Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 30, 2009   #1
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Default what new greens this year?

Hello all,

I like low-maintenance veggies, and am trying a few new greens this year.

Brand new: New Zealand spinach (4 coming up!), and have seeds for shiso (red and green), 2 types of cress, orach and salsola are planted....

Weve tried and like: salad burnett, purslane, miners lettuce, plantain for the bunnies, dock, Malabar spinach, beet greens, mache, arugula, mustards, kales, lettuces

tried and didnt like: lambs quarters (lil too minerally/ chalky), he doesnt like chard, staghorn (erba stella)

Tried but never saw any come up (dud seeds?) Holland Greens (tyfon), strawberry blite

What are your favorite greens?
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2009   #2
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm.... Collards are my fave!!

Old May 1, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

This year my favorite green is nettles. As in stinging nettles! Makes a great tea, tastes green and very smooth. Easy to dry. High in calcium and iron. I finally had a good crop of nettles this spring, which I've been trying to establish for a couple years. Now it's coming up everywhere! (a good thing)

I also love my perennial kale. It hasn't gone to seed in the 3-5 years I've had it. I got one plant as a 3-ft. cutting and the other as a 4-inch seedling, and both are huge now. Produces a steady crop of big leaves, sweeter than other kales, though I like it best when the weather is cooler. Also known as walking kale and tree collards. I've lost count of how many big cuttings and rooted plants I've given away. Everyone who comments on it gets offered some.

Plantain is one of my favorite first-aid herbs, so I chew a piece to make a green band-aid as needed, but I don't especially like the taste (though it's growing on me) and wouldn't eat it as a green.

I grow at least four other kales: dinosaur/black/Tuscan, red russian, peacock, curly. I've gotten in the habit of keeping them for a few years, eating the flower buds in the spring (like broccolini...kalini?), harvesting lots of smaller tender leaves as the plants get larger and woodier and more sculptural (works best for dino and russian).

I planted mache one year and it's come back from seed ever since, expanding its territory each year. This year it outcompeted a patch of yellow yarrow! It seems like I have only a month to eat it, once it gets some size, before it all suddenly goes to seed.

More a seasoning than a green -- I like my patch of garlic chives. Wide flat leaves with a mild garlic flavor that I enjoy nibbling on in the garden.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #4
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

I like Beet Greens, Chard and any that have a slight bitterness to them.

We have red Russian Kale, two varieties of chard, a couple of beet patchesbeing grown for greens, and a humongous George collard plant growing now. i have sewn some Malabar spinach and two varieties of Amaranth, and am waiting for some Spring Broccoli Raab seeds from Johnny's. Supposedly they can be planted all year round and will be ready for harvest in 40 days or so. I'm going to try to keep some going inside when the summer heat arrives.

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #5
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the replies!

Richard- we had mustard volunteers in our side yard in TN, and love collards.

Habitat- I have never eaten nettles- are gloves enough to handle them? Ive got some prickly pear pads rooted, and darn if the glochids dont get me almost every time! (they get caught in the leather gloves and get me later)

I have wondered if the tree kale is worth getting- sounds like a special/hardy/prolific thing!

Jan- Ive never successfully grown broccoli or raab. Will have to try to plant amaranth (we have the weedy/landrace here, our kept bunnies like eating it)
Old May 2, 2009   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

garnet, Yes, I do wear gloves to pick the nettles, but then when I bring them in the house to wash them, I often take off the gloves. I've found my fingertips are not as sensitive to the nettles, though they do start to feel a little numb after I've washed a whole potful of nettles.

I knew an herbalist once who claimed she was starting to get arthritis in her hands, so she purposely put her hands into the nettle patch, and the stiffness went away. (looking for the silver lining)
Old May 4, 2009   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I got some shiso! Someone left a tray of red shiso seedlings in a tray of mud at the community garden yesterday, so I potted some up. They were still there today, looking less vibrant, so I rescued some more.

They look pretty enough to grow in the flower garden. And shiso is another self-sower.
Old May 4, 2009   #8
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

fantastic!
I read that the red is a little more mild than the green. Im curious about the flavor, Ive never tried it....

Another "pretty" green I have is a Celosia from SSE, found out that they are edible from Lost Crops of Africa (love that book!) I got started late last year, only got 3 plants to seed, but increased my seeds slightly. and I am totally sneaking pretty veggies into my dads garden :-)
Old May 4, 2009   #9
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Garnetmoth.

There is a whole family of greens that are not very well known outside of Japan and parts of Asia. I refer to Komatsuna. Komatsuna trace their origins to turnip greens. They have been cultivated in Japan for centuries. During that period, much crossing has been accomplished with different mustard varieties, cabbages, and bok choys. Most Komatsuna varieties grow as large as collard greens or kale.

So far, I have tried growing four varieties; one cabbage cross, two mustard crosses, and one possibly without crosses. I didn't especially like the cabbage cross. The flavor was kind of washed out IMO. I really like the mustard crosses. My wife, our son, and I eat them added to salads, stir-fried, and added to soups.

I grew Tyfon this Spring and like its flavor, but not as much as Komatsuna's.

Have you tried growing Tah Tsoi? Misome? Mibuna? Mizuna?

Here's a link to Evergreen Seed Company, and another to Kitazawa Seed Company. I get a lot of my Asian greens seeds from them.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_komatsuna.html

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/komjapmusspi.html

Komatsuna are hardy down to 10 degrees F. I grow them unprotected through the winter here in the Willamette Valley. My yard got down to 16 or 17 F this past winter. The winter before got down to 14 F. The greens didn't look happy, but they certainly lived. I now have a cattle panel greenhouse that I will grow Komatsuna in this fall/winter. I'm looking forward to it.

Best,

Michael
Got compost?
Old May 4, 2009   #10
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Those look neat Michael! Thanks for the heads up. I tried to grow bok choi in TN, and it bolted right away.