Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 16, 2016   #16
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
A lawyer I know sent me an email wanting me to come see her here in town.
I am not in any trouble or anything she just wants me to stop by and say howdy to see how I am doing.
She takes care of some of my investments.
Maybe I could talk to her about it as she told me that she would help me with anything free of charge.
Worth
Sounds like she might be interested in some of your spices

Joking aside, I have been working on a bbq recipe from the garden (far from perfect) in con★★★★★★★★ with a couple of other guys. We are not serious yet, but just piddling around. We came up with the name Cool Breeze for rubs and sauces; but low & behold, someone has since taken that name.

I'm not sure about how to patent a brand, but that would be one question to ask outside of dinner plans.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I highly doubt that lady wants a thing to do with me although she isn't married but divorced.
Has two suns was raised in West Texas is of German heritage is taller than me and is skinny.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 16, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #18
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

They are actually Red Chili Peppers. They are a Cayenne type of pepper is that is between 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville unit of heat...meaning pretty hot. When you ground it up it's even hotter!! Please don't buy any...I have TONS of them if U want some. You can crush them or just sprinkle them on pasta, pizza or even garlic bread.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #19
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't know a thing about web sites or how to do anything but make stuff.
I got ya covered on an Ecommerce website Worth... Make it and they will come!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #20
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Worth on shark tank with his spice mix.
Need to see that........
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like Shark Tank it is the only one of those type shows I watch.
Oddly enough the people that I have met that like the other shows like they have on True TV cant stand it nor can they understand it.
Go figure.

Worth
Old June 17, 2016   #22
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Got a big push I have had for years they are a pain to pick.

Some of these pepper flakes are a blend but all of the ones I have seen our had are way hot.
Plus I like to make my own so I'm not buying a bunch of seeds.'
I have made the stuff with and without seeds and to me the seedless type is far better.
There was web site I found a long time ago that sold both and for the life of me I cant find it anymore.
Yeah,that's the biggest problem is picking the tiny things. I cut the cluster of "berries" off with scissors but it still is a big job.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We go through quarts of this stuff. I'm out right now. I think I'll try mixing a bunch of super hots this summer for a crushed super hot.
Old June 17, 2016   #24
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Sign me up Worth, I'll take 2 bottles !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #25
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I'm not sure about how to patent a brand, but that would be one question to ask outside of dinner plans.
The PTO Office in Arlington Va...

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-gett...ademark-basics

I filed one years ago and walked it into the office. It's a very cool place.

You can start your research by searching for your desired name / product.

http://patft.uspto.gov/

Once you have a few you like make sure you pick up a short domain name for your website. I use Name Silo now for my domain registrations since godaddy turned in to a big pile of well... Domains are cheap.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #26
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Better

Quote:
What can I grow, dry, and crush that will be better?
The realization that you can do this yourself may be the biggest part . . . which you've already accomplished. "Better" is defined by your taste buds and whimsy. I've done some blends by vintage, by colour, by species, and by heat level (which is practical).

Guajillo is the savouriest chile I've encountered: it's a rich flavour base of dark-cherry fruit and pipe tobacco. Dried pods I've bought have been from Peru—sun-dried, apparently—with viable seeds. For barbecue and steak and enchilada sauces, these can be your huckleberry. Add whatever else for the heat component; how about a brown Chinense in a base of guajillo?

How about Ají Amarillo and golden Cayenne for a yellow blend, begging for chicken and fish?

For generic heat, any old annuum will do.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
The realization that you can do this yourself may be the biggest part . . . which you've already accomplished. "Better" is defined by your taste buds and whimsy. I've done some blends by vintage, by colour, by species, and by heat level (which is practical).

Guajillo is the savouriest chile I've encountered: it's a rich flavour base of dark-cherry fruit and pipe tobacco. Dried pods I've bought have been from Peru—sun-dried, apparently—with viable seeds. For barbecue and steak and enchilada sauces, these can be your huckleberry. Add whatever else for the heat component; how about a brown Chinense in a base of guajillo?

How about Ají Amarillo and golden Cayenne for a yellow blend, begging for chicken and fish?

For generic heat, any old annuum will do.
Guajillo is my go to pepper for many things I cant imagine life without it.I buy the whole dried pods by the bag full and remove the seeds before I grind them up.

I also buy cumin seeds in big bags from a middle eastern market and grind them up.
It is then stored in canning jars in the freezer.

Last edited by Worth1; June 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old June 17, 2016   #28
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
The PTO Office in Arlington Va...

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-gett...ademark-basics

I filed one years ago and walked it into the office. It's a very cool place.

You can start your research by searching for your desired name / product.

http://patft.uspto.gov/

Once you have a few you like make sure you pick up a short domain name for your website. I use Name Silo now for my domain registrations since godaddy turned in to a big pile of well... Domains are cheap.
Thanks Mr. Salvage, nice to know it can be done without a bunch of red tape.

How old is Too Old?

Even with the best preservation methods, food seasonings like herbs and spices eventually lose their flavor. When should you throw them out? Let's begin with some time limits.
The following are general shelf life guidelines when the herb or spice is under ideal conditions:
  • Ground Spices - 1.5 years
  • Whole Spices - 2 years
  • Green, Leafy Herbs - 1-3 years
  • Whole Seeds - 3-4 years
  • Herb or Spice Extracts - 3 years
  • Seasoning Blends - 1.5 years
  • Flavoring Oils - Indefinite
Look - Take a good look at the contents of the jar. Is it faded? Do the contents cake together? Are there suspicious signs of insect inhabitants? If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, throw it out.
Sniff - Open the jar and sniff. Can you smell the herb or spice? If there is no odor, then it is probably devoid of essential oils and should be discarded. If the scent is faint, but noticeable, it may still be good.
Taste - Finally, taste a small portion of the contents. If the distinctive flavor is still there, keep it. But if it tastes no better than cardboard or grass clippings, throw it out.
Finally, do not shake spices out of the bottle directly into something you're cooking — that's the quickest way possible to introduce steam into your spices and you'll end up with a large, hard clump the next time you use them.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #29
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I make all my own spice rubs and mustards and sauces.
And some other things like bug repellants.

I sell every holiday throughout the year but only for charity. All through work.

I've researched the NY state requirements and spice blends are far different than liquid products.

A million 'Artisan' products these days especially in NYC. Entire storefronts full of it.

The edge in small batch production is trust and numbered batch and 'date' ground.
I write it by hand on the label. A space provided in the label design.
For the 4th of July they all know my bbq rub is just a few days old. I make an 'Austin', a 'Memphis', a 'Carolina' and a 'NY'. Never salt added and ingredients are large on the label. In proper order of ingredients.

I make a thousand for every hundred spent, then use a portion for new whole seed stock. And containers. I don't pay myself at all for time as i enjoy it and make it for us anyway.

All started when a co-worker was injured and the union brotherhood thing to do is give the family a hundred bucks...i turned my hundred into a thousand. Those that shy away from the 'proper' thing to do being cheap jerks could donate by purchasing one of my products.

I also make a killer fresh pickle spice that is not that gross grocery mix with old dry cinnamon. I made that mix last year around Halloween and made fresh pickles for a tasting. Made another thousand just for the spice mix.

I now take 2 hundred from every thousand made and put it back into production. Paid for my upright freezer to store whole bulk spice. And paid for my counter inset commercial blender. More hobby and obsessive interest than money maker but it can be a profitable side business.

I just enjoy the chemistry in making things and recipes as i know you do as well.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #30
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Oakley-where can I buy this stuff?