Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 9, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default I am Building My Compost Bin

So I started working on my Compost bin. It is going to be 10 feet long by six feet wide. The 1st 2 days all I did was cut my lumber. I now have my First layer up with the 1st set of uprights in. My 4 year old Bosh 18V Cordless Drill is starting not to hold a charge. We also have had rain off and on for the last 2 days.

Now here are some questions? How far do Y'all think spacing between boards going up? I was thinking using a 2x4 on the 4 side. and going up.

On the front? I was thinking Wire? Or maybe make a Gate that I can open and shut so I can get in to throw the stuff in. I Plan on using the Cold Method of Compost.

I have access to a lot of old semi decomposed pine straw down in the woods. I worry about bringing in any bugs or stuff. It is also full of Gum Balls? Can I put those in there?

Thanks in advance Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I just line up pallets in a semi circle and hold them up with rebar. It takes an hour and works fine! It probably looks more redneck than you want, though.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #3
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I just line up pallets in a semi circle and hold them up with rebar. It takes an hour and works fine! It probably looks more redneck than you want, though.

Yes I thought about that. I have the free wood though, Beale.
Old April 9, 2015   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

With a couple of cleats running down two opposite corners, you can create a channel to slide one side down, perhaps in two stacked sections to make them lighter to handle. That way you build in easy access for turning or emptying the pile, without spending much of anything.
Old April 9, 2015   #5
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
With a couple of cleats running down two opposite corners, you can create a channel to slide one side down, perhaps in two stacked sections to make them lighter to handle. That way you build in easy access for turning or emptying the pile, without spending much of anything.

What is a "cleat" I am not sure I follow on that. I am still learning, Beale.
Old April 9, 2015   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

A cleat is just a length of wood, say a 2X2, attached, in this case, vertically down the corner. If you place two cleats down each corner, say about an inch apart, a channel, or groove would be created between them. Fit a panel between the corners so that it slides down in the channel and is held in place by the cleats. Then, to remove that panel, you need only slide it up and lift it off. Like I said, dividing the panel into two or more sections that would stack on top of each other would make each section smaller, lighter, thus easier to remove. I hope I've cleared it up a it, but let me know if it's still confusing, and I'll try again.
Old April 10, 2015   #7
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

No Now I understand. I will use this method. I have a lot of left over cut off piece. Thank You very much, I am learning, slowly, Beale.
Old April 12, 2015   #8
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

I finished My Compost Bin today. Man what a trip! Lot of work but I think it will work! 4 slats high with a 4 inch space between. On the front I put 2 slats with a 2 inch space. The ting is huge. Oh I found out all this wood I have been using is Cypress. For the beds for everything. It ought to last a while, Beale.
Old April 12, 2015   #9
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Sounds perfect, especially for cold composting. I think you're going to love it!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #10
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Sounds perfect, especially for cold composting. I think you're going to love it!
Thank You! Beale.