12, 2015   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The 5th picture (in post #4) doesn't look like the plant has a central leader. How is overall germination going on all of those you've started? I'm hoping it is fairly good. I re-bagged many packs of seed this year in the MMMM swap, so there are very, very many packs with but 5 seeds to them.

(one pack in the swap had 4 1/2 seeds, but I'm not going there)

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tormato, well over 95%.
Old February 12, 2015   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Salt - How long did it take for your Ildi's to germinate? I bought mine and it said 15 days, but it's been close to 20 days now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They did take two weeks. I'm thinking 17 days. I was going to take notes on each variety, but the seeds starting coming up so quickly. (Not an excuse) I was excited to see them breaking ground. 62 varieties.

There were only a few that took longer to come up. Ildi, Black Cherry, Yellow Riesentraube, Blush, Riesentraube, and Coyote all took 2+ weeks. Once they did come up, (Black Cherry, Blush, Coyote) are slower growing so far. Ildi is growing fast. YR and Riesentraube are growing VERY fast.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 12, 2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: More Detail
Old February 20, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here is an update showing how they are progressing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0014.JPG (55.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0015.JPG (68.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0016.JPG (47.0 KB, 29 views)
Old February 20, 2015   #15
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

okay, what I'm seeing there is that the first set of leaves were wonky, but the new ones growing look just like the others. What do you think about it now?

As I was doing some research on Ildi for you, I found that it USED to be sold as a Hybrid! But now several sources list it as an OP. I purchased my seed from a seed supplier in Canada that listed it as OP, but who knows how stable it is!